Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by n198ua
I really don't know, like I said it seemed way too easy. She claims to have noted my account, so we'll see in 8 weeks. (I plan on charging the required $spend right away)
Anything you might've said?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zsurf
Anything you might've said?
Just said I upgraded to Plat last week and wanted 5748.

I'm going to follow-up with an email in the next couple of days to make sure this is indeed the offer I'm getting.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:28 pm

Amex has been flat out rejecting my repeated requests for the bump on the Platinum!!! I was approved Sat for the card online. I then sent SMs requesting the match for Bonus ID 5748. The response was no, it's targeted. So I called last night and was told I had to send a SM to "corporate" and request the bump. The response to that message was "Sure, if you provide us a copy of your targeted offer we will honor it." Today the card came in the mail so I activated it and called MR. I was told that if I hadn't sent the SM to corporate, the CSR could have given me the additional points but now there is absolutely nothing anyone can do. They said because I got a better offer for the Gold card I cannot get a better offer for the Platinum card. I wanted to point out that my wife got the bump on both cards in the past 2 months but I'm not about to point that out.

Haven't others gotten bumps for both Gold and Platinum? Amex has never given me so much trouble. And I've generated a lot of business for them lately with the Gold referrals (at 10K bonus points per card I'm not complaining about that either). I sent one more SM. Does anyone have any other ideas? I am going to cancel and not pay the annual fee if I don't get the bonus points. I otherwise had no problem paying the big fee.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by swat16
Haven't others gotten bumps for both Gold and Platinum? Amex has never given me so much trouble. And I've generated a lot of business for them lately with the Gold referrals (at 10K bonus points per card I'm not complaining about that either). I sent one more SM. Does anyone have any other ideas? I am going to cancel and not pay the annual fee if I don't get the bonus points. I otherwise had no problem paying the big fee.
I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say 'bump'. However, when we opened our Gold card 18 months ago, it was an app initiated by my wife, with no pre-approval offer. There were zero bonus points for opening the account. Maybe we are eligible b/c we've never received an offer before ?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:33 pm

Seemed to work okay

I just got my card (applied last week) and activated it immediately.

I called the Amex Platinum line and mentioned the code. The rep said the offer was from May, and he needed to transfer me to the membership rewards line, where I mentioned the offer again.

The rep didn't see it the offer (she saw the 25k pts), but she checked the requirements of the 100k and said I was within the promo dates (not concretely specified).

She added a note to my account and told me to call back if they don't appear 8 weeks after my first statement with $1000 spend. I got her name and location, just in case! Sounds like it worked without a hitch.

Now we'll have to see if I can do the same for my 75k gold card that is coming soon.

Last edited by Bathbob; Aug 3, 2011 at 10:16 pm Reason: Wrote my name for some reason, removed it
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by n198ua
I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say 'bump'. However, when we opened our Gold card 18 months ago, it was an app initiated by my wife, with no pre-approval offer. There were zero bonus points for opening the account. Maybe we are eligible b/c we've never received an offer before ?
There is another thread in the Milez Buzz section. Basically you apply for any link with the Gold card, then ask Amex to honor the 75K signup bonus they offer others. It's about 100% successful but the Platinum deal isn't so easy if you've already gotten one big signup bonus.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL, UA, BA, AA
Follow up on my post from July 2

I called MR today to ask whether my pending 25K MR points could be expedited. The CSR was one of MR's finest: "They're now on your account." I then said that I had a code noted for a bump-up to the 100K MR point bonus. He asked me if it was code 5748 and I said I wasn't sure if it was that or 3882. He said it's ok, 100K points have been now posted.

But that's not all: he then summarized that a total of 125K MR points had been posted on my account. He posted the 100K ON TOP OF the 25K!!!

So I just transferred these to Delta for the 50% bonus and got a total of 187.5K delta miles and 25K MQM's... And, of course, there is still no transfer fee since the government meltdown...

I love the amex plat card and MR CSR's.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:24 pm

Does this mean that this Platinum after PRG is now a no go? Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: avis president , national executive, hertz presidents, delta platinum, spg platinum
Originally Posted by bayloop
Hi,

I just got back from vacation and tried to apply for the 50k plat using the various links in this thread. I cleared cookies, tried google chrome and firefox, but all come up with regular plat applics WITHOUT ANY BONUS.

If anyone has a working link, can you please post, as I would love to get it on this deal.

Thanks
Originally Posted by traveldealer
try opening it in private browsing or clear cookies : https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...10621/0/0/0/n/
working just fine, just right click and open in incognito wondow (in chrome)

Last edited by traveldealer; Aug 4, 2011 at 12:47 am
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by swat16
Amex has been flat out rejecting my repeated requests for the bump on the Platinum!!! I was approved Sat for the card online. I then sent SMs requesting the match for Bonus ID 5748. The response was no, it's targeted. So I called last night and was told I had to send a SM to "corporate" and request the bump. The response to that message was "Sure, if you provide us a copy of your targeted offer we will honor it." Today the card came in the mail so I activated it and called MR. I was told that if I hadn't sent the SM to corporate, the CSR could have given me the additional points but now there is absolutely nothing anyone can do. They said because I got a better offer for the Gold card I cannot get a better offer for the Platinum card. I wanted to point out that my wife got the bump on both cards in the past 2 months but I'm not about to point that out.

I was shot down for probably the final time. I pushed hard because they told me over the phone if I just applied for the card then emailed they would add 5748 to my account. I complained that the offer I thought I signed up for is not the same offer I received and now they want me to pay $450 for the annual fee on a different type of card. They responded that it is a targeted offer so they would not honor it and that I signed up for the card with the first year free. For now that's good enough. I think I am getting 25K points too. I've started cleaning up with referrals on the Gold card at 10K each for all my friends. I just wish I knew about this a few weeks ago and I would have had more.

