Originally Posted by JMapleton
You're going to throw it away?
I threw away a 1k Von Cleef card.
Old May 6, 2011, 1:52 pm
BLV
Original Poster

Yes, because it's "non-transferable and purchase must be made with member's Centurion Card", so that rules out giving it to someone, who could use it and I wouldn't feel comfortable sending out to internet strangers anyway
Old May 7, 2011, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by BLV
Yes, because it's "non-transferable and purchase must be made with member's Centurion Card", so that rules out giving it to someone, who could use it and I wouldn't feel comfortable sending out to internet strangers anyway
I have never seen the Winston card but on every 'gift card' I got from Centurion, none of them had traceable serial numbers on them. Only disclaimers on the back. I gave my Michael Koors one to my Dad who also has a Centurion and he used it with out incident.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Does anyone have any experience trying to use the gift cards with other Amex then the cent? Do the vendors actually pay a ton of attention?
Old May 9, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Does anyone have any experience trying to use the gift cards with other Amex then the cent? Do the vendors actually pay a ton of attention?
I would assume if you are in possession of a Cent it wouldn't matter which Amex you try to use, but if you are not a Cent holder and are trying to use another persons GC, I highly doubt it.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Some do, some don't. I clearly recall them sometimes saying that I must use the Centurion card. But I always use my Cent card anyways.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:42 pm

Forget about the fine print which I am sure I have seen it required on most.
Every single offer I have received and used the merchant wanted to see the Black Centurion Card + Passport or drivers license
Old May 10, 2011, 8:09 am
BLV
Original Poster

Having used all of the gift cards, every single merchant made sure that the purchase was paid using Cent. At least one of the jewelry stores checked it off against the list, I don't remember which one it was, but it was a New York location. +1 on the driver's license in some locations.
Old May 10, 2011, 8:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BLV
...checked it off against the list...
Do you mean the store had a list of the cardholders who had received a giftcard?
Old May 10, 2011, 9:53 am
BLV
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean the store had a list of the cardholders who had received a giftcard?
Yes, I just can't remember if it was Judith Ripka or Van Cleef. Now that I'm thinking more about it, Ripka even made a photocopy of the driver's license.
Old May 10, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Can you get a framed picture of Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard?
Old May 13, 2011, 9:34 pm

Throwing it out does seem like a waste. I think you could get value for this. I'd think some would surely offer $100 for one of these cards.

Last edited by sucker777; May 13, 2011 at 9:39 pm Reason: clarification
Old May 21, 2011, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by itsAntz
Please post the location for $1500 for the pen. But is it even worth $500? I was initially excited to see the card increased from 5 to 1k until I saw the avg price there
Dallas had the $1.5k pen but not worth $500 (plus tax on the whole amount) to me.

I had no shame about asking for items close to the $1k, said that I was thinking about item as wedding gift.
Old May 21, 2011, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by sucker777
Throwing it out does seem like a waste. I think you could get value for this. I'd think some would surely offer $100 for one of these cards.
The purchase has to be on the member's Centurion. One credit per member.

Per rules, is worthless to anyone other than cardholder. In practice, maybe but their pricing is too nutty for me.
Old May 28, 2011, 4:40 pm

I went by the other day and saw the Traffic pendant ($2,100). It's quite nice and I may end up getting it.

I played it a bit coy (although truthful) and said, "I'm looking for a gift; excuse my ignorance, but do you have anything in the $1,000 to $1,500 range?"

The woman was very nice, she showed me what they had available (earrings, two platinum rings at $1,500 and $2,800).

As I was leaving, she politely and offhandedly asked me if I had the Centurion gift card. Ha! I'm guessing that they've received a number of such enquiries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.