Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Plat, vegas nightclubs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC
Canadian Plat, vegas nightclubs?

I'm heading to Vegas later this year and would like to know if the Canadian Plat concierge can get us into nightclubs.

I know others have had alot of success with the US concierges getting people into clubs in Vegas but what about the Canadian concierge?

I read somewhere that the Canadian concierge service isn't outsourced to Circles and is instead taken care of in-house by Amex. Does this mean they don't have the same "magic abilities" as those concierges in the US?

Has anyone tried getting Canadian Amex Concierge to get them onto guestlists and restaurants in Vegas?

I would apply for this card just for that alone if it's a yes. (we have a large-ish group and the guy/girl ratio isn't very favorable).
Old Jul 10, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
I doubt even a US Platinum Card would do you much good. They're a dime a dozen. Good luck with your Canadian Platinum Card.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jandersinc
I doubt even a US Platinum Card would do you much good. They're a dime a dozen. Good luck with your Canadian Platinum Card.
Really? I looked at some older (last few months) flyertalk posts and from what I've read the plat concierge is able to get many posters onto the guest-lists of nightclubs. Just want to know if Canadian platinum concierge can do the same.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Last time I asked - just over a year ago as a Cent holder I was told

"We do have several contacts at many of the great clubs throughout Las Vegas however the best way to get access to any club is to do bottle service. There are several clubs in Las Vegas such as XS that do not except any guest list. There are other clubs such as Tryst that do take guest list however the prior will go to those with bottle service reservations. Some of the clubs also decided on a day by day basis. If it is a holiday or a special DJ will be there, etc, they may not take guest list even though they usually do. Like just about any club in the world, the final decision always is in the hands of the doorman as entry is always at the doorman's discretion. We would be more than happy to inquire about guest list and bottle service at any club of your choice or send you a list of the clubs that we work with on a regular basis if you prefer."

I read this as "we have no real clout"
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
What is the cost of the Canadian Plat? Its $450 in the US. You are better off taking that $450 (or whatever it is in Canada) and just buying bottle service. Any club will let you in with an unfavorable girl/guy ratio, but they may charge you more for bottles. Unless its a super busy night where they may only have a few tables open.

If you are just wanting to get on the guest list what is the point of opening an expensive credit card to just save $30 each person?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by millere2
What is the cost of the Canadian Plat? Its $450 in the US. You are better off taking that $450 (or whatever it is in Canada) and just buying bottle service. Any club will let you in with an unfavorable girl/guy ratio, but they may charge you more for bottles. Unless its a super busy night where they may only have a few tables open.

If you are just wanting to get on the guest list what is the point of opening an expensive credit card to just save $30 each person?
Cost of the Canadian Plat is $399 and if we can get on the guest list and skip the line, it pays for itself already (the cover to get in would cost that much). We got quotes for tables at ~5k for our group of 12-13, which is more than we want to pay. We don't really want a table, we just want to get in. Also from what I've read, getting in with 10 guys and 3 girls is pretty much impossible if we just lined up/walked in. Is that quote about right for bottle service? Is that still the way to go?

I also just recently cancelled my visa so I'm looking for another card and am not sure if the annual fee is worth it (if the concierge can get us onto guest lists, that would probably make it worthwhile commit to the annual fee and to try for a year).

I'm not sure how useful the platinum benefits are to me though... I have access to CX lounges when I fly with them, and have PP membership through another program, so lounge access is covered pretty well.

I may be able get more return on spending on a competitor's product, but I think being able to book packed restaurants and get tickets to sold out events, and maybe get on vegas nightclub guest lists is more valuable to me than a slightly better rate of return.

At what level of spending minimum do you think would make the platinum worth it?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:42 am

You're dreaming if you think the Platinum Card is going to change your life, or even really make much of a difference.

You have really high expectations for this card and I think you'll be very disappointed with it.

No one, especially a night club that's quoting you $5k for a table, is going to give a rat's you know what about your Platinum Card.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Not sure about the Canadian Plat, but I actually found my US plat very useful even without bottle service.

I was in Las Vegas for a bachelor party (all guys), and we were able to skip the lines and pay no cover at a handful of clubs. The concierge apparently has a contact person at most of the clubs in Vegas, and they were able to contact him/her directly and make the arrangements.

I was actually pretty surprised that they were able to pull it off! In total, we probably saved more than $1000 in cover changes that week.

