Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
USA-issued American Express Platinum and Centurion cards accounts are eligible to have the $100 application fee for the Global Entry program reimbursed. Each eligible card can receive one $100 credit every five years. Additional cards are eligible for the credit if the additional user's application fee is charged to the additional card. Read more about the benefit here:

http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...enefits/Travel (scroll down)

Please use this thread only to discuss the American Express reimbursement benefit. Primary Flyertalk discussion forum is Travel Safety & Security

Here is a link to an active thread:

Is Global Entry worthwhile?
Print Wikipost

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Global Entry credit for spouse

Hi, I have an unused global entry credit on my Platinum Card because I already have global entry. If I have my spouse apply for global entry and charge the fee to my card then would I still be reimbursed for the fee? Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:29 am

The charge seems generic so I think you'd be ok. I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully someone who has done it can confirm.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
....Hopefully someone who has done it can confirm.
DONE: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27619201-post559.html
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:05 am

Thanks! I also understand that additional Gold Card AUs also get their own GE credit? Or am I wrong here, and only Platinum card AUs get GE credit? I have a daughter who I'm looking to apply for GE.

Last edited by ksingh0311; Aug 28, 2018 at 11:09 am Reason: Additional info
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:21 pm
mia

There are anecdotal reports that additional Gold cards on a personal Platinum account have had Global Entry fees reimbursed, but the written terms show that only additional Platinum cards should qualify:

Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓™

The benefit is available to (i) Corporate Gold Card Members, (ii) Consumer Platinum Card® Members, Corporate Platinum Card® Members and Business Platinum Card® Members, and (iii) Centurion® Card Members. The benefit is also available to Additional Platinum and Centurion Card Members on eligible Consumer and Business Card accounts. To receive the statement credit, Additional Platinum and Centurion Card Members must charge the application fee to the eligible Additional Card account.
What is the downside to trying?
ksingh0311 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
What is the downside to trying?
Well I do have to apply for GE for my daughter (in addition to my wife). If I get another gold card, and charge GE fee on that card, and then find out that gold card authorized users are not eligible for global entry refund, I'd have wasted the $100. In that case, I'd be much better off if I had spent extra $75 on the additional platinum card and have the global entry fee credited to the plat card.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by mia
There are anecdotal reports that additional Gold cards on a personal Platinum account have had Global Entry fees reimbursed, but the written terms show that only additional Platinum cards should qualify:
It's more than just anecdotal. The written terms go on to say:
To receive the $100 Global Entry statement credit, Card Members must pay for the $100 Global Entry application fee with an eligible Card. Additional Cards on eligible Consumer and Business accounts are also eligible for the $100 statement credit.
There is similar language for the TSA/PreCheck credit.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by ksingh0311
Well I do have to apply for GE for my daughter (in addition to my wife). If I get another gold card, and charge GE fee on that card, and then find out that gold card authorized users are not eligible for global entry refund, I'd have wasted the $100. In that case, I'd be much better off if I had spent extra $75 on the additional platinum card and have the global entry fee credited to the plat card.
Additional Platinum cards are $175 for up to 3 supplemental cards.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:57 am
mia

Originally Posted by pallhedge
....The written terms go on to say:
In one paragraph American Express defines the eligible cards. In another they specify that one of those eligible cards must be used to make the purchase. I do not see any language that explicitly states that free Gold cards are eligible for this benefit. I think it's a low risk, because American Express practice frequently deviates from written policy, but if the expense is not reimbursed I do not see anything to point to when requesting an manual adjustment.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:49 pm

I can confirm that free Gold cards on a personal Platinum account will get $100 global entry fee reimbursement.
Just got the credit recently.
mia likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by SR99
I can confirm that free Gold cards on a personal Platinum account will get $100 global entry fee reimbursement.
Just got the credit recently.
I wish I knew that before. I recently got the 3 x additional platinums ($175) primarily so the whole family could get Global Entry. However, them also being able to get Priority Pass was also a selling point for me.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:32 am

American Express Platinum Global Entry credit question?

Does this benefit need to be activated or do you need to click on a certain American Express link, or can you just apply automatically from the global entry site directly and be automatically reimbursed in a few days?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just pay with the right card and you’ll see a credit back on the card from Amex a few days later.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:46 am

If it doesn't show up after a few weeks, just give them a call. The system missed my GE credit, but the agent resolved it immediately.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Plat, AMEX Plat
Anyone know if you can pay for someone else (my wife)? I paid for global entry before I had the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.