Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Old May 9, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have had a business platinum for some time, but just got the personal platinum. Call MR to make sure the accounts were linked for points purposes, and asked about the 100k bonus, mentioning 3882. got okayed for the 100k after a $1000/3 month spend.
Old May 9, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Just called the MR line. Wait about five minutes due to heavy call volumes, but after the rep came on it took less than two minutes for the points to post to my account.
Old May 9, 2011, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by beta1607
Immediately for me. Check the membership rewards page not the american express.com page
Still haven't shown up...should I call back?
Old May 9, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I sent a secure message about a week ago and was denied on the grounds that offer 3882 was only available to new American Express customers, not existing ones (I have owned a Gold card for a long time and just applied for a Platinum card in January). This didn't really seem right to me (I always thought applying for a new card and not upgrading was the only criteria) but I just accepted it and moved on. However, seeing that several people have successfully had the bonus applied retroactively even though they were already members motivated me to send another message.

I don't want to bother calling because I know it is a pain for them and because I personally don't have much time to sit on the phone. However, I must say that their initial response really turned me off. Basically they were saying that new customers are more valuable to them than existing customers (which may be true, but not a great idea to point it out to your existing customers). Also, they said there were promotions for existing customers, though apart from the token gift for being a card holder I can't really remember anything that was really limited to existing members, certainly nothing worth nearly 50k MR points. All this despite the fact that existing and new cardholders pay the same annual fee while the benefits for existing members is degraded since some benefits overlap.

As I was already debating the merits of the Platinum card I just may cancel my card early if they deny me the promotion again. SPG gold is worth less and less, other car membership rewards are worth less (and apparently the membership doesn't expire for a while anyway), and MR point values are slowly being degraded as well (no Continental/United, devalued Aeroplan). The PriorityClub membership was a nice compromise, but at this point cancelling my membership and getting back $200+ on the annual fee is looking better and better, particularly if AmEx is going to straight up tell me that they would rather have someone else as a cardholder.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: United/CO, AAdvantage, Hilton Diamond , Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott & PC Plat
calling is better

I got denied via secure message. Called in and they said no problem, points appeared within 90 minutes. Took all of 10 minutes on the phone.

Thanks again Flyertalk !!
Old May 9, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Success. All it took was 15 minutes, a phone call to the Plat line, immediately asking to be transferred to MR. Applied on 1 Feb and qualified for offer 3882 using the Best Bonus program. Points were visible immediately.
Old May 10, 2011, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by tal32drew
Still haven't shown up...should I call back?
Still haven't shown up online, but when I called the MR line the automated message says I have 0 MR point balance, but 100k pending points.
Old May 10, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
5th or 6th try and.... SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

code 5748 worked since i was about a week late for 3882. was definitely worth the hassle for those extra 50k!
Old May 10, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by tal32drew
How long does it take these points to post?

I have a platinum and the rep on the phone said she would deposit the additional 50,000 MR points...that was about 9 hours ago.

Thanks!
On Saturday morning, after several tries, the extra 50k was promised to me by mid week. Showed up this morning.

I suspect there are several ways this is happening... from changing promo codes where possible to manual awarding of miles, and it probably varies a bit by rep and customer.

Anyway, true to their word, they did it.

No complaints from me about Amex.
Old May 10, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
I called, explained to them I love AMEX (and I do, own almost every card of theirs) and that I would like the difference.

Put on hold for 15 minutes, said she can't apply it until 6-8 weeks has passed since I spent $1,000, even though I already got the original 50k points. She noted my account and said to call back at the end of June and I will get the other 50k.

Strange how results are so different.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: spg gold
That's what I was told!
Old May 10, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Preferred, SPG Gold
This forum is great, thank you OP. Called MR after applying in early February. Used code 3882 and mentioned that I wasn't aware of original offer. After 5 minutes on hold, agent made a "one-time exception, since I wasn't targeted for this offer" and I now have an additional 50MR points in my account, points posted instantly.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: delta skymiles
Originally Posted by Azurik
I called, explained to them I love AMEX (and I do, own almost every card of theirs) and that I would like the difference.

Put on hold for 15 minutes, said she can't apply it until 6-8 weeks has passed since I spent $1,000, even though I already got the original 50k points. She noted my account and said to call back at the end of June and I will get the other 50k.

Strange how results are so different.
Indeed. I was offered 25k with code 5478 over the phone.

I emailed for code 3882, and got an email back from someone else with a 25k offer.

As of this time, only 25000 extra points have been added to my account, and I don't know which, the email or the phone call, got them credited. They were instant though, as I checked as soon as I got the email, which was before I finished the phone call. Will I get both 25K promises? time will tell.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kyletrems
I got denied via secure message. Called in and they said no problem, points appeared within 90 minutes. Took all of 10 minutes on the phone.

Thanks again Flyertalk !!
Could you or someone else confirm that this works for existing American Express cardholders (just those who don't have Platinum)?
Old May 10, 2011, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by mgchan
Could you or someone else confirm that this works for existing American Express cardholders (just those who don't have Platinum)?
Yes... I've had my other Amex cc since 2007 and this worked fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.