Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
'
'
Called back and the new rep said "I see you called just a few minutes ago and we told you that the points would post 6-8 weeks after your $1,000 spend."

So no dice on my third call and now my account has "notes" in it for my calls.

Old May 12, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Got turned down again on the phone, said I had e-mailed before and gotten turned down, so nothing they could do. Once I use up my $200 airline credit I am cancelling my Platinum card. Congrats to all who got the bonus, though.
Old May 13, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
I can't believe so many people are cancelling their plat cards over this.
Old May 13, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I assume Amex is betting that most of the new cardholders they get are not going to cancel their cards after getting their bonuses. It'll be interesting to see if their strategy is sound. I think the Platinum Card has a lot of benefits that people either overlook or won't use but that I find valuable. I use the lounge access, the $200 credit has saved me baggage fees on AA since I don't have status, I just applied for the Global Entry pass and received a $100 credit for the application fee, and I've found value in getting Gold status with SPG.

Of course, I've had an Amex Plat for nearly twenty years. I suspect a lot of the folks who took advantage of this bonus would cancel their cards within twenty days if they could.
Old May 13, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
A quick look at this article (written by a colleague of mine at ERW) outlining the benefits (which many but not all people here are aware of) may be useful when contemplating this whole "cancellation" question:

New American Express Benefits Save Business Travelers Time and Money

Last edited by jspira; May 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm
Old May 13, 2011, 8:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
A quick look at this article outlining the benefits ...
That article only mentions a handful of recent changes. The best place for a comprehensive listing is still American Express' own dedicated Platinum Card website:

americanexpress.com/platinum

Click: [See All Benefits] tab, then navigate through the menus on the left.
Old May 13, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by jspira
A quick look at this article outlining the benefits (which many but not all people here are aware of) may be useful when contemplating this whole "cancellation" question:

New American Express Benefits Save Business Travelers Time and Money
I also wrote a blog post reviewing all of the Platinum card benefits that highlights most major benefits of the card if anyone is interested. I feel like its a little more readable than the Amex website, which is very segmented.
Old May 13, 2011, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
I can't believe so many people are cancelling their plat cards over this.
Business is business. I don't trust them to honor their word.

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Of course, I've had an Amex Plat for nearly twenty years. I suspect a lot of the folks who took advantage of this bonus would cancel their cards within twenty days if they could.
I'm suspicious of people who change religions too frequently. A credit card company is not a religion.

Last edited by mia; May 13, 2011 at 9:40 am Reason: Combine two consecutive replies
Old May 13, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by tasnam
I just called a second time.

Lady said let me check:

Came back and said "yes you are registered to receive 100k after spending $1k"
(Which actually I was not even signed up under that promo, so I wonder if she was being accurate?)

Anyone else get the "yes you are set for 100,000 AFTER $1k"?

I do not remember anyone posting this criteria.
This is the same exact answer I got. Would not post the extra 50k like others were reporting. They said I need to wait.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
I called the number on the back of the Plat and got the additional 50K after 2 minute's hold without even providing the bonus ID. My wife did the same thing (we both opened the cards in January) but was told that she was not qualified. So very YMMV. Will try the email with her account.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:15 am

Good AND bad service!

I had called in on the 7th and been told that I was approved for the match to the 100,000 MR offer. Told that there was a note in my record to confirm the approval.

Called in today for a different reason and was told that not only was there no note, but that I didn't qualify!

Thanks for posting the BONUS ID 5748! I trotted that code out and got approved for the extra 50,000 MR points immediately. Here's hoping they actually post this time!
Old May 13, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Is there still a link to apply for the 50K MR Plat? I am debating whether to go for this or the 50k Gold with two year annual fee waive.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: USAirways Gold, Delta Gold, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, *wood Platinum
Originally Posted by opus2002
Is there still a link to apply for the 50K MR Plat? I am debating whether to go for this or the 50k Gold with two year annual fee waive.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/personal-card-application/platinum-charge-card/20-319-0/0/0/0/n/#065d18133082e210VgnVCM200000d0faad94RCRD

Just be sure to clear your cookies and all that before hitting the link.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by o2bnzhongguo
Are you sure this brings up the 50K offer? I applied under a screen like that last week (with a 50K ad in the screen prior, but no note on the actual application page), but when I activated my card last night, they said I was signed up under a 25K offer.
Old May 13, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
Is there an AMEX offer that waives the first year annual fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.