Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Authorized User Requirements and Credit Report impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Authorized User Requirements and Credit Report impact

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
AMEX reserves the right to go after them, to the extent you don't pay the bill.
And that is the only reason they want the info. Nothing whatsoever to do with Homeland Security.

Screw 'em. Since when are additional cardholders responsible? It's the other way around. You are responsible for them. Nice try Amex.

That said, I have 3 additional cardmembers, none of whom even have a SSN, much less provided it to Amex. Never a problem. Put 999-99-9999 in the boxes online.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:29 pm

If you have an additional on a small business who has stiffed amex they will normally seek repayment prior to new card issue even if that persons spend was a for a prior business and not personal. As always exceptions ..ie amex has no way of knowing additional stiffed amex prior, and other exceptions etc.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:39 pm

I tried to add my wife when I got the SPG card a couple months ago, and was told that it was required. I deferred as I didn't have it, but after getting it from her later, I called back and had her added without them asking for it.

As I said, it was a few months ago, but it may be worth calling and trying with a different CSR.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by pjoalfa
That said, I have 3 additional cardmembers, none of whom even have a SSN, much less provided it to Amex.
You have 3 additional cardmembers who are not residents of the US? Illegal aliens? Who doesn't have a SSN other than those two categories of people and why in the world are you getting them cards and taking responsibility for their bills?

I am really puzzled why this is even an issue for you.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Illegal aliens?
Welcome to Miami. It's more likely that pjoalfa has family members or friends who are frequent visitors to the USA or to other places where USD is the currency.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
I also received a call today requesting SSN and some other information about my assistant for whom I had requested an additional card on a business account.
Originally Posted by pannhead51
I've run into this before and was told it was related to requirements of the Patriot Act. I didn't inquire any further in that I didn't really care and furnished the info as requested.
Originally Posted by S.Bling
I have never been able to add an additional cardholder (to a personal or business account) WITHOUT providing an SSN - this is going back at least 5 years.
Originally Posted by jgsx
I've added several additional card holders in the last few years with no SSN.
Originally Posted by willcoop
2 months ago added my mother to my Hilton card over the phone. Didn't remember her SSN. No problem.

Added my brother to my Blue a month ago over the phone. Forgot his SSN. No issue.

<snip>

:-: But, bottom line, you don't need the SSN to add additional card holders. :-:
Hmm, I always remember SS# being required dating back 5-10+ years.
Gotta love FT; the truth is always out there somewhere...

Regards
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:14 am
mia

Originally Posted by scubadu
Gotta love FT; the truth is always out there somewhere...
The discussionworthy characteristic of American Express is the extent to which practice deviates from policy.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
The discussionworthy characteristic of American Express is the extent to which practice deviates from policy.
Sure, and that's fair. Though isn't it interesting that policy and practice could deviate so wildly on something of this nature? For example, in an age of almost immersing information technology, doesn't it at least seem plausible that if a ~$54 billion a year financial corporation had a policy requiring SSN for adding of additional card holders, that said IT system would simply forcibly implement that policy? (i.e. the card holder couldn't be added w/o SSN period, full stop.)

And whatever the policy is (SSN or SSN) it doesn't seem like this would be a difficult policy to train representatives on. Many policies are difficult to train reps on (promotions, terms & conditions, the new Plat/Cent travel benefit, etc) but this seems incredibly cut and dry and not at all ambiguous; a) SSN or b) no SSN.

Regards
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:33 am
mia

Originally Posted by scubadu
...IT system would simply forcibly implement that policy?
Agreed. I just replicated the process of requesting an additional card on a business account and the online form asks only for a name, but I see this notation: Your employee's social security number and date of birth will be requested to activate an American Express OPEN® business account. I cannot think of a reason this is done by telephone rather than through the online form.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by jgsx
... I even added one for my feline when there was a bonus for signing up an additional card holder.
Up until this point, I was on the fence on this issue and could agree with arguments on both sides. After reading this, I would expect AMEX to take note and demand SSNs, 100% of the time, for anyone whose name is embossed on a card.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
My experience: I added 3 additional users to my Plat charge card using the online form less than a month ago and just left the SS#'s blank. It went thru fine and the cards are in the hands of the users. I originally left the Birthdates blank too but THAT wouldn't go fly, said that Birthdates were required. Perhaps things have indeed changed since then or perhaps like so many things it all depends on who you are talking to at the moment.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
nope, but I did open the Gold PR and the Plat card within a couple of months of each other and have been buying coins so am guessing I probably fit into some higher risk group.
Out of curiosity are your AUs your children?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by Okto
Up until this point, I was on the fence on this issue and could agree with arguments on both sides. After reading this, I would expect AMEX to take note and demand SSNs, 100% of the time, for anyone whose name is embossed on a card.
What's funny about it was I put middle name THE last name CAT
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
You have 3 additional cardmembers who are not residents of the US? Illegal aliens? Who doesn't have a SSN other than those two categories of people and why in the world are you getting them cards and taking responsibility for their bills?

I am really puzzled why this is even an issue for you.
Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Miami. It's more likely that pjoalfa has family members or friends who are frequent visitors to the USA or to other places where USD is the currency.

You'll note my locations over <--- there, lots of foreign family. Got some in BOS, too!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:36 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
I have 3 additional cardmembers, none of whom even have a SSN, much less provided it to Amex.
I have two additional cardmembers without SSN's as well. Never been an issue.

Talk about jumping to conclusions . How about someone who is neither a resident of nor a citizen of the US? Does everyone in the world have a US SSN? Of course not. Duh!

and why in the world are you getting them cards and taking responsibility for their bills?
And why in the world are you questioning his/my decisions? The question doesn't even deserve a response but I couldn't resist

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.