Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
USA-issued American Express Platinum and Centurion cards accounts are eligible to have the $100 application fee for the Global Entry program reimbursed. Each eligible card can receive one $100 credit every five years. Additional cards are eligible for the credit if the additional user's application fee is charged to the additional card. Read more about the benefit here:

http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...enefits/Travel (scroll down)

Please use this thread only to discuss the American Express reimbursement benefit. Primary Flyertalk discussion forum is Travel Safety & Security

Here is a link to an active thread:

Is Global Entry worthwhile?
Print Wikipost

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ktscott01
Anyone know if you can pay for someone else (my wife)? I paid for global entry before I had the card.
Definitely. I've given away several to friends. The charge has no personal information.
ktscott01 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I renewed within the last month and had my credit post the following day, FWIW.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I renewed within the last month and had my credit post the following day, FWIW.
Indeed it seems to post way faster than the airline credit.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:03 pm

Global entry reimbursement

Any recent DPs of people getting multiple global entry fees reimbursed on their Amex plat cards? I'm mostly interested in the biz plat, but info on different plat cards would be good to know also.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by 808traveler
Any recent DPs of people getting multiple global entry fees reimbursed on their Amex plat cards? I'm mostly interested in the biz plat, but info on different plat cards would be good to know also.
I applied for Global Entry in 2014, but I paid for it with a non-Amex credit card. In 2016, a family member was going to be traveling with me, so I paid for her Global Entry with my Amex Platinum (personal) and was reimbursed the full $100 fee by American Express. A couple months ago, I went through the process of renewing my Global Entry. I took a chance and paid for it with my Amex Platinum. To my surprise, within days of the charge, American Express reimbursed the $100 fee.
808traveler likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Finagler
I applied for Global Entry in 2014, but I paid for it with a non-Amex credit card. In 2016, a family member was going to be traveling with me, so I paid for her Global Entry with my Amex Platinum (personal) and was reimbursed the full $100 fee by American Express. A couple months ago, I went through the process of renewing my Global Entry. I took a chance and paid for it with my Amex Platinum. To my surprise, within days of the charge, American Express reimbursed the $100 fee.
Thanks for the info! I saw a couple of posts from last year stating something similar. They didn't elaborate on timing between apps, tho.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
The Wiki currently says "... can receive one $100 credit every five years". I thought it was (now) every four years. I don't consider myself authoritative enough to change the Wiki. Can someone set me (and the Wiki) straight regarding "how often"?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The benefit is available to (i) Corporate Gold Card Members, (ii) Consumer Platinum Card® Members, Corporate Platinum Card® Members and Business Platinum Card® Members, and (iii) Centurion® Card Members. The benefit is also available to Additional Card Members on eligible Consumer and Business Platinum and Centurion Card accounts. To receive the statement credit, Additional Card Members must charge the application fee to the eligible Additional Card account. Card Members are eligible to receive statement credit every 4.5 years for the application fee for TSA Pre✓® and every 4 years for Global Entry when charged to an eligible Card. Card Members will receive a statement credit for the first program (either Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® ) to which they apply and pay for with their eligible Card regardless of whether they are approved for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®. However, Card Members can receive only an $85 credit or a $100 credit (but not both) depending upon the program the Card Member first applies for, for an application fee charged to an eligible Card. American Express has no control over the application and/or approval process for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®, and does not have access to any information provided to the government by the Card Member or by the government to the Card Member. American Express has no liability regarding the Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Programs. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) (for Global Entry) and U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) (for TSA Pre✓®) charge an application fee to process each respective application regardless of whether the Card Member's application is approved. American Express will provide a statement credit for the application fee regardless of the decision made by CBP (for Global Entry) or TSA (for TSA Pre✓®) but will not provide a statement credit for subsequent application fees charged to the same eligible Card within 4 years (for Global Entry) or 4.5 years (for TSA Pre✓®), even if the original application is rejected.

Membership for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® is per person, and a separate application must be completed for each individual.

For additional information on the Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® programs, including information regarding the application and/or approval process and for a list of participating airlines and airports, as well as the full terms and conditions of the programs, please go to http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...s/global-entry for Global Entry and www.tsa.gov for TSA Pre✓®. The Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® programs are subject to change, and American Express has no control over those changes.

The statement credit benefit applies to the Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® programs only. Other program applications including, but not limited to, NEXUS, SENTRI, and Privium are not eligible for the statement credit benefit.

