Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Old May 7, 2011, 2:21 pm

I was offered the PLAT upgrade in Dec 2010 with 25k bonus points which also required the $1k spend in 3 MO. Even before I could consider this my wife applied (without offers) and was approved. I called AMEX and promptly notified them of the blunder and AMEX made a note to my account of the promotion and we received the 25k points in April.

When I saw this thread this moring I was debating if it's worthwhile to call AMEX and see if they would give me the difference. I pulled the trigger an hour back and called the CS line and was trfd to MR. Agent Comes back and says I was not eligible/or my account was annotaed for only 25k. I insisted that she please recheck as we have been AMEX card holders since 89 and the card was a regular app and was not an upgrade. Was put on hold for another 20 minutes. This time was told that the PLAT CARD CS has confirmed that it was an upgrade and not a regular app. I was and asked to be trfd to CS so that I could cancel all of our accounts. Was put on hold again waited for another 10 minutes and MR agent comes back on line and says "I am realy sorry. I checked with another CSR PLAT Account Services and you were correct. You cards were not upgrades. I will go ahead and credit your account the remaining 75k points. I checcked to see if the points were there after I hung up and I was not seeing the points. I call the MR line and when I checked the balance the 75k points was indeed credited. ^^

Last edited by NM46385; May 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm
Old May 7, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NM46385
... asked to be trfd to CS so that I could cancel all of my accounts. ...
Would have been funny if they went ahead and cancelled all your accounts on you.

Last edited by mia; May 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm Reason: Prune quotation
Old May 7, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Typical FT "deal" pattern, some always take it too far, become entitled/demanding, etc. This is a policy based on good will, some people seem to have forgotten that in the mad/greedy rush for endless points/miles. Good luck to those who ask politely and know when to give up
Old May 7, 2011, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bubb1
Typical FT "deal" pattern, some always take it too far, become entitled/demanding, etc. This is a policy based on good will, some people seem to have forgotten that in the mad/greedy rush for endless points/miles. Good luck to those who ask politely and know when to give up
I am too late on this one, but it reminds me of the HHonors 10k Text promotion from a few months ago!
Old May 7, 2011, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101
Would have been funny if they went ahead and cancelled all your accounts on you.
======
I was very polite when I asked. What irked me was when I was told that the card was an upgrade when it was not. We wouldn't have really cared if they cancelled our cards.
Old May 7, 2011, 4:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator request

Please do not include the name of any American Express employee in a post. I am in process of removing the names mentioned in previous posts.

The relevant Flyertalk rule is published here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q69
Old May 7, 2011, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
======
I was very polite when I asked. What irked me was when I was told that the card was an upgrade when it was not. We wouldn't have really cared if they cancelled our cards.
Learn the game. Read the posts. Call again and again. Be sicky sweet nice. Call 20x times if you need to. How much is 1 hr of your time worth. I can not earn 50k worth points in 1 hr - can you? (11k to Delta =$100 gift card so 50k worth about $500! CASH!)
Old May 7, 2011, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
Learn the game. Read the posts. Call again and again. Be sicky sweet nice. Call 20x times if you need to. How much is 1 hr of your time worth. I can not earn 50k worth points in 1 hr - can you? (11k to Delta =$100 gift card so 50k worth about $500! CASH!)
I was deltagoldflyer. Once the MR rep was able to confirm that the card was not an upgrade the points were credited
Old May 7, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG plat ambassador
I was approved for the additional 50k this morning on the first try. I asked very nicely and was super polite as always. The Platinum CSR transferred me to a MR CSR, who in turn spoke to her supervisor. Took only a few minutes. She said it was a one time exception due to my long relationship with Amex.
Old May 7, 2011, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I was deltagoldflyer. Once the MR rep was able to confirm that the card was not an upgrade the points were credited
Oh much sorry. Well done! ^
Old May 7, 2011, 6:51 pm

I applied for the Plat card in late April and just received and activated it a couple of days ago. I haven't met the $1000 spend yet since I just got it. Called this morning and asked to be matched to the 100k offer (didn't mention the offer ID). Got shot down twice because I hadn't been targeted for the offer.

The third MR agent that I spoke with said that she annotated my account to say that I should get the extra 50,000 MR after I met the $1000 spend requirement and that the initial 50,000 MR points will show up automatically but the additional 50,000 MR will be credited after 6-8 weeks. I hope it's true! ^
Old May 7, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Just called the platinum CS line. Told they would have to open an inquiry and it would take 7-10 days via snail mail.

Disappointed because my original 50K bonus still has posted either and I signed up on Feb 1.

May keep trying, but I feel like I need a smoother strategy. Any more detailed tips that you all have used?
Old May 7, 2011, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
Just called the platinum CS line. Told they would have to open an inquiry and it would take 7-10 days via snail mail.

Disappointed because my original 50K bonus still has posted either and I signed up on Feb 1.

May keep trying, but I feel like I need a smoother strategy. Any more detailed tips that you all have used?
After I tried the call back method, the first thing the rep said was... i see you just called about this a few minutes ago... any ideas when they say that?
Old May 8, 2011, 12:30 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
does it work for those of us who haven't applied for the original 50k AMEX Platinum card? can we still directly apply for the 100k promo de novo?
Old May 8, 2011, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
Learn the game. Read the posts. Call again and again. Be sicky sweet nice. Call 20x times if you need to.
You guys have done a smashing job of educating every single CSR out there. Every MR representative knows the game now, and refuse right away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.