Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
USA Platinum cardholders reported $100, $200 and $500 versions of a peremptory retention offer:
You will receive up to $X00 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014....These statement credits are in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit2 benefit already included in your Membership
Most US lounges, and some AA lounges, had also accepted Priority Pass. Priority Pass access ended on 3.22.2014. See post 649.

As a result of the recently announced merger between American Airlines and US Airways, we have been informed by both lounge partners that they’ve unfortunately chosen to no longer participate in the Priority Pass lounge access program effective March 22, 2014.
Print Wikipost

AA/US lounge access going away March 22, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dw
I was very straightforward. I said:

a) I understand AA and US lounge access is going away, and the AA lounges was the benefit I used the most;
b) I understand that some accounts were targeted for additional $200 or $500 credits and that my account was one of them based on the e-mail I received;
c) As my annual fee will be posting in early February, is there anything they are doing for cardholders who were not targeted for the $200/$500 offer?
I also called and used this strategy.
I was offered (and accepted) the $100 credit.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Ordered 2 $100.00 today. Should post in 2 or 3 days.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by gold07
is it worth getting the 50K miles rather than the $450?
At the very least you can convert 50k into $500 in gift cards or travel spend, so yes there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that 50k > $450
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:34 pm

Will the Platinum annual fee be lowered with loss of Admirals/US A clubs?

Losing the Admirals/US Airway clubs this spring is about 30% of the card's value -- to me. Will they lower the annual fee, will another large perk come in its place, or could they still be negotiating with American Airlines to give this back to us? I have to assume users will be leaving in droves.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
AA/US lounge access for Plats will not be coming back. The Citi Executive® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard is the only card that will offer AA/US lounge access after March 2014. Amex sent an email offering between $100 - $500 in airline (AA/US only) credits for current cardholders.

The annual fee is not going down, that's a certainty. Amex will attempt to replace the AA/US lounge access benefits with other benefits, still to be determined. The long term plan appears to be the Centurion lounges, which are popping up in LAS, DFW, with additional lounges under construction in several major hubs.

Amex may lose some plat members, but I think many will still around for 2014 to use the credits and then reevaluate. There are still benefits to the cards, how much they are worth is specific to each individual.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cnn
When you called did they tell you this credit would only be valid after 3/22? Or they just promised to give $100 credit without any restriction? Thanks
The $100 invoice credit was just something they offered me with no restrictions.

The additional $100 airline credit is good for use after 3/22.

I got both.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:59 pm

Club access for me and guests is/was my #1 perk of the card. I don't really use the other stuff much at all. Are there rumors about what the additional benefit(s) will be?

The Centurion clubs cost Platinum members a fee, yes? I thought it was $50 for platinum members, free for Black cards, but perhaps it is free for both now. What about guests? Could building their own clubs really be cheaper than paying whatever American wanted? I find that extremely hard to believe.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by darkom
The Centurion clubs cost Platinum members a fee, yes? I thought it was $50 for platinum members, free for Black cards, but perhaps it is free for both now.
Platinum gets you into the Centurion lounges for free, IIRC.

Originally Posted by darkom
Could building their own clubs really be cheaper than paying whatever American wanted? I find that extremely hard to believe.
This decision was not made by American Express, it was made by Citi & AA. Citi wanted the exclusive right to issue credit cards that get you into the Admiral's Clubs, and AA agreed. I seriously doubt there's any amount of money American Express could've paid that would've kept things the same.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Platinum gets you into the Centurion lounges for free, IIRC.
Yes this is true but with only two locations it's not exactly compelling. I thought it was charge for Platinum (there was a trial period for LAS), but I just checked here and it seems Plats are free now.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:17 am

Carrying one card for all of these perks is what made the Platinum so great. Having to have memberships or various cards for different perks is too annoying to keep up with.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: United
I called platinum to get any compensation, no luck, any script here?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Went the online Amex chat route and was informed by the rep that I'd receive the additional $100 credit. Strangely, the rep said that the credit was good for all airline incidentals purchased after January 1, 2014 (not the March date others are reporting). Has anyone else heard this? I'm wondering if I should just pass this off as an uninformed rep.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lxjenkins
...Has anyone else heard this?
There are a few similar reports earlier in the thread, but the written material states that the incremental AA/US benefit becomes effective after the lounge access benefit expires.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:54 pm

Sitting in the SFO AC right now with 2 guests courtesy of my newly minted AA Citi Card. Traveling on Virgin but made to feel welcome here.

Nice that I don't have to be flying AA
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:05 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
AA/US lounge access going away March 22, 2014

Plat agent today said emails are still coming out between now and end of February. I haven't received one yet, so I guess I should just be patient. ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.