Please allow up to 8 weeks after the qualifying Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® transaction is charged to the eligible Card account for the statement credit to be posted to the Card account. American Express relies on accurate transaction data to identify eligible Global Entry and TSA Pre✓® purchases. If you do not see a credit for a qualifying purchase on your eligible Card after 8 weeks, simply call the number on the back of your Card. Card Members are responsible for payment of all application charges until the statement credit posts to the Card account. To be eligible for this benefit, Card account(s) must be active through the time of statement credit fulfilment.

Global Entry Fee Credit Option:
Global Entry is a CBP program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travelers upon arrival in the United States. Global Entry membership also includes access to the TSA Pre✓® program with no additional application or fee required. If a Card Member applies separately for TSA Pre✓® with the same eligible Card, the TSA Pre✓® application fee is not eligible for a statement credit.

To receive the $100 Global Entry statement credit, Card Members must pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with an eligible Card. Additional Cards on eligible Consumer and Business accounts are also eligible for the $100 statement credit. To receive the statement credit, the Global Entry application fee must be charged on the eligible Additional Card. Global Entry members can opt-in to TSA Pre✓® by entering their Global Entry membership number (PASS ID) in the "Known Traveler Number" field each time a flight reservation is made on a participating airline. Alternatively, Card Members can add their Global Entry PASS ID to their frequent flyer profile(s) with the participating airline(s) and then ensure that their frequent flyer number is entered for each flight booking. If approved, membership into the Global Entry program is valid for 5 years and subject to the program's terms and conditions. You must re-apply for the Global Entry program every five years for continuous benefits.

TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit Option:
TSA Pre✓® is an intelligence-driven risk based program managed by TSA that allows low-risk travelers to experience faster, more efficient screening at participating U.S. airport checkpoints for domestic and international travel. The TSA Pre✓® application program is a DHS Trusted Traveler program. TSA began accepting TSA Pre✓® applications on Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013. Enrolling in TSA Pre✓® does not guarantee selection for expedited screening each time a passenger travels.

To receive the $85 TSA Pre✓® statement credit, Card Members must pay for the $85 TSA Pre✓® application fee with an eligible Card. Additional Cards on eligible Consumer and Business Card accounts are also eligible for the $85 statement credit. To receive the statement credit, the TSA Pre✓® application fee must be charged on the eligible Additional Card. If approved, Membership into the TSA Pre✓® program is valid for 5 years and subject to the program's terms and conditions.
https://global.americanexpress.com/c...l/global-entry
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Makes sense that the statement credit would be a little more frequent than five years since we are usually going to seek renewal well before our expiration date of PreCheck or GE.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Anyone have any insight as to exactly how the “every four years” provision is applied? That is, is the “eligible date” for the next reimbursement based on days (e.g., 1461 = 4*365 + 1 for leap day), calendar year, membership year, or what???
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by jmd001
Anyone have any insight as to exactly how the “every four years” provision is applied? That is, is the “eligible date” for the next reimbursement based on days (e.g., 1461 = 4*365 + 1 for leap day), calendar year, membership year, or what???
Originally Posted by dhuey
Makes sense that the statement credit would be a little more frequent than five years since we are usually going to seek renewal well before our expiration date of PreCheck or GE.
I think dhuey has your answer: if you use the credit as intended: to sign up for GE or PreCheck, then renew it when it comes time, it will just work out on its own without having to figure it out down to the day,
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Curious, does anyone know how long it takes for item to post to account. I am cancelling my Amex Dec 28. If i apply today, would the charge come through in time. Concerned that the US Goverment may not charge it a few days or weeks later. Want to know if they charge card instantly. Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Curious, does anyone know how long it takes for item to post to account. I am cancelling my Amex Dec 28. If i apply today, would the charge come through in time. Concerned that the US Goverment may not charge it a few days or weeks later. Want to know if they charge card instantly. Thanks
For the record, that's some pretty shady behavior.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
For the record, that's some pretty shady behavior.
If the member has held the card for a while, and decided that after several years it's just not worth it, I don't think that's so shady; if it was opened relatively recently, then yes.

My recollection is that the government puts through the charge almost immediately, so that even if there's a slight delay from pending to final the reimbursement should easily come through by the 28th.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
If the member has held the card for a while, and decided that after several years it's just not worth it, I don't think that's so shady; if it was opened relatively recently, then yes.
Thats true, if you have had that card for a few years you've earned it.
Points Scrounger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.