If Canadian Plat can't do it, see if they'll patch you through to the U.S. folks.

Good luck!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:35 am

If they really can get you in for free, that'd be nice. I just don't expect much from the card other than the stated benefits. Especially a Platinum Card because there are so many of them.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:59 am

VIP bottle service will get you in and a reserved seating area. It is not cheap but then nor are the $20 drinks if you go in without the service.

At the top clubs 10 guys and 3 girls probably won't happen without a decent tip to the guys at the door. $100 use to be decent but not so much anymore.

Your Plat card will get you nada.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
If you get to clubs early you can get in with any amount of guys. I have been to Vegas two dozen times with 4, 6, 8, and even 10 guys (bach party), many of those times with no girls and we have not had problems getting in. Ask cab drivers for a handful of club passes. Find the ones that are for free entry and get there 30 min early. Maybe split your group up in to two sections so its not a ton of guys in a row. Many of the club passes dont get you in totally free anymore, but are just discounted admission. Waiting in line is not a bad thing. Bring a few drinks each while you are in line and booze up because once you enter the clubs your wallet will be empty very quick.

I will be in Vegas in 2 weeks actually. When I am there I will call the Plat Concierge and see what they can do about skipping the line/no cover. If it works I will report back here, but I too will be shocked if it works.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thissnisnottaken35
Not sure about the Canadian Plat, but I actually found my US plat very useful even without bottle service.

I was in Las Vegas for a bachelor party (all guys), and we were able to skip the lines and pay no cover at a handful of clubs. The concierge apparently has a contact person at most of the clubs in Vegas, and they were able to contact him/her directly and make the arrangements.

I was actually pretty surprised that they were able to pull it off! In total, we probably saved more than $1000 in cover changes that week.

If Canadian Plat can't do it, see if they'll patch you through to the U.S. folks.

Good luck!
Yeah it seems like people in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...as-la-nyc.html and a couple other "what did the plat concierge do for you" ish threads have great success with US plat card and Vegas...

Just curious, if I get the CDN plat and find out later their concierge is useless or the card is of no value to me, does cancelling it before the renewal date get me a partial refund on the annual fee? If it does, it might be worth a shot.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:03 pm

Went there last weekend. Tried to get Plat Concierge to help me with this, but as someone already stated, they weren't able to do anything (except for getting me a "deal" on bottle service).

However, the Head Promoter at the Palms (Chris Hornak) was able to do wonders for my group. He really helped our group get into some nice places. If you want, I can shoot over his info via PM. He was able to get our group into XS and Marquee w/ a 10 minute wait & no cover (it was $50 per person at XS, and $30 per person the nights that we went).

As for XS, they do have a guest list (we were able to get on it).

My group hit up the Palms Clubs (Moon/Ghostbar/Rain), XS, and Marquee. Of all of those, Marquee (@ the Costmo) was by far the best. It is very new and has the perfect crowd size (enough for a party, but you only wait 2-3 mins for a drink).

XS was the most overrated club. Now, if you get bottle service, it is probably different. They pack in way too many people, and it takes forever to get a drink. It was nice to say that I've been there, but I do not think I will ever go back (unless I get bottle service ).
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PlatMan007
Went there last weekend. Tried to get Plat Concierge to help me with this, but as someone already stated, they weren't able to do anything (except for getting me a "deal" on bottle service).

However, the Head Promoter at the Palms (Chris Hornak) was able to do wonders for my group. He really helped our group get into some nice places. If you want, I can shoot over his info via PM. He was able to get our group into XS and Marquee w/ a 10 minute wait & no cover (it was $50 per person at XS, and $30 per person the nights that we went).

As for XS, they do have a guest list (we were able to get on it).

My group hit up the Palms Clubs (Moon/Ghostbar/Rain), XS, and Marquee. Of all of those, Marquee (@ the Costmo) was by far the best. It is very new and has the perfect crowd size (enough for a party, but you only wait 2-3 mins for a drink).

XS was the most overrated club. Now, if you get bottle service, it is probably different. They pack in way too many people, and it takes forever to get a drink. It was nice to say that I've been there, but I do not think I will ever go back (unless I get bottle service ).
Yes! that would be great! I am not sure how I would approach him in the call though, we're not booked to stay at the palms.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by ykflier
Yes! that would be great! I am not sure how I would approach him in the call though, we're not booked to stay at the palms.
PM'd you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.