Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:08 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

The benefit is $200 per account, not per card.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:58 pm

Recommendations for choice of Airline [for $200 fee reimbursement benefit]?

Just got my Amex Platinum card and was wondering which airline has the best reputation/service in your opinion. I'll primarily be flying through DC, Boston and Atlanta most likely with some trips to LAX. I also currently don't have many points accumulated in any specific airline so pretty open. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:17 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
It's unclear from your post where you are based, which has a major impact on useful advice.

If you're in Washington, US Airways or United would probably be a good call – DCA (Reagan National) is a major focus for US and IAD (Dulles) is a hub for United, and since they are both Star Alliance carriers you can earn miles in either mileage program for both airlines. Delta is obviously the big game in Atlanta, but they're focusing on LaGuardia and no longer provide nonstop service between Boston and DC.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is really simple maths.

Ask this yourself - in the last 12 months, which did you fly with the most?

That's your answer.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by garykung
It is really simple maths.

Ask this yourself - in the last 12 months, which did you fly with the most?

That's your answer.
that's a pretty horrible solution. i fly DL way more than others, but I would use AA or US as my choice to pay for award, baggage, or other fees. plus, you can purchase e-gift cards at year-end if you haven't reached $200.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by mrredskin
that's a pretty horrible solution. i fly DL way more than others, but I would use AA or US as my choice to pay for award, baggage, or other fees. plus, you can purchase e-gift cards at year-end if you haven't reached $200.
So you can do gift cards on US or AA but NOT DL?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Agreed -- what you should ask yourself is which airline do you fly but find yourself paying fees on? If you fly DL the most and have status, most likely you're not paying for baggage, in-flight food/beverages, etc.

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
So you can do gift cards on US or AA but NOT DL?
Partially correct - you'd probably get reimbursed, but DL's gift card/cert is terrible. They can only be bought/redeemed at the airport or a ticket office, which also incurs a ticketing fee.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by akcae
Agreed -- what you should ask yourself is which airline do you fly but find yourself paying fees on? If you fly DL the most and have status, most likely you're not paying for baggage, in-flight food/beverages, etc.
Do you have a better solution?

Remember - what matters is getting the full value of $200.

OP did not specify where he or she is based. So there is no way to determine which one is the best choice. Also - assuming that OP's trip is paid through work, the only thing matter is the $200. Gift card may not be the best solution for OP.

Bottom line - history makes the case.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:54 pm

thanks for all the responses, I ended up going with the UA/CO gift card in hope of getting them refunded.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:38 am

Anyone have any success with Hawaiian Airlines gift cards? I'd like to try it but don't want to risk burning it.
Old May 16, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Avis President's Club
Lounge Access using $200 Amex Credit

Have layover in Nice France next month and was trying to use my wife's Amex credit to get my kids in Air France/Skyteam/Priority Pass lounge in T2--is there any way this can be done? Thanks.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:23 am
mia
Original Poster

There are two Priority Pass lounges in Terminal 2, but the Priority Pass membership will only cover the cardholder's admission and American Express would not reimburse the cost of entering those lounges because they are not operated by an airline. (Is your wife travelling?)

Which airlines will you be flying, and do you hold status on any airline in the same alliance?

Airport: Nice - Côte D Azur, Terminal 2
Lounge: Salon Du Cap D'antibes
Location: Airside - after Passport Control, proceed to the 1st Floor of the International Area. The Lounge is located on the right hand side after 'Bar du Monde'.

Opening Hours: 08:00 - 21:30 daily.

Conditions: Non-Schengen (T2) flights only - Children under 3 years are admitted free - Non-smoking.
Airport: Nice - Côte D Azur, Terminal 2
Lounge: Salon Du Cap Ferrat
Location: Airside - after Security Checks, located on the left hand side near the 'Saveurs de Provence' Shop.

Opening Hours: 05:50 - 21:30 daily.

Conditions: Schengen (T2) flights only - Children under 3 years are admitted free - Non-smoking.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by jjbri
Have layover in Nice France next month and was trying to use my wife's Amex credit to get my kids in Air France/Skyteam/Priority Pass lounge in T2--is there any way this can be done? Thanks.
The Priority Pass membership that comes with the Platinum AMEX charges for guests brought into participating lounges. So even if you're an authorized user on your wife's account (which makes you eligible for your own Priority Pass Select membership as well), you will still have to pay an additional fee for your children. The $200 airline fee credit covers lounge day passes, but I'm not sure that AF is an eligible airline.

http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...enefits/Travel
Old May 18, 2012, 7:49 am
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trek87
... I'm not sure that AF is an eligible airline.
It is not.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:59 pm

Didn't want to make a new thread so I thought I'd post here.

Going to be doing some domestic and a bit of international (London / Paris) travel for fun in the next few months from BOS. I'd like to take advantage of the credit while I can still apply it to gift certificates. Any suggestions on the carrier to pick that I can purchase gift certificats from?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.