AA/US lounge access going away March 22, 2014

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 14, 10:49 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
USA Platinum cardholders reported $100, $200 and $500 versions of a peremptory retention offer:
You will receive up to $X00 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014....These statement credits are in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit2 benefit already included in your Membership
Most US lounges, and some AA lounges, had also accepted Priority Pass. Priority Pass access ended on 3.22.2014. See post 649.

As a result of the recently announced merger between American Airlines and US Airways, we have been informed by both lounge partners that they’ve unfortunately chosen to no longer participate in the Priority Pass lounge access program effective March 22, 2014.
Print Wikipost

Old May 16, 11, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Citi does not seem to have the same rivalry with American Express that has developed between Chase and American Express.
+1

At least Citi offerS the dAArkside AMEX (I know it is not issued by AMEX)...
Old Jul 17, 11, 6:39 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH, Marriott & SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
...a big omission from their stable.
The gap has been filled by the new Citi Executive Aadvantage World Elite Mastercard, which includes Admirals Club access:

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...ld-mastercard/
Old Jul 17, 11, 8:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Hmm. Good benefits. But $450 of benefits? Unless they're going to cut Amex Plat out, no. But, if they do, and why not, then yes.
Old Jul 18, 11, 12:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mia View Post
The gap has been filled by the new Citi Executive Aadvantage World Elite Mastercard, which includes Admirals Club access:

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...ld-mastercard/
Yep. This could get interesting. I love my Amex Platinum but if this happens I'd have to reconsider the card. I certainly get value out of it, but the relative cost of an AC membership plays a large part of that.

Considering that I can give myself an AC membership for free through BE, I'm not sure I'd keep my Plat and I certainly wouldn't give Citi the money without the rest of the benefits I'd expect for $450.
Old Jul 18, 11, 5:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jammanxc View Post
American Airlines club in HNL accepts Priority Pass
Yep, They sure did in March for my wife and I.
Old Jul 18, 11, 5:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mreed911 View Post
Yep. This could get interesting. I love my Amex Platinum but if this happens I'd have to reconsider the card. I certainly get value out of it, but the relative cost of an AC membership plays a large part of that.

Considering that I can give myself an AC membership for free through BE, I'm not sure I'd keep my Plat and I certainly wouldn't give Citi the money without the rest of the benefits I'd expect for $450.
Am Ex would loose my business if AA Admirals Club was dropped.

Last edited by elkhornne; Jul 18, 11 at 7:58 am
Old Jul 18, 11, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by elkhornne View Post
Am Ex would loose my business if AA Admirals Club was dropped.
Loose it with what? A wrench?
Old Jul 18, 11, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mreed911 View Post
Loose it with what? A wrench?
hehe
Old Oct 1, 13, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriot Platinum; UA Silver
AMEX Platinum not showing American Airlines Club

I went to the AMEX Platinum Site to check on the Airport Clubs they were providing access to and low and behold American Airlines was no longer Showing Up?

Does anyone know what the story is?

Old Oct 1, 13, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by MachIV View Post
I went to the AMEX Platinum Site to check on the Airport Clubs they were providing access to and low and behold American Airlines was no longer Showing Up?

Does anyone know what the story is?

Shows up for me. Did a search for LAX and it showed up. Did one for all AA lounges and 31 showed up too.
https://www295.americanexpress.com/c..._c&benefitId=1
Old Oct 2, 13, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by EmptyKim View Post
Shows up for me. Did a search for LAX and it showed up. Did one for all AA lounges and 31 showed up too.
https://www295.americanexpress.com/c..._c&benefitId=1
I went to the AMEX Web site and looked for the Platinum Card, then check the benefits. US Air and Priority showed up but not AA. I am not a Platinum member. It may be that they are not offering AA to new members especially since AA does have a CC with Club Access. Interesting!
Old Oct 2, 13, 8:39 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH, Marriott & SPG Gold
I went to the AMEX Web site and looked for the Platinum Card, then check the benefits. US Air and Priority showed up but not AA.
Did you click the link provided by EmptyKim which clearly lists Admirals Clubs? American Express does not have the capability to exclude AA lounges from new card accounts. The lounges administer the program.
Old Oct 2, 13, 8:40 am

I went to the AMEX Web site and looked for the Platinum Card, then check the benefits. US Air and Priority showed up but not AA. I am not a Platinum member. It may be that they are not offering AA to new members especially since AA does have a CC with Club Access. Interesting!
Just talked to AMEX and it is true that access to the AA Club is no longer be provided with this card.
Old Oct 2, 13, 8:43 am

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
It still shows up on this promo page: http://transformtravel.americanexpre...enefits/Travel

The bonus offer/signup pages are notoriously bad about detailing all card benefits for either the Plat or other products. For example, it looks like you found a page with just US and PP, but this one shows PP Select in one section, then US and DL in another (with some horrible comma usage, no less): https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/platinum

If AA access went away, this thread would be one of the first places you'd hear about it. And a separate CC that also provides club access wouldn't have much bearing - just look at the giant menu of cards that grant access the next time you're in a DL club .
Old Oct 2, 13, 8:53 am

I would also surmise that AmEx would notify cardholders in advance of the change. I haven't received anything from AmEx regarding AA lounges disappearing.

Search this Thread