5 FREE Songs from iTunes via AMEX (YMMV)

Old Feb 16, 11, 6:01 pm

The rebates of $50X5, if it can happen.
Originally Posted by mreed911 View Post
The rebate of $7.05?
Old Feb 16, 11, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Nelumbo View Post
The rebates of $50X5, if it can happen.
You must not have read the thread.
Old Feb 16, 11, 10:06 pm

I read the thread again and found my previous understanding wrong, sorry.
My question is, did anyone try to buy the iTunes gift certificate on iTunes Store and get the rebate?
You must not have read the thread.
Old Feb 17, 11, 3:39 am
NFH

Programs: BA blue, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
I'm not entirely sure after reading the posts so far, but if I buy one iPhone app for $11.99, what rebate will I receive? $7.05?
Old Feb 17, 11, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The title of the promo, and the title of this thread, is Itunes songs. Not apps. I wouldn't expect to get any refund for anything other than songs.
Old Feb 17, 11, 4:24 am
NFH

Programs: BA blue, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
The title of the promo, and the title of this thread, is Itunes songs. Not apps. I wouldn't expect to get any refund for anything other than songs.
Sorry, but I don't think you've read the read of the thread properly, which caused me to ask my question, for example:
Originally Posted by teege View Post
FWIW, I even purchased all apps and was credited.
Originally Posted by finiteyoda View Post
I don't think it matters. AMEX states that Apple is not a partner or sponsor in the promo, which means they probably have no idea what you actually bought.
Old Feb 17, 11, 7:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
The rebate of $7.05?
On the 2 cards I have used so far, I got $7.05 regardless of the purchase amount. I guess this is an average of 5 songs w/taxes. AMES does not seem to track the actual amount spent, maybe cause I bought individual songs. I have a third card, but getting an error message to contact support now that I am trying to use it.
Old Feb 17, 11, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by FLgrr View Post
On the 2 cards I have used so far, I got $7.05 regardless of the purchase amount. I guess this is an average of 5 songs w/taxes. AMES does not seem to track the actual amount spent, maybe cause I bought individual songs. I have a third card, but getting an error message to contact support now that I am trying to use it.
And does someone need to be logged into itunes to purchase- ie can I purchase a 5 dollar gift card for someone else...
Old Feb 17, 11, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
And does someone need to be logged into itunes to purchase- ie can I purchase a 5 dollar gift card for someone else...
It specifically says a purchase in iTunes once you've added your Amex to your iTunes account.

Can people not read?
Old Feb 17, 11, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by FLgrr View Post
It would be pretty easy to issue a credit for up to the next five transactions under ~$1.40 for iTunes.

I got $7.05 as well, having bought slightly less in terms of iTunes songs.

Basically what this is is Amex paying cardholders about $6 to ensure that they are using Amex on itunes rather than a competitor.
Old Feb 17, 11, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post

Basically what this is is Amex paying cardholders about $6 to ensure that they are using Amex on itunes rather than a competitor.
Exactly. And changing cards in iTunes is not totally easy/obvious, so they are betting most people will leave it that way
Old Feb 17, 11, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CX, SQ, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Another data point - bought three songs with one card over the weekend. Just received an email that $7.05 will be credited. So it looks like $7.05 is the fixed amount.

Now I am ready to use the second card and buy one song (or app) to trigger the credit.
Old Feb 17, 11, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by yojimbo View Post
I registered for this offer, but I then realized that my iTunes account has a $51 credit from gift cards, etc.

So my next $51 of iTunes purchases will reduce my credit.....I'm trying to figure out if I can disable the credit and charge my next 5 songs to my AMEX in order to take advantage of this offer.
I asked Apple support the same question and got a "no can do". I got a bunch of gift cards for the holiday and unless I burn the 52.50 first, it won't hit my amex card.
Old Feb 17, 11, 6:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
I registered a total of 9 Amex cards for this offer, which included accounts where I was just an authorized user. I successfully changed the credit card in my account a total of 4 times and received the emails that I would receive the credit a total of 3 times after making the purchases.

After adding the fourth card, however, I wasn't able to make purchases anymore using my iTunes account and was told to contact iTunes support. After doing so--and in my email to them explaining why I wanted to change my credit card so many times--I was told that it was only possible to change one's credit card 5 times in a month, but that they wanted to "resolve" this issue and would forward on my issue to another department.

We'll see what happens. The strange thing is that I only changed my card four times, not five.
Old Feb 18, 11, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
I asked Apple support the same question and got a "no can do". I got a bunch of gift cards for the holiday and unless I burn the 52.50 first, it won't hit my amex card.
I had the same problem, so I just opened a new iTunes acoount with a different e-mail. I've got a dozen AMEX cards to churn through and then I'll go back to my original account. It's kind of a pain though.

Search this Thread