Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Fly NY to Bangkok often--best way to use Amex points? British Airways?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I fly NY to BKK a few times a year and recently received a shiny new Amex Platinum. What would be the best use of points to fly this route? I have looked around and it seems like British Airways will be best because there is 1:1 transfer from Amex and it only takes 50,000 miles, but BA has very high taxes and fees on redemption. Other ideas?

Also anyone been able to do a points advance right after joining? There is a 40% bonus to BA now but it ends 3/31, and I won't have the 50k points in time even though I've already spent the required $1k and even made a +$1k payment. I have called twice and been shot down both times.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

There is a discussion of Points Advance for new cardholders in this thread, beginning at about post 182 :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post16042795

BA redemptions are generally not good value in economy class because economy fares are mostly fuel expense and you won't see much savings versus a purchased ticket.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

There is a discussion of Points Advance for new cardholders in this thread, beginning at about post 182 :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post16042795

BA redemptions are generally not good value in economy class because economy fares are mostly fuel expense and you won't see much savings versus a purchased ticket.
Thanks for the welcome. Great website! Now to clarify, I agree BA has very high taxes/fees but the miles for this route are so much lower going this route than other FF programs I've checked. Since BA doesn't fly the route you go through "Spend BA Miles on partner" and North American to Far East is 50k http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_us I called to confirm that NY to BKK is under this route. You would end up on Cathay--which would cost 90k Asia miles to do directy, albeit with lower fees.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
You're on the right track. BA miles on CX to Asia is a phenomenal value. Only tricky thing you have to navigate around is staying on only one partner. Being based in JFK makes that easy since there are so many CX flights.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BangkokFF
... 50k ... on Cathay--which would cost 90k Asia miles to do directy, albeit with lower fees.
That's one comparison, but you also need to look at what it would cost to fly to Bangkok, on the least expensive airline that you would actually use, to calculate the value of the redemption.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:55 am

You might try contacting Amex through their online message center. I was able to get my bonus points posted that way early by providing an explanation of why I needed them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.