Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Old May 19, 2011, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 5thofjuly

Thanks SkyTeam777 for pushing me to make the call. Amex as always was pleasant to deal with and I wound up getting more money put back in my pocket.
Great news, so glad to hear it!
Old May 19, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
I think that transactions below a threshold are reimbursed by an automated process. Anecdotal evidence from this thread suggests the threshold is at, or just below, $100. Transactions which exceed that threshold seem to be manually reviewed. If the policy excludes award fees I expect you will have to fight for it, arguing that the policy is irrelevant because it wasn't disclosed in the published terms.
And this is the only argument that matters. An email after the fact that the charge is excluded isn't valid, period.
Old May 21, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
I don't get to fly north american airlines very often, although do some reward tickets through Aeroplan, but for LH flights, but they're not included in the program, any ideas whether you can purchase eligible airline gift card and utilise/spend with star alliance partners, or cash out gift card somehow?, any and all wisdom and advice appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
now been 8 weeks and still no credit for airline lounge membership. just sent another secured message
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jmw2323
now been 8 weeks and still no credit for airline lounge membership. just sent another secured message
recv'd a response. Was told that if the credit is not automatically applied during the 2-4 week window, it can take up to 6 weeks to manually apply it. What a load of BS. Can take you about 20 seconds to apply it. So i may have to wait 10 weeks from the charge to see a credit. How come that little tidbit is not mentioned in the T&C?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jmw2323
recv'd a response. Was told that if the credit is not automatically applied during the 2-4 week window, it can take up to 6 weeks to manually apply it. What a load of BS. Can take you about 20 seconds to apply it. So i may have to wait 10 weeks from the charge to see a credit. How come that little tidbit is not mentioned in the T&C?
I would try to call CSR (but not on the weekend) and asking for a supervisor.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:03 pm

I read someone got refunds for .50 DL gift cards, but has anyone gotten refunds for larger amounts? I'm not interested in 400 .50 gift cards. Also, a $125 miscellaneous charge on DL for an in-cabin pet did automatically post for me.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold, Emerald Exec, DL Gold Medallion
WOW! Had no idea this thread would take off this big back in February.... Anyway.... I've been checking it frequently for all of your input and it's been great disecting this perk! Let's keep it going! I made my decision & used Most of my $200 credit for DL Economy Comfort upgrades RT for our Honeymoon to Barcelona... I'm sure I'll find a way to use the rest when I get thirsty on another DL flight!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Another data point:

I posted previously in the thread (many many pages ago) about my $150-ish award ticket fee. I incurred it two days after I registered DL as my preferred airline. No credit appeared for weeks. After couple of back-and-forths via secure message, the CSR said the fee should've been credited (I didn't specifically refer to it as award ticket fee, as AMEX seems to want to retroactively exclude it from T&Cs via language in secure messages). The CSR said he'd issue a manual credit within 4-6 weeks . I didn't argue, since I didn't really care WHEN, as long as I get it. Finally, today with my mid-June statement closing, the credit was applied.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by akcae
the CSR said the fee should've been credited (I didn't specifically refer to it as award ticket fee, as AMEX seems to want to retroactively exclude it from T&Cs via language in secure messages)
Under what other situation do you allow people to change the terms of an agreement AFTER you've agreed to it (with no notice), and subsequently refuse to reimburse you monies owed?

If the answer is NONE, why would you consider allowing Amex to do it?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by mreed911
Under what other situation do you allow people to change the terms of an agreement AFTER you've agreed to it (with no notice), and subsequently refuse to reimburse you monies owed?

If the answer is NONE, why would you consider allowing Amex to do it?
Agreed, I wouldn't. But I didn't want to prolong the discussion and get into an argument over whether the fee qualified for reimbursement. I simply said that I was charged a fee by DL, DL is selected as my preferred carrier, and as per the published benefit I was expecting a reimbursement.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
Csn I purchase miles @ the Ticket counter?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dhamal
Csn I purchase miles @ the Ticket counter?
I'll sell them to you via Paypal. I expect to drive about 400 miles today. How much will you pay me for them?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by milaohu
Anybody tried geting reimbursed for * award ticket fee (tax + possible fuel surcharge + possible phone booking fee)?
Has anyone had luck with this?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:25 pm

Spirit Airlines

Can I use the $200 AMX Platinum credit to pay for the Spirit $9 fare club membership? How about the Spirit Big front seat?

Thanks so much

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.