Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
USA Platinum cardholders reported $100, $200 and $500 versions of a peremptory retention offer:
You will receive up to $X00 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014....These statement credits are in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit2 benefit already included in your Membership
Most US lounges, and some AA lounges, had also accepted Priority Pass. Priority Pass access ended on 3.22.2014. See post 649.

As a result of the recently announced merger between American Airlines and US Airways, we have been informed by both lounge partners that they’ve unfortunately chosen to no longer participate in the Priority Pass lounge access program effective March 22, 2014.
Print Wikipost

AA/US lounge access going away March 22, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:29 am

I just got off the phone. Agent said what previous poster said...offer is targeted she can't do anything about it.

I asked to talk with retention dept. and explained that it really isn't worth it for me to keep the card as the main reason for my AF is to have the AC membership.

After holding for a while she came back with the same answer....trying to play the card of I already have $200 incidentals. I explained to her that is neither here nor there...you are taking away a benefit that will cost me $500 to purchase elsewhere, and only compensating me $200 for it.

I told her that as soon as I can transfer my MR points out I plan to cancel the card if there is nothing she can do for me. She said she could offer me a $50 statement credit. I said no thanks, and ended the call.

I plan on keeping this card until January anyway to get my $200 incidentals (standard). If they will give me $500 when I call up, i'll keep it until end of year.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, AmEx Platinum
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
My guess is that it is based on spend and how much you used the card in order to get into lounges (although I could be wrong). I have been using my quite a bit to gain access to several lounges, both here and abroad, so maybe that is why I got the $500 over the $200...but I don't put a whole lot of spend on my Plat card, i do most of my daily spend on SPG.

Agreed. I used to use my Plat card for general spend, but currently put little to no spending on my Plat card monthly, but I use it weekly to get into Admirals Clubs, and I got the $500 offer.

Good thing, too, because I would definitely have cancelled my Plat card if I didn't get the reimbursement to cover AC membership.

Basically this is just an extra hoop for me to jump through, which isn't that big of a deal, as long as the credit renews again next year. I fly through DFW almost every week, so I'll have to check out the Centurion club soon, I guess... Website makes it look pretty nice...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
My guess is that it is based on spend and how much you used the card in order to get into lounges (although I could be wrong). I have been using my quite a bit to gain access to several lounges, both here and abroad, so maybe that is why I got the $500 over the $200...but I don't put a whole lot of spend on my Plat card, i do most of my daily spend on SPG.
+1. Hardly any spend on the card but use AA lounge access quite extensively.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by shogunate03
+1. Hardly any spend on the card but use AA lounge access quite extensively.
Ditto
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:56 am

I got the $500 offer. It's probably because I use my US lounge benefit frequently, and I am one of those people who puts my daily spend on the Platinum as well. Personally, I'm very happy with the response - much more than I expected. I was anticipating something like a full PP membership (which kind of stinks because you pay for family to join you) or an incremental $250 so that they'd cover the lounge membership using your existing benefit.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 am

Now if they could only give US Plat holders CX Marco Polo Gold. . .
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:19 am

Hm, any luck so far in prompting for the credit? Relatively new card holder (early November) and was really looking forward to the AA/US lounges. Have not had the opportunity yet with the holiday season to actually use the benefit, and greatly disappointed since this was a key to 'justifying' the AF

I did not receive any kind of email or notification from AmEx
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:22 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
I haven't gotten any email from Amex yet about theses changes or the possibility of a $200 or $500 credit, and I access AA lounges about 2 times a month.
Same here-- I use the AA lounges about 2 times a month as well and still have not received any e-mail. Hopefully they are being sent out in batches and we will get ours shortly.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:22 am

$100 credit

Just called up customer service since I did not receive an e-mail offer yet. After speaking to the agent, she mentioned only a $100 credit and not $200 or $500 discussed so far.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Are the ones receiving the emails Personal Plat holders? Any Biz holders getting the emails?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by AtlanticBeach
The next shoe to drop will be US/AA status for Centurion Card holders. Any insight to this decision?
I believe the linked article mentioned that Cent's have lost it as well, although I am a cent and have not received an e-mail as of yet.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by bizorbetter
I believe the linked article mentioned that Cent's have lost it as well, although I am a cent and have not received an e-mail as of yet.
Yes, Cents have lost status as well.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
Yes, Cent holders will be losing Plat status. We received the official email this morning.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by explorer84
Are the ones receiving the emails Personal Plat holders? Any Biz holders getting the emails?
I was thinking that the statement credits were being given only to Personal Plat holders, but a friend who has the business card said he got an email for $200. Looks like it's pretty much YMMV as far as the statement credit goes
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, AmEx Platinum
Originally Posted by explorer84

I'm a personal card holder. $500 credit mentioned above, access the lounges frequently

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.