Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:30 am

Tit for Tat

Just a suggestion to those of you getting bumps. After you're done with the MR rep that was very helpful, ask to be transferred to their supervisor and give them compliments!!! These people are helping you the least we can do is help them and reinforce their willingness to help us in the future. The supervisor told me this really helps the individual reps with their performance reviews and they love to hear positive comments from clients. It takes 60 seconds so if you're pleased with your MR reps let's try to get them something for helping everyone!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:59 pm

has anybody gotten the bump via secure message center...today is my 5th time trying..i was upgrading from gold to plat (1st time plat. holder)...reading here i see that some people have gotten the offer on the upgrade situation from gold to plat but it looks like by calling only
Old Aug 11, 2011, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by epiding
not if you transfer the AMEX points to another airline mileage program. once its converted to airline miles, it should be safe to cancel right? no claw-back from airline program i presume?
Originally Posted by sam007
Or if you order a gift card, that should work as well - I don't see they going to Amazon to revoke the gift card
I hope you guys don't plan on doing this. This type of thing will ruin future offers..
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:22 pm

I am late in this game, is it possible to apply and approve for BOTH PRG and PLAT at the same day? I have amex DL plat, SPG and blue.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by sparkzone
I am late in this game, is it possible to apply and approve for BOTH PRG and PLAT at the same day? I have amex DL plat, SPG and blue.
Mixed results.

I applied for a PRG a month and a half ago, just applied for a Plat and today messaged to be bumped (I was bumped from 50k to 75k on the PRG). I haven't received the plat yet, but was denied for not being targeted on the plat.

I'm going to wait to get the card, make the spend, pay it off, then call a US CSR.

I just hope my account is not now flagged as a denial as some people have said here before.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
Guys

I just got my Amex Platinum card and applied code 5748 successfully to now get 100k points after a $1000 spend. The CSR told me it takes 6-8 weeks after the spend to get the points

However, I want to cancel within 60 days to avoid the $450 annual fee.

is it indeed true it takes 6-8 weeks for the points to post?

Thanks
I think most people who have been getting the 100k bonus at this point have been told that they must wait 8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement to have the 100k manually added. That's how it went for me and I think that's what's happening to others, just going by the last couple of months on the thread.

Once the note is on your account, if you try to call before 8 weeks, you probably won't have much luck.

I believe the $450 is pro-rated, however. So, if you cancel as soon as you get your points, you should get a refund of much of the fee. As others have noted, if you cancel your card you will lose the points in your account. However, I'm pretty sure (and you may wish to confirm), so long as you have at least one MR earning card that is active and linked to the MR account in which you have your points, you will not lose them. So, you could apply right now for a no-fee or low fee MR card from Amex, and then once you have account opened and linked to your MR account, you should be fine if you cancel the platinum.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: avis president , national executive, hertz presidents, delta platinum, spg platinum
Originally Posted by crimson12
The link I see for signing up shows just a 25k sign up bonus, not even the 50k that some were getting. https://www304.americanexpress.com/p.../0/0/n/?from=2 Is there another place to sign up to get the 50 (+50)? Should I call rather than sign up online?
Here's a link that gets you 50K to start off with : https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...BONungB8ckDu-g
if it doesnt work try clearing cookies / open in private browsing

Last edited by traveldealer; Aug 12, 2011 at 8:19 am
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
I had applied for a Platinum card back in December and got the 50k MR points for a 1k spend. I tried several months ago to get the bump with no luck. Tried again today with the request for bonus offer id 3882 and was fortunate to get a MR CSR who looked up the details and retroactively added 100K manually to my account. She indicated that promo was effective from May 2010 to sometime in the spring of 2011 so she agreed I was eligible. No issue of whether or not being targeted. As usual there are inconsistencies in what is the applicable eligibility period as evidenced by another post (here on FT or another blog, can't remember) for which a CSR indicated the eligible time period was 12/27/10 to 3/14/11.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by traveldealer
Here's a link that gets you 50K to start off with : https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...BONungB8ckDu-g
if it doesnt work try clearing cookies / open in private browsing
Thank you for posting the 50k promo link. I noticed someone earlier who mentioned a 100k bonus for signing up for this card - is there something special needed to do or somewhere special you have to input the 5748 code to qualify for the 100k?

thanks in advance
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by traveldealer
this link starts you off with 50k :https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...10621/0/0/0/n/
make sure to open in private browsing or clear cookies
Applied with this link (which I think is the same in post 713) which clearly showed 50k and promo 4986.

