AA/US lounge access going away March 22, 2014

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 14, 10:49 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
USA Platinum cardholders reported $100, $200 and $500 versions of a peremptory retention offer:
You will receive up to $X00 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014....These statement credits are in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit2 benefit already included in your Membership
Most US lounges, and some AA lounges, had also accepted Priority Pass. Priority Pass access ended on 3.22.2014. See post 649.

As a result of the recently announced merger between American Airlines and US Airways, we have been informed by both lounge partners that they’ve unfortunately chosen to no longer participate in the Priority Pass lounge access program effective March 22, 2014.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 7, 13, 6:13 am

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Much ado about nothing, IMO. I'm sure AA and AmEx will renew the deal, but for obvious reasons they are limiting promotion right now.

It's likely a very valuable benefit not only to AmEx, but AA as well.
quite possibly so, but never underestimate the power of ego and corporate stupidity
Old Nov 7, 13, 7:57 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Much ado about nothing, IMO. I'm sure AA and AmEx will renew the deal, but for obvious reasons they are limiting promotion right now.

It's likely a very valuable benefit not only to AmEx, but AA as well.
Also, it's looking more likely that the DOJ and AA/US will come to a settlement over the merger, and let's not forget that US' lounges are in the program as well. Assuming the merger goes through, ultimately they'll both have to either stay in or leave the program.
Old Nov 7, 13, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott/SPG Plat, HH Diamond
I was called by Amex this morning with an offer to upgrade my BRG to a Platinum card. They were doing quite a hard sell on the benefits of having the card. The rep only listed Delta and US Air lounges.

I asked about the Admirals Club and was told that the partnership with AA for lounge access had not been renewed and therefore was not a benefit of the card. I said that without that, I didn't think it was worth it, but that I would look into the offer later.

I already have a personal Platinum card ...but I didn't mention that to the rep.
Old Nov 24, 13, 2:43 pm

Admiral's Club access gone from Plat Amex?

Was just bouncing around on the AmEX site and noticed that the terms for the Platinum card benefits clearly do not include Admirals Club access. Anyone have any insight? Is this for new cardholders only? Are current cardholders grandfathered in? This could seriously impact card apps going forward. It's not worth having the card without it IMO.
Old Nov 24, 13, 2:47 pm

Here's the link: https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...platinum/25330
Old Nov 24, 13, 3:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
On my account, benefits still list Admirals club.

Enjoy complimentary access to participating American Airlines Admirals Club®, Delta Sky Club® and US Airways® Club lounges with your Platinum Card®
Old Nov 24, 13, 3:52 pm

At least in Canada, Amex Platinum comes with Marco Polo Gold, which is oneworld Sapphire and should let you into AA lounges. Is this not a benefit stateside?
Old Nov 24, 13, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by claurianta2 View Post
At least in Canada, Amex Platinum comes with Marco Polo Gold, which is oneworld Sapphire and should let you into AA lounges. Is this not a benefit stateside?
I wish.
Old Nov 27, 13, 2:41 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Funny, not there on the Morgan Stanley page either.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d.../api/MS/1000/3

Enjoy complimentary access to participating airline lounges of US Airways® Club and Delta Sky Club® for you and your immediate family, or up to two traveling companions with the Airport Club Access Program11
Old Dec 4, 13, 8:32 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
AMEX Platinum and Centurion Card Members to lose AA/US club access beginning March 22

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/12/amex...r-lga-and-sfo/

What a bummer
Old Dec 4, 13, 8:38 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
It is a bummer. As much as I wish I could justify renewing the Platinum for another year, there is just not way to justify having it any longer without US/AA lounge access. The only way I'd renew if for another year is if they announced a Centuron lounge at Chicago O'Hare, which I haven't even heard rumblings about, so I don't expect it to happen.
Old Dec 4, 13, 8:49 am

Well, let's see what they do. I fly US almost 100% of the time, so that's a particularly bad loss for me. Given that lounge access is a core benefit of Platinum, they'll probably get aggressive and negotiate something. A full PP membership wouldn't shock me as it would restore US club benefits, unless something contractually prevents PP from doing that deal.
Old Dec 4, 13, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
WHY? I wonder why AA/US is making the change? I can understand DL dropping out of PP (around the time of the DL/NW merger--I thought it was a billiant strategic move at the time, especially since MSP and a few other airports had only DL lounges at the time) and I can understand the UA decision as they make it easier for people to fly other carrier's while taking advantage of the DL or UA lounges. I can also understand US not going forward with the AmEx Plat/Centurion lounge access when flying any carrier deal for the same reason. However, giving AA lounge access while flying AA just encourages people to fly AA when then have a choice.

I wonder whether AmEx is reluctantly being forced into getting into the lounge business.
Old Dec 4, 13, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
WHY? I wonder why AA/US is making the change?
Probably because AA wants people to use their branded (high fee) CC which gives lounge access. Makes sense from their perspective, but it's a real bummer for us Amex Plat cardholders.
Old Dec 4, 13, 9:12 am

The next shoe to drop will be US/AA status for Centurion Card holders. Any insight to this decision?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: