Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
They politely declined my email too.

I didn't call any further - will just let the inquiry run its course.

Anyway, I'm going to be happy with my 50K signup as long as it eventually posts. I've been waiting 2 months after hitting the spend and still no points.
Old May 8, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ryandc99
After I tried the call back method, the first thing the rep said was... i see you just called about this a few minutes ago... any ideas when they say that?
I had the same experience when I called about it on Friday. First rep was very friendly and helpful but ultimately said she couldn't do anything (Got my Amex Plat 2/25, was informed the bonus expired 2/17. Amex cardmember for 12 years). Thanked her, hung up and called again, but before I even got through asking the rep said "I see another rep has already advised that you missed the cutoff." I was up front and told her that I thought I would try again and she said she certainly understood and that she sees I'm a longstanding cardmember but there was simply nothing they could do at this point, all the while apologetic. She suggested I write a letter to their PO Box in Fort Lauderdale if I wanted to push the issue. Again, thanked her for her time and hung up.

My last attempt after that was to send a secure message. Was declined within hours with a signature that specifically said "Manager, Fort Lauderdale FL," which seems to imply that the 2nd rep noted her suggestion in my file and also (reading between the lines here) tells me to give up.

My feeling is that once you've been declined for the bonus and your file indicates it, you're out of luck. Oh well, it was worth a shot!
Old May 8, 2011, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by jonnyfly
Thanks a lot for this thread! Just called MR and very kindly mentioned I'd been following a thread--actually read a few excerpts from posts. The Rep put me on hold and came back a few minutes later letting me know the 100K posted immediately.

Score!
not cool mentioning the thread. thats what can ruin it for others.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:23 pm

Didn't work for me either. I called 1x on Thursday night, 3x on Friday on separate occasion and email today.

Well, I have to settle for 50k. Just need to remind myself to be happy with 50k, free gold status for spg and lounge access and $200 travel expenses...
Old May 8, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
This is why I believe things like this should be spread thru PM and not posted on FT. You will notice that 99% of posts in threads like this are all posters with extremely low post counts, newbies [...moderator edit...] and usually are the ones to get deals/loopholes killed. Happens time and time again.

(Full disclosure: I did not get my Plat any time recently nor did I try to do this.)

Last edited by mia; May 9, 2011 at 7:22 am Reason: Remove collective characterization
Old May 9, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: USAirways Gold, Delta Gold, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, *wood Platinum
Thumbs up Good news (and maybe more confusion?)

I called in just a few minutes ago and just explained the truth to the rep. I applied in late April for the 50k bonus after waiting several weeks in vain for the 100k offer to come in the mail. I asked if I could get upgraded from 50k to 100k. I told her that I frequented a forum where a lot of people had reported trying the same thing and everyone seemed to get random responses, some successful and some not. She then asked if I had a Bonus ID and I gave her 3882. She looked it up and said that it did indeed expire on Feb 14.

She then said the reason for the varying responses was most likely because reps didn't know about a new program they have called Best Bonus Available Program (or something like that) which allowed them to give the best bonus available at the time to a cardholder. I didn't qualify for 3882 because it was expired when I applied, but there was a Bonus (#5748) that started on Feb 15 and ran through May 5 that I did qualify for. She then noted my account and said that once the initial 50k hit my account I could call back and they would instantly add the additional 50k

Hopefully all of that info helps you guys. If you get shot down with 3882 then maybe try 5748? Good luck!

Now I just need to try and get the Gold PR card with a 75k bonus and I'll be set with AMEX for a while. ^
Old May 9, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat, US Air Silver, JPM Palladium
I just got off the phone with MR CSR. I explained that I got my card in mid-March and heard there might be a 100K bonus promotion out there during my sign up time.

He asked if it was bonus ID 3882 and he chuckled saying they've been getting tons of calls about it. He was super super nice and spent 20 minutes looking through his system for a different code. He said 3882 expired mid-Feb, but there are a lot of codes for the same promotion and found 5748 worked for me.

He couldn't post it right away because I paid my bill after the cut-off, but he would note it on my account so that after 6-8 weeks I could call back and get it.

Amex hands down has the best CS out of all the card companies. Thats why theyre the only ones Ive stayed with since I turned 18
Old May 9, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dodger 1k
I was approved for the additional 50k this morning on the first try. I asked very nicely and was super polite as always. The Platinum CSR transferred me to a MR CSR, who in turn spoke to her supervisor. Took only a few minutes. She said it was a one time exception due to my long relationship with Amex.
This is exactly what happened to me this morning. She said that they've been getting a ton of calls on this promotion (and told me it ran in April, which is different from the February that I've been seeing upthread). She asked to make sure it was a new platinum application, not an upgrade, which is was. She said that I met the eligibility criteria but hadn't been targeted, but in recognition of my long history with Amex (since 1997, so not sure how long that is comparatively) she was giving me the extra 50k points. The call took 7 minutes.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Just off the phone with a very friendly MR rep. I asked her if she could do me a favor by looking up bonus 3882 and 5748 to see if I would qualify for the additional 50K bonus. I told her that at the time of my application in mid-March, bonus offers of 100K were available. She told me to hold the line & she would see what could be done. A few minutes later 50K was in my account! Thanks AMEX and thanks to o2bnzhongguo for bonus code 5748
Old May 9, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, FB Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Liar
they announced? where? do you have a link or something?
Send them an secure email and you will find out. That's what they said. Not sure if they will actually do it or not, but im just hoping in the next 10 - 12 weeks nothing happens to the points.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: USAirways Gold, Delta Gold, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, *wood Platinum
Originally Posted by Moflav
Thanks AMEX and thanks to o2bnzhongguo for bonus code 5748
Glad I could help! Hopefully it'll work for others too.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by o2bnzhongguo
didn't qualify for 3882 because it was expired when I applied, but there was a Bonus (#5748) that started on Feb 15 and ran through May 5 that I did qualify for.
Thank you for this bonus id! After trying unsuccessfully with 3882, I called just now and the rep confirmed my eligibility for 5784 and has credited my account. ^
Old May 9, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by o2bnzhongguo
She then said the reason for the varying responses was most likely because reps didn't know about a new program they have called Best Bonus Available Program (or something like that) which allowed them to give the best bonus available at the time to a cardholder.
Amex gets a big ^ from me for this. People will no longer feel "discriminated" against for not getting a better bonus that was available to others.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:37 pm

After seeing several people state that the Amex agent found that they were in fact eligible for the 100K offer to begin with, I have to wonder if the moral here is that we should call first to determine the best offer available to us as an individual before clicking on a link. Not that I don't want to support blogs like FTG or TPG through referral links; on the contrary, I think it is in the spirit of those blogs to maximize each opportunity.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Just called in using 5748 and the nice rep confirmed I was eligible for that and posted another 50k! Thanks to the OP!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.