Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onetess
So let's say I book an int'l flight with FF miles, but have a couple of hundred dollars in taxes. Will the platinum benefit cover this?
Taxes, probably not. But if there are booking fees (e.g., phone agent, last-minute fee, etc.), my experiences is they show up separately from the ticket "purchase" and thus I suspect they would be eligible for reimbursement.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:22 am

I may be a bit daft but, was it always the case - from the inception of the program - that you had to pre-designate an airline for the $200 credit?

I didn't think that was the case but, sure enough, that's what the T&C say. I thought I had read them previously and the $200 credit went to any airline charge for any airline.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by flyr16
I may be a bit daft but, was it always the case - from the inception of the program - that you had to pre-designate an airline for the $200 credit?

I didn't think that was the case but, sure enough, that's what the T&C say. I thought I had read them previously and the $200 credit went to any airline charge for any airline.
Nope, it's always been an airline you designate for the year.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Fairmont Premier, SPG Gold
Yes, you need to designate the airline first before you spend the money to get refunded. But what they didn't tell you if that you can change this designation any time that you what. I have done this. I selected UA and then changed to AA after I got the $35 credit from UA months later.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by pguo
Yes, you need to designate the airline first before you spend the money to get refunded. But what they didn't tell you if that you can change this designation any time that you what. I have done this. I selected UA and then changed to AA after I got the $35 credit from UA months later.
^

How do I go about changing the designation?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:48 pm

Thanks for that info. Yes, being able to change the designation does not appear on the T&C. Tricky.

Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:16 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Changes are only permitted in December for the following calendar year:

Card members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. It can take up to 48 hours post enrollment and airline choice for the benefit to be effective. Card members who have already selected a qualifying airline will not be able to change their choice until December of each calendar year at which time they may change their airline choice for the following calendar year. Card members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline.
https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...mAirlineChoice
Old Mar 12, 2011, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by pguo
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
^

How do I go about changing the designation?
Same question to you, how do I go about changing the designation?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Changes are only permitted in December for the following calendar year:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...mAirlineChoice
This is the message I get when I try to change an airline via link that you enroll:

"Our records indicate you have already enrolled and selected an airline. Your enrollment will remain in effect for the Card and airline you selected for the 2010 and 2011 calendar years. You will have an opportunity to change your airline selection for the 2012 calendar year at the end of 2011. No action is needed if you wish to maintain your current selection for 2012.

Thank you for your continued Card membership.

To learn more about other Platinum Card® benefits, visit www.americanexpress.com/platinum."
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:15 am

Good to know you can make changes.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:27 pm

Use American Express Platinum $200 to Upgrade UA Credit Card

Has anyone tried to use the Amex Plat $200 airline reimbursement to upgrade their UA Credit card?

IF UA gift certs could be used to pay the Visa annual fee (I have the $95/year card, there's a $375/year card that includes Red Carpet membership), then I could buy the gift certs from UA and apply them to upgrade my UA Visa (and get RCC membership for about 100 bucks).

Just typing it makes it seem a bit convoluted to me, but in case anyone knows if it is even possible to pay part/all of the UA Visa annual fee with UA Gift certs, I'd appreciate the info.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by traderjo
Has anyone tried to use the Amex Plat $200 airline reimbursement to upgrade their UA Credit card?

IF UA gift certs could be used to pay the Visa annual fee (I have the $95/year card, there's a $375/year card that includes Red Carpet membership), then I could buy the gift certs from UA and apply them to upgrade my UA Visa (and get RCC membership for about 100 bucks).

Just typing it makes it seem a bit convoluted to me, but in case anyone knows if it is even possible to pay part/all of the UA Visa annual fee with UA Gift certs, I'd appreciate the info.
Check the AMEX forum. Thread there discussing what people have / have not been successful in getting reimbursed for.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...p-rewards-410/
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:14 am

I highly doubt that Chase would accept UA gift certificates for the annual fee on one of their cards, even it if is a cobranded United card. I also think you'll find that gift certificates aren't working for the reimbursement.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:08 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In any event I wouldn't be "worried". You paid $200 for an item with a cash value of exactly $200. If American Express does not reimburse it you have lost nothing and nine more months to make a qualifying purchase.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Anyone have suggestions for getting reimbursed on a charge that's specifically listed as reimbursable... Despite having called in January, February and March, I haven't been able to get my $200... Every time, I get the "wait 2-4 weeks" line, but it never actually happens.
Stop calling. Use the secure email form and get this documented in writing. Every time they reply, reply back with more information. Push them that way, ensuring that it's all documented well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.