Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold and Platinum cards?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Gold and Platinum cards?

If you currently have the Gold Delta card are you eligible for the Platinum card? Will you get the poits?? Thanks for your help..
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by shanna135
If you currently have the Gold Delta card are you eligible for the Platinum card? Will you get the poits?? Thanks for your help..
I had a green card for a short time as a formality before getting the Platinum card as I recall. Eligibility would be based on credit score and AMEX payment history i would think.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
I'm not sure whether you're talking about the Delta platinum card, or the non-cobranded Amex platinum, but either way, I think you should be fine. I don't see why the gold Delta card would preclude you from having either of those cards. The only catch I'm aware of is that it seems from other threads I've looked at, that you can only have a total of four Amex cards at a time, so unless you are at that limit, I vote that you give it a go.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:41 am

I had PRG and Gold, got an offer to upgrade Gold to Platinum for 50k MR points and took it.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:40 pm

You can have 7 at one time, 3 charge and 4 revolvers.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
If you're talking about DL Gold and DL Platinum, be aware that you might/probably won't get any signup bonuses for adding the DL Platinum.

DL Gold and unbranded Platinum, you'll be fine for any signup bonus.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
If you're talking about DL Gold and DL Platinum, be aware that you might/probably won't get any signup bonuses for adding the DL Platinum.
Holding a Skymiles Gold card has no effect on eligibility for a new account bonus on a Skymiles Platinum card.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mia
Holding a Skymiles Gold card has no effect on eligibility for a new account bonus on a Skymiles Platinum card.
Did something change? I thought the standard language was something like if you had any Consumer DL Amex within X days you were ineligible for a bonus on any other Consumer DL Amex.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
Did something change?.
Yes, new terms were introduced in May:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etime-usa.html

It is still essential to read the terms of the specific offer because American Express does vary the offers slightly, and the terms for Business cards are very different than for personal cards.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, new terms were introduced in May:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etime-usa.html

It is still essential to read the terms of the specific offer because American Express does vary the offers slightly, and the terms for Business cards are very different than for personal cards.
Derp. Goes to show how much I'm into the churning game. Thanks for the link!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't see why someone would want both the DL Gold and DL Plat cards simultaneously. All of the Gold benefits are also given for the DL Plat card. Maybe if you wanted to separate personal and business expenses, but then I would use the DL Plat card and find a different card for the other account. The benefits such as a free checked bag when flying DL depend on having a DL AmEx card linked to your account; you are not required to use the card to purchase the plane tickets (although doing so gives you a few more miles since you get double miles for DL purchases and single miles for other spend on a DL card).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jft3
I had PRG and Gold, got an offer to upgrade Gold to Platinum for 50k MR points and took it.
How quickly did they bill you for the annual fee? Did they just bill you for the difference?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
How quickly did they bill you for the annual fee? Did they just bill you for the difference?
I took the offer on 10/9, got a notice that they would bill my annual fee on 11/28. Not sure what the delay is all about, but from what I gathered, they would credit my prorated annual fee back for my Gold and then charge the full amount for the Platinum and change my renewal date to that date for the following years.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jft3
I took the offer on 10/9, got a notice that they would bill my annual fee on 11/28. Not sure what the delay is all about, but from what I gathered, they would credit my prorated annual fee back for my Gold and then charge the full amount for the Platinum and change my renewal date to that date for the following years.
This matches my experience, both in the credit/charge combo and the timing. IIRC both the prorated credit and the new (full) AF posted on the same day at the end of a billing cycle.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.