Crossed the spending threshold and received 25k, showing immediately as earned (skipped the pending stage).

No big deal since the account is noted for 100k but thought I'd mention.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:13 am

msp- same thing happened to me...I used link for 50k bonus miles, called in for bump to 100k and noted on account...confirmed this twice already. I made 1k spend on august 8 and my 25k was posted on statement details.

Is it 6 to 8 weeks from august 8th or from closing statement date (late august for me) for points to appear? I received two different answers from MR.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:18 am

Boy, this has been a winding path to try to get these miles. I applied with a 50k link back in May. Called to confirm the 50k when activating. After meeting the spend, tried to get the bump to 100k.

Initially I was rejected ("targeted") and, worse, they told me there was no 50k offer associated with my application. I kept screen shots so I felt pretty good I would get the 50k if it came to it, but I didn't want to fight for it, because I still wanted to try for the 100k. After repeated attempts, I got a telephone CSR at Amex to confirm I was eligible for the 100k and to put a note in the account. She wouldn't manually do it, though, because (she said) 25k had already posted and thus I had to wait another 8 week to see if the extra 75k posted. The 25k, however, was from a fidelity bonus, on another card, but still, they said to wait 8 more weeks.

So, finally, my 8 weeks was up last week. I called in early in the week, and after spedning 10 minutes on the phone got "the window won't open, call back tomorrow." Which I did. After another 20 minutes on the phone, the CSR agreed that 100k was in order and that all eligibility was met, but that he'd need to have a "supervisor" post the miles. I should see them in 48 hours, etc., all notated.

So, anyway, no points yet on the account. I'll wait until tomorrow to call back. If I ultimatley get the 100k, it's great, but this really has been quite an odyssey. Bottom line: For those of you with a promise and a note on the account, be prepared to be persistent.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:22 am

I was told it doesn't need to be manually added for the bump to 100k. It will automatically be applied 6 to 8 weeks from spending 1k ( at least 1 MR said this) Promo Id was notated. I confirmed twice when I called in for something else.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
I was told it doesn't need to be manually added for the bump to 100k. It will automatically be applied 6 to 8 weeks from spending 1k ( at least 1 MR said this) Promo Id was notated. I confirmed twice when I called in for something else.
Yeah, they say that. Not my experience. I am not sure many have had it work that way. Many early on got the bump right away. Most who are told to wait 6-8 weeks end up having to call. And if you are like me if you try after 6 they will tell you to call 2 weeks later. Most have reported fairly easy sledding after the 8 weeks getting the points posted. It's been more of a chore for me.

But the bottom line seems to be that pretty much nothing appears automatically except the standard 10 or 25k. Even if, like me, you used a 50k link and confirmed 50k on activation, be prepared later to be told " there is no bonus associated with your account" or to get 25k and get the other 75 manually.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Just adding another data point:

Applied using the link for 50k membership rewards points posted upthread.

Received my platinum card yesterday. Called Membership Rewards today, and said that a friend had told me about code 5748 and if I could get signed up for that offer.

The CSR checked my account and said my promo was for 25k membership reward points for $1000 spend in 3 months.

CSR said he would make a notation in my account and to call back 8 weeks after meeting the spend requirements. Said that the reason was that people had found about this promo online, and that to make everyone happy, they're doing a "better bonus" thing that requires manual entry.

Says that if I make the spend, they'll make up the difference in 8 weeks. But, he says I definitely have to call. It won't be automatic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.