Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Possible downside (credit report wise) of a short-term Amex account

Old May 28, 11, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

I know this is unwise in principle but does anyone know what the possible/typical ramifications are, credit-report wise, if one signs up for either an Amex charge or credit card and a few months later closes the account?
Old May 29, 11, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by jspira View Post
I know this is unwise in principle but does anyone know what the possible/typical ramifications are, credit-report wise, if one signs up for either an Amex charge or credit card and a few months later closes the account?
In order to give you an educated answer, you would need to give some additional info such as debt ratio, balance-carrying, etc. Generally, churning does have a short-term hit of anywhere from 10-50 points, depending on the factors mentioned above, as well as other mitigating circumctance.
Old May 29, 11, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
In order to give you an educated answer, you would need to give some additional info such as debt ratio, balance-carrying, etc. Generally, churning does have a short-term hit of anywhere from 10-50 points, depending on the factors mentioned above, as well as other mitigating circumctance.
Thanks very much, Ritz, for the general answer. My debt ratio is very low (the way I calculated it, it's 6% of monthly income), I have one credit card balance I am carrying (I was tempted by 1.9% for life so I have a 16,000$ balance on a 33,000$ line), and since I'm new at addressing these types of questions, I'm not sure if there's any additional information I should be providing.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: