Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How do the 4x bonus points work for Platinum bonuspointsmall purchases?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium

Simple question...I just bought a laptop with a price of $1039.00. With tax and shipping it comes to $1150.

How are the points calculated? Do I receive:

Bonus points of 4600 (1150x4)
Standard points 1150 (for charging to my card)
Total: 5750??
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: AA,United,Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Just get the 4x on the base cost, not on the tax or the shipping. I have seen the points take 2 to 10 weeks to get credited. Keep all emails for verification since the amex website won't tell you from where the points are getting credited from.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TommyC80
How are the points calculated?
You will receive 1,150 base points from American Express for the spend. You will receive 3 x 1039 = 3,117 from the Mall. 4,267 total.
Old May 28, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: A few
Can anyone explain/show me the additional bonus for Platinum members? I see it referred to all over but can't see the basics. So if for example one buys something at a 4x retailer, on most cards you get 1x base point for spend, 3x bonus points for using the mall, and ?x for using platinum?
Old May 28, 2011, 11:07 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
... buys something at a 4x retailer, on most cards you get 1x base point for spend, 3x bonus points for using the mall, and ?x for using platinum?
You receive 1 point for the spend. If you use a Green or Gold card you would receive 2 points for using the mall, if you have a Platinum card you receive 3 points for using the mall. 1 + 3 = 4, and that is what American Express means by 4X.
Old May 29, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by mia
You receive 1 point for the spend. If you use a Green or Gold card you would receive 2 points for using the mall, if you have a Platinum card you receive 3 points for using the mall. 1 + 3 = 4, and that is what American Express means by 4X.
Ah ok so now when I log in, because my account has both a plat and premier rewards gold, I will see the higher plat rates? (i.e. no way to see and validate the lower earning rates?) either way guess it is easy to compare rates with other online portals to see which is best
Old May 29, 2011, 2:36 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
...easy to compare rates with other online portals to see which is best
This is the only comparison that matters. Previously, all Bonus Points Mall merchants awarded the same number of points per dollar, except during promotions. Now that the mall has been folded into americanexpress.com/earn I expect this will change and we will see offers which vary by merchant, just as we do on airline portals.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:15 am

4x points for *using* or *having* platinum

I have a gold premier and a platinum card -- when i click through to a 4x bonus points offer, do i need to pay with the platinum, or will any MR card qualify?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by rdgb2
I have a gold premier and a platinum card -- when i click through to a 4x bonus points offer, do i need to pay with the platinum, or will any MR card qualify?
It would have to be on the Platinum card. I have both cards and they're each tied to different MR accounts, my presumption is because the Plat participates in MR First, whereas the PR Gold does not.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Gold
I remember at some point in the past actually being able to verify through the amex website which transactions I received the bonuspoints for. Does anyone recall how to do this?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:27 am
mia

Originally Posted by djmich
Does anyone recall how to do this?
We recall how it was done, but American Express removed this feature when Bonus Points Mall morphed into americanexpress.com/earn .
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:12 pm

Happen to know what happens if the merchant doesn't charge the card until the item ships? I ordered an iPad 2 and Apple didn't charge until it shipped, approximately 2 weeks after I placed the order. It's been 10 weeks so far (since order date) and no bonus points have posted yet.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 9:42 am

Anyone know if these post as a separate credit or bundled with your Pending points credits when the statement is issued?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: avis president , national executive, hertz presidents, delta platinum, spg platinum
anyone have experience using at avis rent a car? supposedly you cant use any awd?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by traveldealer
anyone have experience using at avis rent a car? supposedly you cant use any awd?
Correct, you have to use the Amex specified AWD. Usually this is at a higher rate then your corporate or other affiliate discount rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.