Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
USA-issued American Express Platinum and Centurion cards accounts are eligible to have the $100 application fee for the Global Entry program reimbursed. Each eligible card can receive one $100 credit every five years. Additional cards are eligible for the credit if the additional user's application fee is charged to the additional card. Read more about the benefit here:

http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...enefits/Travel (scroll down)

Please use this thread only to discuss the American Express reimbursement benefit. Primary Flyertalk discussion forum is Travel Safety & Security

Here is a link to an active thread:

Is Global Entry worthwhile?
Print Wikipost

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by sdix
They do put a CBP sticker on your passport or Green Card which DOES allow you to cut to the front of the line. Of course while permissible you do generally tick off the others in line!
For me, ticking off the type of people who would get ticked off by such a small thing, is the primary reason to sign up for GE.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:41 pm

The process is pretty simple. Most is done on line and via the phone. You are required one visit which is painless.

If you travel solo it's probably worth it for 5 trips. You can not take a traveling companion in the line with you so you would end up waiting anyway.

However..... They do put a CBP sticker on your passport or Green Card which DOES allow you to cut to the front of the line. Of course while permissible you do generally tick off the others in line!
How does that work? If you decide to not use the machine, you are allowed to waive down the immigration officer and say, "hey i got a sticker can i cut", and go through the normal process with a live immigration officer?

If only it let you cut in line while going through security checks...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:21 pm

Good news: I emailed Amex and received confirmation that Consumer Platinum members are eligible as of 4/5/2011.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by longleaf
How does that work? If you decide to not use the machine, you are allowed to waive down the immigration officer and say, "hey i got a sticker can i cut", and go through the normal process with a live immigration officer?

I just like the idea of ditching my buddies or coworkers while they slave in the immigration line. I'll meet you boys at the airport bar on the other side. CIAO.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:14 pm

It's supposed to be if the machine does not work. So then you are already at the front so you cut over to the nearest officer. I have seen families go down the machine line then cut over.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:07 pm

Does anyone know the Approx amount of time required for the interview?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
About 20 minutes. Part of that is showing you how to use the kiosk. It's a pretty harmless interview.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Has this shown up on the Plat site yet?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by aviators99
Has this shown up on the Plat site yet?
Yup, even saw a link on Facebook.

I already had GE, but I am excited because this means more people will get it, thus making it more likely that the will continue the program. Sure, it could mean a potential wait at a machine (which I've never had so far), but I try to get to immigration quickly anyway.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:02 am

American Express Platinum Card® Packs on the Perks for International Travelers

American Express formally announced the changes for Platinum personal and business in a press release here:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-International
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by stimpy
I got denied for this, but they don't tell you why. I'm not a criminal so I can only guess that its because I travel too much and spend time in dodgy countries.
Great, wish I'd read this first. My list of 81 countries aren't all exactly folks the U.S. is friendly with...time will tell.

Originally Posted by brosnan6
I wonder how well I'll fare with having visas/stamps for Egypt, Turkey, and Pakistan in my passport, AND the fact that I'm brown ;-)

Will post an update after I have my interview
Wanna trade for Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, DPRK, and Afghanistan? I'm not getting my hopes up

Last edited by mia; Apr 5, 2011 at 11:39 am Reason: Combine two consecutive posts
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Wanna trade for Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, DPRK, and Afghanistan? I'm not getting my hopes up
There is probably some connection as to why you where there rather than a blanket rejection...

Regards
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Darn! I just signed up for Global Entry last month!
I signed up last fall. It would have been nice to save that money !
I'm trying to decide if this benefit is worth it for someone who only travels internationally about 5 times per year.

You have to take a half day off work, and spend several hours of an afternoon driving to a location and interviewing, all to save maybe 20 minutes several times a year.

It's a cool perk, but i don't know that it is worth it unless you travel internationally a lot.
I go 6x per year, and I find it is definitely worth it.
The process is pretty simple. Most is done on line and via the phone. You are required one visit which is painless.

If you travel solo it's probably worth it for 5 trips. You can not take a traveling companion in the line with you so you would end up waiting anyway.

However..... They do put a CBP sticker on your passport or Green Card which DOES allow you to cut to the front of the line. Of course while permissible you do generally tick off the others in line!
If directed to go to an immigration agent, you get to use the crew line next to the kioks (at least in SFO), so you really don't have to cut in front of anyone. (This generally happens when you declare food or items/cash above the exempted limit.)
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:50 pm

It took me about an hour in SFO last year.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
I wonder how well I'll fare with having visas/stamps for Egypt, Turkey, and Pakistan in my passport, AND the fact that I'm brown ;-)

Will post an update after I have my interview
I am "brown", carry an Indian passport, and have stamps for India, Indonesia, and Dubai (UAE). I was approved with no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.