EDIT: I went back to the original offer I applied for and it says the annual fee is $450 so maybe they waived the fee as a gesture of goodwill. I'm sure that will be a battle when they automatically charge it. At least I have in writing they said it is waived.

Last edited by Milezjunkie; Aug 4, 2011 at 8:41 am
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT / SPG Gold / National EE / Amex Plat / Visa Infinite / A|Club PLT
Cool a little recap

Hi all,
long time lurker, first time poster here. thought i'd chime in since i have been following these promotions for a while and managed to pull through (to be confirmed) today.

First, my own situation:
- PRG member since 5/2010, and corporate (green) user since '07 but this is less relevant

Codes I have seen (on FT) for a personnal plat card:
- 5748 (100k MR, new card, targeted, no rsvp available)
- 3882 (100k MR, new card, targeted, no rsvp available)
- 4986 (50k MR, new card, targeted, link available a few post above)
Code i have received:
- XXXX + rsvp code (25k MR, upgrade from PRG)

Below is the process i went through, trying to get:
- upgrade to a plat from gold (instead of applying for a new card and closing the gold)
- get the 100k MR
note: I understand i could have applied first (using a 25K offer for upgrade on the phone or the 50k offer for a new card with a link) and THEN ask to be bumped, but the goal was to get 100k upfront)

1) call the "upgrade" desk (1-888-814-9099). 2 calls, 2 CSR, no luck: basically, all they could see in the system was my targeted offer for 25k MR with an upgrade; tried to talk them into giving me more using the usual reasoning (good customer etc.) - "promotion codes mentioned are for new cardmember only, not existing" -> never went anywhere

2) call the new card desk (1-877-801-4221). 2 calls, 2 CSR, no luck either: here, they could see the promotion codes but they ABSOLUTELY required rsvp numbers. Again, all they could see for me was the upgrade offer for 25k MR (one even offered me to apply for a new card WITHOUT any points!) or recommended to go on creditcards.com to get 25k MR with a new application.

3) what unlocked everything was to call the MR desk (1-800-297-1300) ^ -> talk to Abner (i think his unusual name has been mentioned before). the CSR recognized i was an existing PRG cardmember, and he ask me for a code. I mentioned the 5748 and he offered me the following:
- upgrade today to a PLAT
- put a note in my account that i was eligible for the 100k MR once i completed the $1k purchase within 3mths
- call back after 6-8 weeks for a CSR to manually instate the points

So i went for that. He confirmed my upgrade to AMEX PLAT on the spot and instructed to call back within 6-8 weeks if i had completed the $1k purchase to have 100k MR put on my account (!)

I hope this works out for me - and that this is a good way to "pay back" the amazing FT community for the valuable guidance/ tips/etc. i spotted over the last couple yrs..

thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:27 pm

Update

My wife and I applied for these cards a couple of weeks ago -- I think just after the promo had officially "ended" and got new Platinum cards, and got them overnighted. And we called for the 100k points, which were duly noted in our accounts.

The thing is, we've now each gotten emails congratulating us on our *25k* bonus. ...? We've called and they've once again "noted" that we should get the 100k, but I'm feeling a little skeptical. Like others, we've been told to wait "6 to 8 weeks" from when the 1000 spend was hit (for us, pretty quickly -- we ordered the cards ~ July 20 and hit the spend ~ July 27 or so. I had a reimbursable work expense of $750 in there, which helped). What confuses me, btw, is that I have to wait 6 weeks for the 100k, even though the system immediately noticed that we hit the spend and knew we should get the 25k.

Anyway, even though we've been told multiple times that we'd get the 100 -- and a very nice CSR yesterday tried to deposit the 100 manually -- we're still getting told to wait. For me this is a case of "believe it when I see it".

Last edited by crimson12; Aug 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm Reason: added a bit more detail
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
My wife and I applied for these cards a couple of weeks ago -- I think just after the promo had officially "ended" and got new Platinum cards, and got them overnighted. And we called for the 100k points, which were duly noted in our accounts.

The thing is, we've now each gotten emails congratulating us on our *25k* bonus. ...? We've called and they've once again "noted" that we should get the 100k, but I'm feeling a little skeptical. Like others, we've been told to wait "6 to 8 weeks" from when the 1000 spend was hit (for us, pretty quickly -- we ordered the cards ~ July 20 and hit the spend ~ July 27 or so. I had a reimbursable work expense of $750 in there, which helped). What confuses me, btw, is that I have to wait 6 weeks for the 100k, even though the system immediately noticed that we hit the spend and knew we should get the 25k.

Anyway, even though we've been told multiple times that we'd get the 100 -- and a very nice CSR yesterday tried to deposit the 100 manually -- we're still getting told to wait. For me this is a case of "believe it when I see it".
For my wife they told her to contact them once the initial bonus points posted and they would post the additional points within 6-8 weeks. In reality I contacted them immediately and the points posted in about a week.

Glad others are able to get the bonuses. I'm not quite giving up just yet.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: American
Got my 100k, thank you FT!

Saw a post with a code on here and signed up - thanks again - sharp people on here
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:39 pm

And now it gets interesting. Remember when I said yesterday that MR giving me the 100k was painless. Well I sent an email just to be sure it was on my account, and here's the response i got:

Dear n198ua,

While we appreciate your interest in the offer you mentioned, please understand that this is an offer only for solicited non-Cardmembers. Our records do not show your Card solicited for this offer.

I understand that this may be disappointing to you, but because many of our offers are targeted to specific types of Cardmembers, you can expect to see various promotions throughout the year for which you may be eligible.

Sincerely,

Jitendra Punjabi
Manager, Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.