Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Centurion now Delta Platinum Medallion status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by thepointsguy
TATL AF Premium Voyaegur fares have been a steal recently. I've gotten $1,300 from east cost (ATL/JFK) during offpeak and $2,000 in summer. With confirmed upgrades with the Delta SWUs, its a great way to get to Europe or Asia in business class and earn 50% bonus on MQMs and miles. For those interested, I wrote a blog post about my experience using SWUs on AF.
Thanks for this post, pointsguy. I'm looking at options with AF for later in the year (Oct-Nov) to MCO. But it appears as if they will be flying the 77W in the Caribbean configuration with no Premium Voyageur class, but the Alize class. I can't seem to query Alize class on either the AF website or DL website when trying to find fare options for that route.

Do you know how one would book Alize and whether SWUs can be used to upgrade to Business on this flight? Even if upgrading is not an option, how would one book into the Alize cabin?

Susan
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Do you know how one would book Alize and whether SWUs can be used to upgrade to Business on this flight? Even if upgrading is not an option, how would one book into the Alize cabin?
DL SWU's don't work on AF. Have you tried booking on www.airfrance.us? Or .fr?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by stimpy
According to DL they are:
https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...erts/index.jsp
Systemwide Upgrade Certificates redemption on Partners:
Medallion member must contact Delta to book the upgrade reservation.
Seats are subject to availability and may not be available on all flights or in all markets.
Waitlist and standby not permitted.
Redemptions on KLM – Royal Dutch Airlines
Valid on all flights operated by KLM
One way upgrade from published Economy fares in M, B, S, or X class to Business class
Redemptions on Air France
Valid on most transatlantic flights operated by Air France1
One way upgrade from Economy to Premium Voyageur when booked in Y,B or K class
or
One way upgrade from Premium Voyageur to Business when booked in S,A or W class
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:25 pm

Right now I was just querying itineraries on both delta.com and airfrance.dk (I'm in Denmark) to get an idea of fares. I just can't figure out what to query (fare class?) to be booked in the Alize cabin.

I'd also like to find out options for upgrading, either with DL SWUs or DL miles, on an AF flight. I assume I would book on DL.com, no? But that it could be an AF flight, and DL could upgrade it for me?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Ample discussion in the SkyMiles section of FlyerTalk:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rance-klm.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...sing-swus.html
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:27 pm

Thanks, mia. Will spend some time reading those threads. Sorry for going OT on the AmEx forum.

Susan
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My apologies. I never noticed that before. Still, knowing how AF applies these rules, and even though it doesn't explicitly say yes or no, I would doubt it will work in SusanDK's case where she is going from Europe to the US. It seems to be designed for US to Europe. I'd be very interested if it does work for her!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:35 pm

I would doubt it will work in SusanDK's case where she is going from Europe to the US. It seems to be designed for US to Europe. I'd be very interested if it does work for her!
I do it on DL all the time, flying Europe to US and return, paying for M fare and getting a Z upgrade using either the old PMUs or miles. I can't imagine not being able to do the same on AF if there is an arrangement whereby AF flights can be upgraded with DL miles or SWUs. I'll do more research - but it looks like my desired route (CDG-MCO) will be the problem as it will be with an aircraft that is not configured for PE (PV).

Susan
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
My apologies. I never noticed that before. Still, knowing how AF applies these rules, and even though it doesn't explicitly say yes or no, I would doubt it will work in SusanDK's case where she is going from Europe to the US. It seems to be designed for US to Europe. I'd be very interested if it does work for her!
It doesn't matter if its US-Europe or Europe-US. If you buy a S,A,W Premium Economy ticket and there is O availability (classic business class award), then you can upgrade to Affaires with miles or a SWU.

Same goes for Economy YBK -> Premium Economy

Susan- At this time, you cannot upgrade from Alize class to Affaires using Delta instruments. I'd recommend flying to ATL/MIA then flying to MCO
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thepointsguy
Susan- At this time, you cannot upgrade from Alize class to Affaires using Delta instruments. I'd recommend flying to ATL/MIA then flying to MCO
Not MIA it seems.

Not valid on AF operated flight from Miami to Paris; only valid on flights with the Premium Economy Cabin.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Agreed, this is awesome news. As a Centurion, I now try to book most of my travel on US and DL because of the high levels of status.

I can almost rationally justify the Centurion fees now!

Also worth pointing out that DL status gets you upgrades on Alaska Air, although I think it is day-of-flight-only, and it's a bit confusing and poorly documented.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: Amex Personal Centurion, Amex Business Centurion(cancelled), Merril+, CitiGold, JP Morgan Palladium
WOW... now as a Delta Platinum, I can have ONE choice of benefit under Choice Benefits. One option is a $200 Tiffany & Co. gift card. I wonder if I should wait until I know I'm not going to travel before utilizing this benefit. Seems like the upgrade certificates might be tempting but there are fare code restrictions. Choices..choices...haha
Old Mar 4, 2011, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan
Agreed, this is awesome news. As a Centurion, I now try to book most of my travel on US and DL because of the high levels of status.

I can almost rationally justify the Centurion fees now!

Also worth pointing out that DL status gets you upgrades on Alaska Air, although I think it is day-of-flight-only, and it's a bit confusing and poorly documented.
There's a lot of good info on upgrading on AS as a DL elite in this thread.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Plat,Delta Plat, WN A-list & CP,SPG Plat, HiltonH DM,Hyatt Plat,Amex Centurion, Hertz Plat
Thanks Amex for the great upgrade to PL
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by rifle57
Thanks Amex for the great upgrade to PL
Not that I'd fly Delta, but it'd be nice if Amex Plat got you bottom-tier status on those same airlines. Silver on Delta and US would be nice if only for the *A and ST status benefits since my primary status is OW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.