Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
This has most likely been asked but I searched various terms and can't find an answer...

The Amex Plat says $200 credit PER YEAR.
does that means if i get a card now.. i can get $200 tomorrow, $200 on 1/1/2013
then cancel the card? effectively costing me $50 for the card, for the bonus miles and lounge access?

or am i interpreting 'per year' wrong.. as in it's not calendar year, but 'card holder year'.

thanks!
Old May 24, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by vmsea
This has most likely been asked but I searched various terms and can't find an answer...

The Amex Plat says $200 credit PER YEAR.
does that means if i get a card now.. i can get $200 tomorrow, $200 on 1/1/2013
then cancel the card? effectively costing me $50 for the card, for the bonus miles and lounge access?

or am i interpreting 'per year' wrong.. as in it's not calendar year, but 'card holder year'.

thanks!
It goes by calendar year.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by trek87
It goes by calendar year.

so I could buy $200 of gift cert each year.. cancel card.. and basically be net $50 annual fee?
sold. thanks.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
AMX Platinum Airlne Fees

I am considering the upgrade from the Gold card to the Platinum card for the 25,000 bonus miles and $200 in airline charges. I was wondering if they will pay for a fee if the original ticket is not charged to the Platinum AMX Card. Will they pay the $150 fee that some airlines charge if I am using mileage and didn;t really pay for the ticket?

Also I am a little confused with the lounge access. What lounges are included and is access for a spouse also included?
Old May 30, 2012, 3:45 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by holocker
...hey will pay for a fee if the original ticket is not charged to the Platinum AMX Card.
There is no requirement that you purchase the ticket with the Platinum Card, but the change fee itself must be charged to the card. Please see earlier posts in this thread.

What lounges are included and is access for a spouse also included?
Platinum offers access for you and two guests to lounges operated by American Airlines, Delta Airlines and US Airways. To access the American or Delta lounges you must be ticketed on a flight operated by the same airline as operates the lounge.

See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...arge-card.html

Platinum also provides a membership in Priority Pass Select, a network of 600+ lounges. The cardholder is admitted free, but guests are $27 each. Priority Pass Select includes access to lounges operated by Alaska Airlines, but specifically excludes all lounges operated by United Airlines. Please see this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-select.html?

Last edited by mia; Jun 2, 2012 at 4:48 am Reason: Remove circular link after merge
Old May 30, 2012, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Re: lounges - don't forget they just added the Airspace lounge at BWI, too (allegedly Airspace will be expanding soon to other airports).

For everything else, the threads mia referenced are your best friends. Also, the Amex site itself is quite useful. Clicking on the little superscript numbers brings up the fine print.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:35 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread closed because American Express has clarified the benefit provisions. Please continue discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...purchases.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.