FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1211769-amex-personal-platinum-100k-mr-point-sign-up-bonus.html)

ffI Feb 25, 2011 8:32 pm

My 2000th post. While my first post was not asking for help, this one is.
Could you post or PM the offer number / url for the 100k when you click on the email? Thanks.

Also can anyone tell me if there are any bonuses for upgrading from a premier rewards card to a Platinum charge card?

Ancien Maestro Feb 25, 2011 11:32 pm

I would jump at this deal if you're planning an AMEX Platinum Card. Do you receive a 2 for 1 companion ticket?

Aaron01 Feb 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 15934483)
My 2000th post. While my first post was not asking for help, this one is.
Could you post or PM the offer number / url for the 100k when you click on the email? Thanks.

Also can anyone tell me if there are any bonuses for upgrading from a premier rewards card to a Platinum charge card?

I believe the 100k offer is targeted to the OP.

To my knowledge, AMEX doesn't give bonuses for upgrading, just for new accounts. If you wanted the Plat with one of the bonus offers you likely would have to apply for a new card.

nydad Feb 26, 2011 1:08 am

You shouldn't pass this one. This offer is the best one can get from Amex.

Heryanta Feb 26, 2011 1:49 pm

as noted in an earlier reply th 100k bonus is worth $1k in gift card

after the first year if you are hesitant on paying the $450 annual fee because you're not making full use of the benefits you can always downgrade to gold premier rewards and not lose the MR points you've accumulated, right? ;)

fedechat Feb 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Heryanta (Post 15937716)
as noted in an earlier reply th 100k bonus is worth $1k in gift card

after the first year if you are hesitant on paying the $450 annual fee because you're not making full use of the benefits you can always downgrade to gold premier rewards and not lose the MR points you've accumulated, right? ;)

You can get Amex Blue Credit Card (which is free) and keep the accumulated points ;)

LamboRich Feb 27, 2011 9:34 am

FYI

Originally Posted by nydad (Post 15935207)
You shouldn't pass this one. This offer is the best one can get from Amex.

+1
and remember the travel insurance is excellent on Amex, so when you go to London you have free/inclusive travel insurance too.

onetess Feb 27, 2011 11:07 am

You have all convinced me that this is worth at least trying. Thanks for the help!

Haha...I wonder if I can do the gold card offer too, get the 50k points, and then cancel that one. They would probably paste a huge red flag on me for that....

mysterym Feb 27, 2011 1:14 pm

100,000 amex rewards points is potentially worth nearly $1,500 in $$$
Transfer 100k points to delta with 50% bonus
Cash out in amex gift cards at 11,000 points per $100
Use squareup.com to swipe the gift cards (at 2.75% but whatever)
You'll net approx $1,300 in your bank account

andysiz May 3, 2011 9:09 am

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

I've been lurking for a couple months now, but thought I should share something I just came across. I apologize if this is posted elsewhere.

Reading FT, a couple months ago I applied for and got the Platinum Card with the 50K MR sign-up bonus and recently had them transferred to Delta for the MQM + 50% bonus. Thanks to FT for that tip!

I recently discovered that there was another promo (back at the time I was applying for the Platinum Card) giving away a 100k MR points sign-up bonus (but not highly publicized?), so (based on another site's tip) last night I wrote to MR indicating that I was a little disappointed that I only got 50k MR points, and I felt a little short-changed. Reference for that 100k MR point sign-up bonus was Offer ID: 3882 (which I mentioned in my secure message to MR).

This morning I got the additional 50K MR points deposited in my account instantly! I guess YMMV, but it's worth a shot for another 50K MR points

QSYH May 3, 2011 9:38 am

How interesting. Thanks for the tip however I am surprised they just popped 50k MR points into your account just like that. Good luck to those who try

patriots68 May 3, 2011 10:50 am

wasn't the 100k bonus targeted?

myb821 May 3, 2011 11:44 am

i know the other website u are talking about as i was one of the starters of that thread. everythign he said is correct if anyone wants more information they can pm me

andysiz May 3, 2011 3:01 pm

@patriots68: I'm not sure, but I assume the 100k deal was targeted. I indicated as much in my message to Amex MR: that others had been targeted with a 100k sign-up offer while I only had the 50k offer. I made it clear that I knew I was not entitled to the extra 50k bonus points.

@myb821: Thanks for starting and continuing to spread the info! I am grateful.

o2bnzhongguo May 3, 2011 3:18 pm

I just received my AMEX Platinum this weekend and I was thinking of trying this exact thing once I hit the spend mark. I've been watching the thread on the 75k MR bonus for the Gold PR card and it seems most untargeted people were successful in requesting the extra miles after applying for the 10k or 25k bonus.

Thanks for the info on your success. I'll post back once I give it a shot.