Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2011, 1:45 pm

I signed up in Jun but didnt call to activate until last week...rep made a note in my account indicating I would receive 100k after 1k spend and told me to hurry up on meeting the spend because I only had a week left...called back a few days later for something else and before getting off the line, I asked the rep to confirm my bonus offer...she read exactly what the first rep told me she put in my record (100k/1k spend)...

Met the spend requirement and paid the balance...called today to see if they would expedite my points because I wanted to meet the DL 50% and 40% promos before the deadline...was told they could not override the wait time (6-8 weeks, I believe) which would be too late...about 30 minutes later, I logged back into my account to transfer the points I already had (PRG bonus) to DL only to find that I had 75K additional points!!! YAY...so I was able to transfer 100k for the 50% and 50k for the 40% promos...will wait until the 8 weeks are up before I call to request the remaining 25K points if they don't post before then.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by swat16
I got my card in early Aug. I sent about 5 SM asking for 5748 bump and was repeatedly denied. I tried to reason that I applied for the card because I thought I was getting 100K and now I have to pay a $450 annual fee which seemed unfair. The "Manager" replied that I signed up for a card with the annual fee waived so I kept that message. I then called MR and had a rep apologize because I was able to receive the 100K point offer.

So this past Monday I called and requested the points be expedited and the rep started ripping into me about whether I was targeted, how I found out, etc. I stopped her and said read the notes because the offer was already applied to my account. She placed me on hold for about 10 minutes and came back saying the promo is definitely on my account but she could not expedite the points. On Wed my annual fee posted. I replied to my SM saying I thought my fee was waived and was now confused. The response was one line, "I have processed a statement credit for $450.". Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed the bonus points post without any further calls like they said they will.

how is your 450$ fee waived ?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303
is there a special link I need to use to sign up? or can I just sign up under any offer that I find, and then after approval, ask AMEX to apply the promo code to my account?

Thanks.
i got a rep that locked me in for the 50k using this link:https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...BONungB8ckDu-g, as they say your miles may vary,

Good Luck to all FTers
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: UA, US, DL, AMEX Plat, AMEX Centurion, SPG Gold
Update: got the points!

Last edited by nirlep; Sep 4, 2011 at 10:21 am
Old Sep 4, 2011, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by bst21
i got a rep that locked me in for the 50k using this link:https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...BONungB8ckDu-g, as they say your miles may vary,

Good Luck to all FTers
Are you having to cover the $450 per year fee?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 1:45 am

Hi Everyone

I wish I saw this thread before I applied, Can anyone tell me if code 5748 or 3882 works for the amex business platinum card? or just the personal card?

I just got my 25k points and have spent about 3k on it since I got the card about a month ago, do I just call in and say I got an email about this offer or just say I "heard" about this bonus code offer?

thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:17 am

5748 worked for me for Personal AMEX Platinum card

Personally I wouldn't say I got the email for this unless you really did. There has been reports of folks having to prove it.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:37 pm

I called about 5748 after just receiving my card and was asked to provide the mailer code. Will try again after I post $1000.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: ex-UA Prem 1K, Amex Plat., *A Gold, SPG Gold
I have a friend that wants to apply for and get an Amex Platinum card. I want to get him the 100k offer, anyone know how I can do this?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Update:

Try #3: to a CSR; said that the 50K code was expired (link I applied through, I think 4998). She then tried 5748, which worked, but she transferred me over to MR for some reason, who than said he needed to talk to a supervisor, who then said that they don't have the authority to do this, but try emailing.

Just had them note in my record that I tried to apply but couldnt' get it processed, burned through $1000 over labor day weekend on the Amex...we'll see what shakes out.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:55 am

What number is everyone calling because when I call the AMEX Plat number they just want to transfer me to MR who says tough luck.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alfagirl
Sent a secure email yesterday, got a strange reply. Called the MR number above and 5 minutes later the 100K points are in my account!!!!

yippee.......
I called 1-800-297-1300 on 8/25 and it took no more than 5 min for the agent to look up promo 5748, see it was valid through 1/2012 for 100K MR points after a $1k spend. She checked my account to confirm my spend activity and posted the points. I saw the points in my account almost immediately after ending the call. (BTW-I applied for and received the card in early June 2011)

good luck!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by alfagirl
I called 1-800-297-1300 on 8/25 and it took no more than 5 min for the agent to look up promo 5748, see it was valid through 1/2012 for 100K MR points after a $1k spend. She checked my account to confirm my spend activity and posted the points. I saw the points in my account almost immediately after ending the call. (BTW-I applied for and received the card in early June 2011)

good luck!
how did you start your conversation?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by divjan
how did you start your conversation?
"Hello. I received the Platinum card in Jul. and I am calling to have the 100K MR points posted to my account, as I've met the spend requirement. The promo code is 5748 and it is valid through 1/2012."

The agent verified my claims and posted the miles IMMEDIATELY. YMMV

ciao
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:16 pm

I called 5 times in the past two weeks regarding my account and the 100k that was supposedly "notated" on my account on July 29, 2011. I thought AMEX MR were pretty good at honoring their customers by the plethora of successes mentioned previously.

But no, they won't honor it ... saying I only qualify for the 25k and that they have reviewed the media(offers) that's been sent to me and I DEFINITELY did not receive any solicited offers. The only one I would qualify for was 25k. And by the disguised undertone in her voice of the last person I talked to, I'm thinking any future rep I talk to will be hostile and non-relenting even though I was nice and perhaps assertive for all the previous reps I talked to (certainly not aggressive). In fact, I tried the script from alfagirl.

Weird thing is, one of the reps I talked to said I applied under the 50k thing, but all the others said, no only the 25k applies. Too bad I didn't have her apply it right then and there cuz I would at least have 50k but no... I wanted to try for 100k.

Good luck to all others. I'm PO'ed to say the least. I don't think 25k is worth justifying $450/yr so I'll be writing to them and I hope, end up with a good resolution (canceling the card and getting $450 back, credit score be damned).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.