Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:43 pm

Platinum 100k pts - worth?

Is it worth to sign up for AmEx Platinum for $450 in order to get 100k points (received such an offer via snail mail)? I will NOT be using all the benefits Platinum offers - I am only considering it for 100k points. I plan to use points to book flights (US-Europe) and/or hotels or to use those points for anything else (gift cards?) that would justify $450 fee. I am having troubles whether those 100k points are worth the fee, so thanks in advance for your opinion!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:15 pm

100K MR will transfer to several airline programs at one to one.

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...yer%20Programs

I'd take that deal all day long.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by garbus222
Is it worth to sign up for AmEx Platinum for $450 in order to get 100k points (received such an offer via snail mail)? I will NOT be using all the benefits Platinum offers - I am only considering it for 100k points. I plan to use points to book flights (US-Europe) and/or hotels or to use those points for anything else (gift cards?) that would justify $450 fee. I am having troubles whether those 100k points are worth the fee, so thanks in advance for your opinion!
You can also get $200 worth of airline gift cards reimbursed when you use the platinum card to buy them - see the numerous threads on this topic. So basically the annual fee is $250. This is definitely worth it and the 100k offer is one of the most sought after for any miles/points card.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You can actually get $200 in airline credits during the remainder of 2012, then another $200 in credits in early 2013, then cancel the card but the next annual fee comes up. So your $450 will get you 100,000 points plus $400 in airline credits plus lounge access.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by garbus222
@Garbus -- there are a lot of posts on the topic (you can try searching), but the card can easily be worth more than the $450 even without the 100k bonus, but I'll list some of the very nice benefits, some of which can be quantified in dollar value, some of which cannot:

1) Obviously, the 100k MR points. I'd say your best bet is transferring into an airline, especially while a bonus is running (for example, BA recently had a 50% transfer bonus, so you'd have 150,000 BA miles). Even without bonus, 100k MR transfers to 100k Delta skymiles which, if you know what you're doing and you plan ahead, can be redeemed for a roundtrip ticket U.S.-Europe in business class ($3,000+ value). If you have use for the int'l travel, do NOT redeem MR points for gift cards.

2) $200 airline "incidentals" reimbursement per calendar year. You can look up the Amex forum for threads describing all the wonderful ways to get the $200 value extracted easily (e.g., gift cards on certain airlines; or total cash out). AND if you keep the card for only 1 year, you can get the $200 value twice (calendar year being the key restriction). That's $400 in cash or cash equivalent.

3) Free Global Entry reimbursement - $100 value. If you have use for this (travel internationally enough).

4) Priority Pass as well as independent Platinum card access to various airline lounges. I love this benefit. Costs hundreds of dollars if paid out of pocket.

5) FHR (I never use this).

6) Free SPG Gold Preferred status; free Hertz gold status AND 4-hour grace period if you use the Platinum card rate with Hertz (can save you a lot of cash if you have Hertz rentals covering a stub day of less than 4 hours). You also get Avis status for free.

7) High-value purchase protection.

As I tell most people: if you do the homework and put in a little effort, trying out the Platinum for at least one year (one annual fee cycle) is a no-brainer even with a 50k MR sign up bonus. Turning down 100k is criminal.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:17 am

Thank you for all responses - appreciate that and will take the card.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Another benefit of Amex Platinum card is the roadside assistance. so if your car break down, flat tires, run out of gas, locked yourself out, etc. Just call up Amex.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:55 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by echip
... if your car break down, flat tires, run out of gas, locked yourself out, etc. Just call up Amex.
Provided you do not incur more than $50 expense .

https://www295.americanexpress.com/c...sideassistance

U.S. Coverage
Roadside Assistance (up to a $50 value) is a fee-free feature of your Card.
American Express; Roadside Assistance Services are provided as an emergency service and not a general maintenance type service. Only one disablement for the same cause during any consecutive seven-day period will be allowed. Coverage provided for self-propelled, four-wheel vehicles designed, licensed, and used for private on-road transportation, and trucks with a carrying capacity of up to 2 tons. Towing to the nearest authorized facility, or, upon the Card member's request, to another location at a maximum towing distance of 10 miles. Fuel provided in emergency situations will be charged to the Card member's Card Account. Emergency situations do not include: all parts, labor, and supplies provided while at an auto repair shop or service station, towing to another location unless the initial service location is closed, service for taxicabs, tractors, boats, rental vehicles, ambulances, trucks, vehicles used for competition, unlicensed vehicles, illegally parked or impounded vehicles, or any vehicles in tow, rental and towing equipment, towing at the direction of law enforcement officer relating to traffic obstruction, impoundment, abandonment, illegal parking, or other violations of law, or towing by other than a licensed service station or garage, installation or removal of snow tires, repairs to studs, mounting and dismounting snow chains, repeated service calls for a vehicle in need of routine maintenance or repair, shoveling snow from around a vehicle, vehicle storage, or impoundment charges. Limit of 4 services per calendar year.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:56 am

How are people being targeted for the 100K offer? I've been with AmEx since 1986, charge about $10K a month to my HHonors AmEx, but have never received an offer. I have my account set to receive solicitations/marketing materials, but only receive an occasional offer to upgrade to the Surpass card.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:39 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of the Premier Rewards Gold -or- Platinum option offer has been transferred to the established thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...inum-100k.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.