Plat Card users, do you ever get unwanted attention?

Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Plat Card users, do you ever get unwanted attention?

Using your card?

JFK Airport 2/06/2010 At the hertz return was putting the charge onto the AMEX Plat, girl at counter says "Can I get your number?" I really didn't mind that one in fact she wrote hers on my reciept my girlfriend was with me.

But then I have run into these situations.

Cupertino California 2/07/2011. I was at a mall there and used my AMEX plat to pay for some lunch for myself and some friends. Cashier then says to me
"Ohhhhh platnum card huh, how much does it cost ya when you getting the black one?"

Brooklyn NY 2/15/2011 MetroPCS store the clerk says to me when I make my purchase "ohh yeah I'm I never seen one of these in this neighborhood, can I see ID?"

Back in November I used the card in Puerto Rico "Oh we only take the green ones here". I was at a walgreens i ended up paying with cash.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
what mall were you at in cupertino when you got that reaction? valco? valley fair?

I grew up in that area and its rather affluent, I don't think I've ever gotten a reaction to my plat card there or anywhere else.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:24 pm

I've never gotten a reaction to it. Also thought it was a pretty common card.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I have used my card all over the world without one time anyone batting an eyelash, LOL I did have a see-thru debit card with my credit union that used to get some interesting comments on though!!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
I have used my card all over the world without one time anyone batting an eyelash
WSS. Was surprised at the reaction the OP got here in Cali (esp. in Silicon Valley), but even when I visit relatives in Flyover Country nobody really GAS.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

I am not sure if it was valley fair or the other mall, It was the one across from that mansion that the lady hasn't stopped building. Winchester Mansion I think it is.

It was at the Sbarro in the food court.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Lets hope Sarah Lockwood (Pardee) Winchester (1839 – 1922) has stopped building!

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I am not sure if it was valley fair or the other mall, It was the one across from that mansion that the lady hasn't stopped building. Winchester Mansion I think it is.

Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

DOH lol
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:27 pm

You mean Santana Row. That's in San Jose, not Cupertino.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

I don't know I just know my meetings were in Cupertino and the hotel shuttle took me there for free. The mall was across from Santana Row. Big indoor mall
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Nope, never once, has anyone commented on it.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
I don't know I just know my meetings were in Cupertino and the hotel shuttle took me there for free. The mall was across from Santana Row. Big indoor mall
that would be valley fair. i'm suprised anybody would comment on it there, for a laugh go to santana row at night - some people circle around the mall in their ferraris and porsches trying to get attention. and if you go into vbar you'll see its an older crowd with its fair share of gold diggers
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
You mean Santana Row. That's in San Jose, not Cupertino.
But I don't think Santana Row has a food court or a Sbarro. So I agree with the above poster, probably Valley Fair.

When Plat first came out, a billion years ago, I got a reaction once or twice. But not in the last 10 years!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
But I don't think Santana Row has a food court or a Sbarro. So I agree with the above poster, probably Valley Fair.

When Plat first came out, a billion years ago, I got a reaction once or twice. But not in the last 10 years!
Yup. You're right. If indoors, then valley fair. But then, that's in Santa Clara!

but Cupertino is close enough.

I've never had a reaction to my Plat. Oh wait... I did. I went to a Korean restaurant two nights ago, and the old lady yelled in astonishment...
"Hah? No American Express! No American Express!" and yet, the check holder said, "American Express."
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:42 am

Programs: LH Senator, Amex Centurion, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, Delta Platinum,
Platinum Cards Are So Common

Anyone can get a Platinum it is no BFD--Centurion is a totally different story

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.