Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptance in Iceland?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Acceptance in Iceland?

Planning a trip to Iceland in the coming months. Is the Amex card widely accepted? I use my Amex pretty exclusively so if I have to use something else I might have to sign up for something.

I read somewhere that in Europe now companies use a RFID chip to scan cards which my card doesn't have. Is this a must- have?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by priapism
I read somewhere that in Europe now companies use a RFID chip to scan cards which my card doesn't have.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

There are two types of chips commonly placed in credit cards. RFID chips are used for "contactless" payment of small transactions. Cards with these chips are available in both the USA and Europe, but the systems are not reliably inter-operative. In other words, a USA RFID chip may not be recognized by a European reader.

More likely you read about the other type of chip called "EMV" which are gradually replacing magnetic stripes. These require the card to be inserted into the reader. EMV cards are not yet used in the USA, but this year a half dozen card issuers have announced cards with EMV for travelers. Please review this thread to understand your options:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...signature.html
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:36 am

American Express is accepted in Iceland.
You just pay the amount on the invoice.
Not like Denmark, when using a foreign credit card, they charge you extra for that (restaurants).
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:03 am

I am not sure about Iceland in particular but some stores/restaurants in Europe have problems with taking non-chip cards, in the UK they will often refuse completely while in other countries they will ask for photo ID (e.g. a passport). Therefore if is a good idea to carry it with you if you are planning on using Amex - I had just this problem yesterday.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ptxl
American Express is accepted in Iceland.
You just pay the amount on the invoice.
Not like Denmark, when using a foreign credit card, they charge you extra for that (restaurants).
Great to hear, as I hear things are expensive enough as it is!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have any suggestions on what part of town is best to stay in? We prefer to rent an apartment than a hotel, but anything reasonably walkable would be preferred. We hope to only rent a car for 2-3 days for trips to the interior.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I suggest you look in Europe section of Flyertalk for discussions of travel in Iceland. There are several recent threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:28 pm

I was in a discotheque and paid over €850 for 2 bottles of Barcardi Rum. Each bottle 0.7 L
In NY or London, you are nothing. Overthere you are the King

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.