Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
Will I get 100,000 miles if I sign up today?
You could. This is highly ymmv, takes work and persistence...
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I applied in late January or early February and got the 50K bonus and would like to try to apply 3882 to get up to 100K. Has anyone done this using secure messaging recently, or is it calling? If via secure messaging, I'd love to see a copy of a message that worked. If done by calling, which number is working best?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:30 am

just wanted to update with my experience. applied on 7/7/11 and activated the card yesterday. called today using code 5748 and after a lot 'research' time, the CSR noted that code on my account and said I'd get the 100k points after the $1k spend in 3 months. Tried to expedite the points as I've already done the $1k but she said not possible. Should I call back later and try again?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by rag2120
just wanted to update with my experience. applied on 7/7/11 and activated the card yesterday. called today using code 5748 and after a lot 'research' time, the CSR noted that code on my account and said I'd get the 100k points after the $1k spend in 3 months. Tried to expedite the points as I've already done the $1k but she said not possible. Should I call back later and try again?
Maybe you could just count yourself lucky.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by User Name
Maybe you could just count yourself lucky.
that's what i was thinking actually. hopefully it all works out in the end.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I am thinking of applying for this card. I am kicking myself for not realizing this card was out there. 100K point card!

I have a Premier Rewards Gold card and got hit with the fee. Do you think they will let me take out the Platinum Card, get the 100K bonus.. and credit my Premier Rewards Gold fee to the platinum card? $500 Fee is steep, although its for 100K points...

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by rajuabju
I feel like i just won the lottery. I've had my amex pr gold for 18 months now. They just agreed to give me 50k points since my initial signup bonus was 25k back then.
That is amazing. I had gotten 50K points when I signed up for AMEX PR Gold in March 2010 and had called months ago asking for the bump to 75K and got nothing.

I just called membership rewards again and asked for a bump. Reponse was negative. "No way for us to give you a bonus for a promotion running this year for a card taken out last year".

Last edited by shanshan; Jul 14, 2011 at 10:27 am
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by shanshan
$500 Fee is steep...
The fee is $450, of which you will easily recover $200 as explained here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-strategy.html

...and if you travel internationally you may also recover here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...efund-usa.html

If you cancel any American Express card you will receive a pro-rated refund of the unearned annual fee.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
If you cancel any American Express card you will receive a pro-rated refund of the unearned annual fee.

Kicking myself again. Also, thank you very much for the help (and not getting irritated at my lack of research, where you would be fair to do so). :-: :-: Will report back... instantly approved for application now.. will call to get shipment expedited & try to apply the 3 codes before activation...

Last edited by shanshan; Jul 14, 2011 at 11:08 am
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:32 pm

Applied today for Plat card and was approved. Immediately called MR with 5748 and they noted my account would receive 100k points after required spending
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Moody Blues
Applied today for Plat card and was approved. Immediately called MR with 5748 and they noted my account would receive 100k points after required spending
What did you say? I just tried calling AMEX membership rewards and they wouldn't even let me offer a code (although my card is not yet in the system as well). My conversation went something like:

Me: Hi! I recently took out a Platinum card with a bonus offer, but my friends are getting a larger bonus offer. I would like to get this bonus matched, and I have the code to apply to my own account.
Rep: Sorry you do not qualify for any other bonus. Any bonuses for your friends were targeted and you cannot solicit that same award by word of mouth. Sorry.
Me: Can I at least check to see if I qualify for any such targeted rewards?
Rep: System does not yet show your platinum account.
Me: Thanks
Rep: Have a good day.

Last edited by shanshan; Jul 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:55 pm

After 2 months of waiting, they finally posted the 100k to my account. All is well!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Sharing some data points

Here is a timeline summary of my 100k Platinum Card experience, hope it is insightful for others!

5/23: Applied and approved, waited standard 7~10 days for card to arrive
6/7: Prior to activation, called MR desk to "apply/note" 100k bonus offer (success on 3rd call).
6/1: Points record shows 25k MR points from online app link were "Earned"
6/20: First statement closing date, had already met $1k spending quota.
7/3: Made payment in full.
7/8: 1st secure message to MR desk asking for remaining 75k MR points. (No success)
7/9: 2nd secure message to MR desk asking for remaining 75k MR points. (No success)
7/11: 3rd secure message to MR desk asking for remaining 75 MR points.
7/13: 75k MR points released and available. ^
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Moody Blues
What number did you call? I keep getting told that I need to call them back when I get the card.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by akshitkhanna
I applied yesterday and got approved. I called them within a few minutes of getting the approval and requested for the card to be expedited. I was told that the card should arrive tonight via UPS overnight. Also another card will be sent out via snail mail in 6-8 days that needs to be destroyed.
Hey which number did you call to do this? I just got shot down a few times calling MR. Finally got them to transfer me to some other department and was told this was impossible. Tried to convince the guy asking if someone else can do it and he basically told me to call during the day shift.

ETA:
Just called 9 times. First 2 times to ask to apply the code. Didn't even get to tell them my name or code number, after telling them that I just applied moments ago was told to wait until I get the card in the mail. (this was calling MR). Next set of calls was to ask for the card shipment to be expedited as I was eager to start using the new card. In each case I was transferred to CSR only to be told that they can not do it blah blah blah. One of the CSRs told me I need to call new accounts which closes at midnight eastern and gave me a number to call. This turned out to be a bad number. Called back in to MR asked for a number to new accounts after explaining the situation. Was put on hold while she checked. She came back saying she spoke with new accounts and that they don't handle these requests and that I need to talk to someone in the special handling department. That department closes at 7pm EDT. This didn't sound accurate to me as she kept saying they can rush the application or something like that. Anyway going to try again tomorrow. Can't believe I missed this deal and only learned about it now so rushing to get it done by the 31st. Wish me luck.

Last edited by greendx; Jul 14, 2011 at 10:03 pm Reason: still no luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.