Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Business Platinum Offer: 100,000 MR for $5k spend

AMEX Business Platinum Offer: 100,000 MR for $5k spend

Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:26 pm

My husband also got this offer recently. Before that he passed 3 times on 50k MR for the personal Premier Gold Amex.

My question is, is it worth the $450 annual fee ($5000 in spending by October, doable but nothing like the $500 in spending offer of the Premier Rewards card) considering the Premier Gold card is $175 annual fee but waived for the first year?

And do you need to have an actual business to apply for the Business Platinum? We can't figure out why he was targeted for such an offer.

Since I'm already a Plat holder and the more frequent traveller, the "only" benefit to us is the extra MR.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Originally Posted by ENFO
My husband also got this offer recently. Before that he passed 3 times on 50k MR for the personal Premier Gold Amex.

My question is, is it worth the $450 annual fee ($5000 in spending by October, doable but nothing like the $500 in spending offer of the Premier Rewards card) considering the Premier Gold card is $175 annual fee but waived for the first year?

And do you need to have an actual business to apply for the Business Platinum? We can't figure out why he was targeted for such an offer.

Since I'm already a Plat holder and the more frequent traveller, the "only" benefit to us is the extra MR.
It boils down to "is 100,000 miles worth $450?" My answer was YES! Plus, I was planning on applying for Global Traveler anyway so that's $100 saved. Plus, there are some simple ways to get the $200 travel fee's reimbursement. So, now I was down to "is 100,000 miles worth $100?" Again YES!

Re: do you have to have a business? Yes! Here's what I did. Gave my business a name. On the application listed it as 'sole proprietorship'. On the revenue selection choose the lowest option, something like 0 - $50,000 (so far my business is at $0). Get card - spend evenings contemplating how to spend that 100,000 miles/points!!

Good luck.

Last edited by masonp123; Jun 12, 2011 at 10:54 am
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:47 pm

I just updated my email preferences and selected yes to receive offers for new credit cards and upgrades to current credit cards. Do you think this will give me offers for MR cards? I just got the PRG for 75K (after emailing and asking to be bumped up to the offer I wasn't targeted to) but I really want the Business Platinum. I've never once been targeted for anything from Amex!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 11:29 am

Do you happen to have the bonus ID code for the 100k MR for 5k spend for Business Platinum?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by compddd
Do you happen to have the bonus ID code for the 100k MR for 5k spend for Business Platinum?
Read the thread.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:21 pm
Used to be highman123

Troubles with 100k upgrade for Business PLatinum card

Folks, I'm looking for your advice here.

Through a lengthy discussion with rep I applied for a Business Platinum Card in June with 25k bonus. I activated and called in that I'd like to Bonus ID 5999 applied.

First rep said no way - next 2 (!) reps said no issue at all - I should just call when 5k are spent and settled and would get the bonus. I was asking to add a note to the account.

In the meantime I also applied/activate and bumped bonus for a AMEX Gold personal thanks to FT. After 2 denials I got the bump.

However I called in yesterday in order to finalize my bump for the Business Platinum and teh rep seemed to not have any idea what I was talking about. I hung up and called again and diff rep but again no idea (?) and connected me to supervisor. I thought of finally someone to talked to but to my surprise she said NO DEAL. I was very nice and friendly and was asking for a reason and she said because of the prior bump I'm not eligible. I was asking what rule that is and that I got different information last time. She said the rep may have been 'confused'.

She said I should send a secure message.

I called in later and rep seemingly saw my ticket and said no dice I should send email.

I did next day and got denied without any reason. I sent another email today to Social media - no luck.

My questions:

- has anyone seen being denied the bump in a short order for two cards - is that normal?
- do i still have a chance for the bump and what is the best strategy?

I spend lot's of money on that AMEX and intent to keep it but I feel duped that I got two reps confirm info for a bonus and then get denied weeks later.

Last edited by mia; Jul 29, 2011 at 7:30 am Reason: Removed circular link after merge.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by highman123
I spend lot's of money on that AMEX and intent to keep it but I feel duped that I got two reps confirm info for a bonus and then get denied weeks later.
Did you ever get a CSR to approve the points? If so, what did it take??

Last edited by mia; Aug 15, 2011 at 10:58 am Reason: Please do not quote the entire text of a multi-paragraph post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.