Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best companion card alongside Amex Business Plat?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Best companion card alongside Amex Business Plat?

Looking for expert advice on my situation --

I current have a business Amex Platinum that gives me a steady stream of MR points, which are great and I have learned a lot about using them effectively on here.

I also have a (joint) Chase Mileage Plus Visa Signature for family expenses. United is my primary airline since I am based out of SFO, I'd say my secondary airline choice would be Virgin America (domestic) or BA (trans-atl).

I currently have a Blue Sky card as my third, personal card, but feeling like this isn't the best option, and its a paid to use because to cash in the points, I need to put Travel expenses on this card and reimburse them, but 90% of my travel expenses go onto one of the other cards.

So what is the best deal right now to maximize benefits and sign-up bonuses for someone that already holds and Amex Plat and Mileage Plus card?
I wouldn't mind a card to combine more points into my MR account, but since I already have Platinum, there wouldn't be any new/additional benefits to the card that I don't already have access to. Also I might not qualify for "new signup" offers from Amex or Chase, right?

I use this card the least of the three, so something that is appropriate for low-volume spending.

I don't have any Hotel-based cards, and do spend a good bit on nice (4-5 star) hotels and high-end dining. Tend to travel mostly in Europe and Japan.

What card would the experts here carry as their "third" card after their business card and primary family expenses card?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:19 pm

I would take a look at the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. 50,000 UR points after $3,000 use in the first 3 months (I know you said you're a low volume spender, but if you can ramp up the spending for the first 3 months). No Foreign Transaction Fees for when you're overseas. A good variety of benefits (Travel, Purchase, Return Protections). The ability to transfer points 1:1 to Continental, BA, Marriott, and the IHG hotel lines. And the fact that the card itself is just so pretty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.