Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by rcodey
I was reimbursed for the purchase of Elite maximizer with CO.
I did this earlier this week and was not reimbursed. Was trying to use the last of my $200 for the year

Update: Disregard... took a few days, but was reimbursed.

Last edited by mbreuer; Dec 26, 2011 at 9:30 pm Reason: Updated.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
I am looking to utilize this benefit before year's end. I just received the card and have not designated an airline. In reviewing the thread, it looks like AA GC and US Air ones are sometimes reimbursed. AA's T&C say that the GCs cannot be used for Award fees, US's T&C are less clear...does anyone know if they can be used for award booking fees?

I am also curious if you buy 4 US $50 GCs, does it post at 4x$50 or 1x$200?...it sounds like lower amounts generally have a better shot at being reimbursed. That is more of a concern with US as they charge $15 shipping fee/order.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 8:32 pm

Has anyone had luck with having Amex reconsider reimbursement of GC transactions in excess of $100 (for CO)?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, AA Plat, Marriott LT P, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by muflyer
I am also curious if you buy 4 US $50 GCs, does it post at 4x$50 or 1x$200?...it sounds like lower amounts generally have a better shot at being reimbursed. That is more of a concern with US as they charge $15 shipping fee/order.
I just purchased 4x$50 US GC's on 12/21 and was reimbursed on 12/23 for $200. The charge showed up as $215 for US, but as previous posts have seemed to indicate, the amount is per item and not per transaction. I'm just waiting for 1/1 to roll around and get the next four GC's. Good luck!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:03 am

Never mind, I was reimbursed for the full amount today!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
$100 GC purchased on 12/24 and i have not yet been reimbursed. If the credit appears next year, does that count towards 2011 or 2012?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:46 pm

Does anyone who has experience from last year and remember if when you switched calendar years were you able to switch your airline choice via computer or you needed to call?

I spoke to CS and some said I will need to call if I want to switch for 2012 and some said I will be able do it via computer.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Just wanted to add a data point to the discussion of the $200 reimbursement for airline fees... Several people earlier in the thread asked if the reimbursement could be used for annual airline club fees (as opposed to day/one-time use passes), and I never saw that question answered (although maybe it was and I missed it).

Anyway, on Dec. 21 I renewed my United Club (fka Red Carpet Club) membership ($400), paying with my Amex Platinum (I had always previously charged it to my Chase MP Visa). A mere two days later, on Dec. 23, the $200 reimbursement was credited to my Amex! I hadn't made any other United purchases on my Amex the entire year, so it was definitely for the club membership.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:10 am

Need to change next year to either AA, UA, US Airways or Delta

Which one has better success in being reimbursed for using the credit for purchasing awards tickets?

Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by whynotnow
Does anyone who has experience from last year and remember if when you switched calendar years were you able to switch your airline choice via computer or you needed to call?

I spoke to CS and some said I will need to call if I want to switch for 2012 and some said I will be able do it via computer.
This benefit started the end of last year so there wasn't a switch option available then, it was the initial signup, which you could do online (for some) but I had to call in to get it to work. IIRC, the airline you signed up for at the end of 2010 carried forward to 2011.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta Hilton
Originally Posted by InfoMofo
The original charge looked like this (price includes tax i think):

And the reimbursement showed up as:

As stated previously, I don't believe this would have happened automatically- I had to call and pester them to make it happen, as the fee amount was over 200. If other people are looking to do something similar, also note that you don't even need to be buying MQMs for yourself. These I purchased for my bf.
When you called what did the CSR ask about the charge? Im getting push back on some $50 GCs so I am considering buying the MQMs. What did you tell them the charge was?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by whynotnow

In my December statement, there was note on the first page that I can change the airline in January by going to the following site.

www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:36 pm

I bought at $50 CO gift certificate last week, received the certificate via e-mail immediately and already reimbursed. I bought another one earlier today and have not yet received the e-mail with the certificate. Shouldn't I have received the certificate immediately like the prior one? Thankfully, I printed the billing confirmation.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: DL-Gold, Starwood. Previously AA Gold and United Premier Gold, and OnePass
Originally Posted by zshanlon
When you called what did the CSR ask about the charge? Im getting push back on some $50 GCs so I am considering buying the MQMs. What did you tell them the charge was?
They didn't even ask, as I recall. Since the category showed up as "fee" on the amex site, they were pretty easygoing about it.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:46 am

CO stmt credits posted in $75, $50, $75 denominations

3 separate transactions
3 separate dates
each stmt credit posted within 3 business days of purchase
purchased 12/20 thru 12/25

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.