Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Centurion now Delta Platinum Medallion status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, DL Gold, CO Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, USAir Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Check you DL accounts. Mine and my wife were both upgraded to platinum overnight.

Thumbs up AMEX

Centurion and Centurion additional card holder so not just a primary benefit
Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Mine was upgraded to Platinum last night too. Thanks DL and AmEx!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by S.Bling
Just curious, but why would this be considered so fantastic and amazing?

Same thing happened with US when they introduced a 4th elite tier. It took almost a year but Cents reverted back to "2nd tier" (i.e. plat).

DL and CO did the 4th tier introduction a year ago, and precedence would suggest Cents would be reverted back to their "2nd tier" rather than dropping to the "3rd tier".

The idea of this ever happening with CO was lost when it became apparent many months ago that CO was slowly souring its ties to Amex (although nobody predicted just how isolationist they would become with their CC relationship). It just remained see how the DL change would pan out, and when.
Maybe part was due to the gradual cementing of ties as affiliate CC issuer, maybe part was due to the many requests and inquiries to CCS, maybe part was due to the obvious "this is exactly what happened with US" or the futility of paying significant amounts for everyone to be 3rd tier - only to have them resent them for it.

-- (slight OT complete) --

Anyway:
in 2010
HH introduced fast-track to Diamond (automatic Diamond non-USA)
Various upscale car "benefits" added
US lounge access added (with no flight requirement)
$200 credit added

CO lounges will be lost
CO elite status willl be lost
UA elite status (indirect) will be lost
But to have DL revert to 2009's status as 2nd tier is so overwhelming to "seal the deal for some time to come"?

(it's genuine question, don't read into it wrong)
For me Centurion is about what I use. There are a million Golds out there and I fly Delta almost exclusively anyway due to living by SLC. I don't fly quite enough to get Gold on my own, so the Centurion helped there. However, to get the bump up to Platinum without having to do runs and whatnot is a big benefit to me because I'll get better positioning in the upgrade queues and that makes all the difference. US Plat was nice, but since I rarely use them, it wasn't that big of a deal. This is.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by sorro
Mine was upgraded to Platinum last night too. Thanks DL and AmEx!
Yep.

While I was originally led to understand that the official announcement was a few weeks away (and thus the website "leak" was a premature accident that was soon corrected) - it seems the change occured sooner than they anticipated.
In fact, they were so uncertain about the timing of the change to plat, that they paid who-knows-what to send all Cents their gold cards a couple of weeks ago (knowing that they would have to re-do all of them as plat if/when the agreement was signed)...

Still no formal announcement, however.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by SusanDK
DL Platinum would mean a lot to me, so I hope this thread isn't just getting my hopes up.

S.Bling, while you are correct that this would only realign us back to having DL's 2nd tier, I think most of us had given up hope that it would happen siince many had queried AmEx about it and we were told emphatically no, that Centurion would not get Platinum.

Susan
90% of CCS reps would tell you emphatically no because they have no idea who (in Amex) is speaking to whom (in DL/CO) and about what.
The other 10% aren't in a position to say anything when negotiations were at a premature stage (and all of their calls are recorded for posterity).
Once in a while they let "hints" slip - like when I mentioned last year that they alluded to the fact that one of their domestic partnerships would possibly end (turned out it was CO and it was a severe cut in ties).
Recently when someone in IT posted the DL PM info prematurely too.

Who knows what else (if anything) is in the pipeline...
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
For the questioning about gold vs. plat on DL, note that this is definitely an upgrade for Centurion cardholders. Two big perks that PM get that GM doesn't are unlimited free award redeposits and changes and free Economy Comfort seating on international flights. (Economy Comfort won't be on the domestic fleet.) These are effectively "top tier" benefits, so I wouldn't say that this change is just about restoring the second tier in terms of upgrade priority. There are definite advantages to PM over GM.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
congrats to you guys. nice lil/big perk
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
My DL Account and my supplemental's both say Platinum this morning. Thanks Amex!!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, Delta Platinum, US Air Platinum, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Both our accounts are platinum this morning. Question, will we now have the platinum perk of giving a complimentary silver status account?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by parpar22
Both our accounts are platinum this morning. Question, will we now have the platinum perk of giving a complimentary silver status account?
Ask the same question of VS gold which is supposed to gift VS silver to a 3rd party...
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
More incentive for BIS flyers to GTFO of DL/Skypiles. Why bother flying when you can spend your way to Medallion status?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by kudoslauncher
Check you DL accounts. Mine and my wife were both upgraded to platinum overnight.

Thumbs up AMEX

Centurion and Centurion additional card holder so not just a primary benefit
^ Wow, both my husband and me as well!!!! I am both thrilled and pi$$ed at the same time. This would have made a huge difference in our travel booking for later this month if we'd been Platinum (with the upgrade certs that come with it). We are trying VS instead, but I'm happy to shift my loyalty back to Delta next trip due to this.

Thanks DL and AmEx - good move!

Susan
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by SusanDK
^ Wow, both my husband and me as well!!!! I am both thrilled and pi$$ed at the same time. This would have made a huge difference in our travel booking for later this month if we'd been Platinum (with the upgrade certs that come with it). We are trying VS instead, but I'm happy to shift my loyalty back to Delta next trip due to this.

Thanks DL and AmEx - good move!

Susan
Do you get the choice benefits (SWUs in particular) for having complimentary PM status? I know DL won't give them to people who status match over from other carriers.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:22 am

My account was upgraded to Platinum, and I have the option of choosing my perk.

Folks, go to this link...

https://dn.delta.com/skymiles/choice...lectdetails.do

Thoughts on which Perk is the best choice?!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: AMEX Cenutrion, DL Platinum, CO Gold, US Plat., VS Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Plat.
FWIW, I also noticed the glitch (i.e., the reference to SM Platinum status) on the Centurion web site last week (by chance) and immediately called Centurion Member Services about it, because on the Cenutrion web site, the only reference to SM Platinum status was on the introductory "Air" benefits page (when you clicked through to the actual DL benefit, the SM Gold benefits came up, as they did previously). The very nice Centurion rep. with whom I spoke told me that she didn't know offhand, but that she would check. After placing me on hold for five minutes so that she could contact the AMEX Marketing Department, she came back and told me that while this hadn't been officially confirmed yet, PM status for Centurion people was in the works. She also promised to call me back as soon as she had a definitive update. Over the past week, I managed to forget about the whole issue, considering it a long-shot anyway, but earlier this morning, the same Centurion rep. called me back to confirm SM PM status as of today. How's that for great Centurion customer service?! Unlike airline customer service, Centurion customer service just keeps getting better and better.

Like others here, I checked the DL web site after I hung up with the Centurion rep., and saw that my PM status was now official as well. This bump-up, combined with the $200 fee credit for 2011 (I actually used mine for United, on which I have no elite status and which, consequently, charge me for everything when I fly them), helps a great deal in making my travel experience better. I think that I will choose the 20K bonus miles as my PM elective one-time perk, since the SWU certificates, if used to fly from the U.S. to Europe, require the purchase of a Y, B, or M fare that keeps getting higher and higher as the years go by (gone are the days when I could pay $950 r/t from JFK to CDG or FCO and use the SWUs to upgrade into BusinessElite).

Last edited by zhlobsky; Mar 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.