Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
USA-issued American Express Platinum and Centurion cards accounts are eligible to have the $100 application fee for the Global Entry program reimbursed. Each eligible card can receive one $100 credit every five years. Additional cards are eligible for the credit if the additional user's application fee is charged to the additional card. Read more about the benefit here:

http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...enefits/Travel (scroll down)

Please use this thread only to discuss the American Express reimbursement benefit. Primary Flyertalk discussion forum is Travel Safety & Security

Here is a link to an active thread:

Is Global Entry worthwhile?
Print Wikipost

USA Centurion & Platinum Benefit: Global Entry/TSA fee refund [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Nuts, he's Danish, not Dutch.

Hopefully they'll add other VWP countries soon. I'm trying to skim through the long thread that mia referenced to see if I have GE, whether there is a way for him to jump the line beside me.

Susan
Doh, sorry! I thought about that for a moment before hitting submit, but hey, I did answer part of your question; it is available to non-US citizens, just not the one you need!

I'm am almost 100% positive that there is no "line jumping" benefit for tagging along. Obviously, this is a Customs/Immigration program and they run a moderately tight ship on the executing the program.

Regards
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm am almost 100% positive that there is no "line jumping" benefit for tagging along. Obviously, this is a Customs/Immigration program and they run a moderately tight ship on the executing the program
I'm enrolled in GE, and asked the agent during my interview that specific question. The answer is, the only time a non-GE-enrolled person may accompany you as a "line jumper" is if they are your child that lives in your household and is under 14 years of age. That's it. No adult children. No minor children age 14 or above. No spouses. No parents.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
I'm enrolled in GE, and asked the agent during my interview that specific question. The answer is, the only time a non-GE-enrolled person may accompany you as a "line jumper" is if they are your child that lives in your household and is under 14 years of age. That's it. No adult children. No minor children age 14 or above. No spouses. No parents.
Thanks for confirming; that makes sense to me. Any other route would pretty much violate the premise of the program.

Regards
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Anyone know if addl cards can register?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:30 pm

It's a nice free hundred bucks. Each benefit like that that you use helps make the annual fee worthwhile.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: amex gold, hhonors gold, spg gold :)
Originally Posted by buffcoat
It's a nice free hundred bucks. Each benefit like that that you use helps make the annual fee worthwhile.
although it's a nice perk, the $100 fee is for 5 years, so technically it's a $20/year benefit.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hchon
although it's a nice perk, the $100 fee is for 5 years, so technically it's a $20/year benefit.
No, the $100 fee is an application fee. By the logic above, if you get denied it is $100 per [infinitesimally small number] ;-)
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by mia
Anyone enrolled in both Global Entry and the UK IRIS program who could give a brief comparison? IRIS is free and I enjoy using it, except when the system is down .
GE is for trusted travelers that pass a background check. It uses fingerprints and passport or green card, requires user to answer a few questions and entitles users to front of line through immigration (if machines aren't working) and customs.

IRIS is for anyone that travels frequently (and is lucky enough to find the IRIS enrollment office open). It uses iris scan to identify user, no questions at all, and only expedites user through immigration so user has no special treatment at customs. When IRIS is out of service, no privileges at all.

I should add that GE is being actively marketed by the United States and appears to have a bright future. IRIS, which really is a great system as well, is an orphan and the UK appears to be uninterested in it as they move to machine readable units for EU passports only. This will be a sad day for those of us that have IRIS but no EU passport.

Last edited by canred; Apr 2, 2011 at 1:47 am Reason: Add future view
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I got denied for this, but they don't tell you why. I'm not a criminal so I can only guess that its because I travel too much and spend time in dodgy countries.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by stimpy
I got denied for this, but they don't tell you why. I'm not a criminal so I can only guess that its because I travel too much and spend time in dodgy countries.
wow, thats insane... did they refund your application fee?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jammanxc
wow, thats insane... did they refund your application fee?
"Insane" seems a bit melodramatic. The terms and conditions of the program pretty clearly state that the fee is non-refundable, even if the application is denied. The fact that they make that statement should lead to the obvious conclusion that admission is not a given.

http://www.globalentry.gov/applicationfees.html

Regards
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:59 am

Dodgy countries?

I too was worried about GE approval, as I have traveled to what some MAY consider "dodgy countries" (Kosovo, Moldova, Georgia, Bahrain, Oman, Colombia...).
The agent did ask why I travel to these type of countries, and as a solo female at that.
However, I was approved right after the interview; I was shown the kiosk and how to use it.
GE does help with immigration lines but whenever I have checked luggage (which I rarely do), I still have to wait at the luggage carousel, priority tags notwithstanding.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: CO Gold, DL Gold, US Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Effective Date

Just called Amex to check on this benefit and advised it's not available until April 5th. Don't sign up before then or you won't get the $100 credit.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dbeauh
Just called Amex to check on this benefit and advised it's not available until April 5th. Don't sign up before then or you won't get the $100 credit.
Well, I signed up yesterday, and I will be getting the credit. I clicked on the link from the Centurion page, so they have no right to tell me they won't credit me.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Just checked the T&Cs, and apparently this is for Platinum too. Mia, you might want to change the thread title to reflect this.

Also, additional cards are eligible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.