Wiki Posts
Search

What do to with AMEX Reward Points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes
I'm Premier, not Plat or Cert. You have to be logged in and go to the tab "Use Points" and choose "Hotels" under Travel. At 25% off, you think this is a good deal (esp. SPG)?
The hotel transfer discounts I see are 20%. Still not a great deal, IMHO.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
...underestimates the true value of Membership Rewards points....
Agreed, but I wince when I see posters claiming that they redeemed miles for a $12,000 ticket , and I try to assign a very conservative value. One area where award tickets offer hidden value is flexibility. I base my valuation on the cost of deeply discounted (I or Z) business class transatlantic tickets. These tickets usually require a round trip advance purchase, are non-refundable, and it costs $4-500 to change the dates. Award tickets (on AA, BA and VS) allow one-way redemptions, there is no advance purchase requirement, date changes can be made for $50 or less. Cancellation policies vary, but typically 100% of miles are re-deposited (less on VS) and there is a fee of $100 or less.

I recently bought a paid transatlantic ticket for the first time in about five years, and the experience was stressful compared to an award redemption. In fact, I procrastinated for so long about buying a second one that the fare expired .
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:01 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by mia
One area where award tickets offer hidden value is flexibility .............. I recently bought a paid transatlantic ticket for the first time in about five years, and the experience was stressful compared to an award redemption. In fact, I procrastinated for so long about buying a second one that the fare expired .
I laughed when I first read this and then realized that I am putting off my purchase of a trip to FRA in Sep as I am unused to international paid travel after 6 years of awards.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

The next best use is the Pay with Points program. This allows you to purchase travel on americanexpress.com/travel, and claim a credit to offset the charge by redeeming points. If you have a Green or Gold account the value is typically $0.01 per point. If you have a Platinum or Centurion account the value is increased to $0.0125 because there is a 20% point rebate.

I recently looked into the pay with points program. I have about 75700 points and was looking to use them to pay for a deposit on a cruise for November. I was thinking my value might be around $750 based on a $.01 per point. When trying to do this I found quite the opposite. I was being given a credit of a little over $500 for my 75700 points. A much lesser value than what I thought I was earning.

It also concerned me that I would have to pay for the whole cruise up front, versus just the required deposit. If I did not use pay with points, and just made the reservation then I needed to just pay a deposit.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:43 am

A few years ago I transferred my MR points to the Hilton one, if that is going. The net result was about 2% return and a couple of nights free in Helsinki.

In general avoid any Amex offers such as membership fees etc as the return is really poor.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:56 pm

MR program questions

I only recently got AMEX Business Gold MR card and have not been able to find answers to the following questions:

1. Do I lose the MR points when I cancel the AMEX card?

2. If I apply for a second AMEX MR card, are the MR points separately associated with each card account or are they combined into one MR point balance?

3. Where can I find out about the current or future airline transfer bonus promotions?

Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ftusa
1. Do I lose the MR points when I cancel the AMEX card?
I suggest you review Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions which are published here, with particular attention to the paragraph headed POINT FORFEITURE FOR ACCOUNT CANCELLATION:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...NTCANCELLATION

If you apply for additional eligible cards they will automatically be linked to the same Membership Rewards account.

If a transfer promotion is sponsored by American Express it will be listed on membershiprewards.com:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...readcrumb=true

If sponsored by the airline they will be posted on the airline's site, or communicated to you through email or postal service.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC*E35
MR points are almost always best used as FF points trasnfers. Or at least that's what I have experienced. In Canada you can go to AP, and I believe in the US most of the major airlines are participants
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:28 am
Original Poster

I have over 320k points now....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.