Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance: Canada AMEX Plat and AMEX Plat Aero/CIBC Aero Infinite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Hello.
I booked a ticket with my AMEX Plat Aero and was a bit upset to find that regarding travel insurance the RSB company really doesn't offer any kind of insurance when it comes to trip distruption.

CIBC Infinite told me just because their card is Aero that it has no insurance.
You must buy it separate.

I was hoping by booking my ticket on AMEX Plat and being a fraud victim regarding hotel and tour bookings that they could do nothing and the only course was the RCMP or Police fraud section.

Any experience from our FF members?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by travelblond
...fraud victim...
No doubt the legal protections are somewhat different in Canada, but in the USA "fraud" would not be covered by travel insurance but rather you would "dispute" the charge because you paid for goods or services not provided. This would be a basic protection provided with any credit card from any issuer.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:28 am

Please clarify the actual problem

When you say you've been victimized, what was actually done?

If someone charged amounts to your account, it's someone else's problem, not yours. Furthermore, it has nothing to do with insurance. you pay for those charges you charged to your account, you don't pay for those you didn't charge. Simple.

But you asked about trip disruption. Did you have a trip booked, which was disrupted? What caused the disruption?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzgayguy
When you say you've been victimized, what was actually done?

If someone charged amounts to your account, it's someone else's problem, not yours. Furthermore, it has nothing to do with insurance. you pay for those charges you charged to your account, you don't pay for those you didn't charge. Simple.

But you asked about trip disruption. Did you have a trip booked, which was disrupted? What caused the disruption?
A company based in Montreal was paid to book my hotels, tours and domestic flights but never booked them and I am waiting for the wire transfer to be returned. The fraud by this company in Nun's Island (Ile des Soers - Montreal, Quebec.) has given us disruption by having no place to stay and out of a lot of money. Preparing police file as charges will be filed for fraud.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:32 am

Trip Interruption insurance doesn't work precisely that way. You'd have to look at the parameters described in the insurance certificate that came with your card. If they're telling you that they're not covering your situation, then they're not covering you.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:51 am

A company based in Montreal was paid to book my hotels, tours and domestic flights but never booked them and I am waiting for the wire transfer to be returned. The fraud by this company in Nun's Island (Ile des Soers - Montreal, Quebec.) has given us disruption by having no place to stay and out of a lot of money. Preparing police file as charges will be filed for fraud.
So you don't have any flights booked? or you have some international flights booked?

Can you sue the company that defrauded you to pay for your international tickets? or can you find other arrangements for tours/hotels?

How much time do you have?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
So you don't have any flights booked? or you have some international flights booked?

Can you sue the company that defrauded you to pay for your international tickets? or can you find other arrangements for tours/hotels?

How much time do you have?
Flights were booked on our own.
Will file police report and file with fraud center if payment is not returned by a date next month.
Dept is first week of March. At this point waiting to see if payment will be returned. First week of February is the time limit for this.

If anyone else ever has to deal with fraud like this, know that you file with the police and they give the report to your bank to have a full investigation on where the wire transfer was sent. Banks can not do a proper investigation of the recip without the police report.

Will let you know.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
This is exactly why you NEVER wire transfer a travel agency (or really anyone) money! If they don't take credit cards there's a reason. Wire transfer are basically just like sending them cash.

At this point I'm betting you're out whatever amount you sent them via wire transfer. Even if you sue them or the police arrest them you probably won't see a dime because they don't have your money anymore... They spent it!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jandersinc
This is exactly why you NEVER wire transfer a travel agency (or really anyone) money! If they don't take credit cards there's a reason. Wire transfer are basically just like sending them cash.

At this point I'm betting you're out whatever amount you sent them via wire transfer. Even if you sue them or the police arrest them you probably won't see a dime because they don't have your money anymore... They spent it!
I understand what you are saying but we already have the confirmed address (residential), company CEO name and his home address and email confirming that payment would be confirmed. His company is still active and the Cad gov't is ready to pounce on this if payment is not returned. A letter will be delivered stating that if the money is not returned by this day that both the police and Cad Fraud Dept of the Cad gov't are ready to take action. (translation - for them fraud = there must be hidden unpaid taxes and more fraudulent activity with that company)

Will let you know the results.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:41 am
mia

I booked a ticket with my AMEX Plat Aero...
...waiting for the wire transfer to be returned....
I'm confused. Did you pay by card or did you pay by wire transfer?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:18 am

I booked a ticket with my AMEX Plat Aero
A company based in Montreal was paid to book my hotels, tours and domestic flights but never booked them
I am also confused. So do you have tickets booked or not? You said you booked the flights yourself, so that's the international portion?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I am also confused. So do you have tickets booked or not? You said you booked the flights yourself, so that's the international portion?
Yes. Intl tickets booked on AMEX Plat. (these are ok)
Domestic tix and hotels, tours by wire. (issue)
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Then none of the card insurances would have covered you unless you have purchased extra insurance, because you didn't pay for those problem expenses with the card.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:32 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jarusoba
... none of the card insurances would have covered you ... because you didn't pay for those problem expenses with the card.
While this is generally true, there are exceptions in Canada. This thread has a slightly different focus, but might prove useful to travelblond:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...l-medical.html
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by mia
While this is generally true, there are exceptions in Canada. This thread has a slightly different focus, but might prove useful to travelblond:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...l-medical.html
Thanks, mia for this link. I missed this post completely. Now I have made my contribution there.

In the OP's case, it's is not a medical issue. I still don't think it would have helped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.