Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How do the 4x bonus points work for Platinum bonuspointsmall purchases?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do the 4x bonus points work for Platinum bonuspointsmall purchases?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Since Amex has replaced bonus point mall with the new portal membershiprewards.com/earn, am I right that the 4x bonus feature on Platinum (or one additional point compared to Green/Gold/Blue) is gone??

Amex has updated benefit sections of Plat/Gold/Green/Blue and it seems every card get the same "up to 10x points". It will be good if Amex continues to give one extra point to Plat. Your thoughts?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by leonard016
...right that the 4x bonus feature on Platinum (or one additional point compared to Green/Gold/Blue) is gone??
No. If I go to americanexpress.com/earn without logging in and without cookies to identify my card type, I see lower offers than when I login and the system identifies me as a Platinum cardholder. Platinum (and Centurion, I assume) still receive one extra point per dollar.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
I tried it myself - you are right that Plat continues to earn one extra point.

I never paid attention but just found that even the color schemes are different. Regular MR is green and MR First is black.
Originally Posted by mia
No. If I go to americanexpress.com/earn without logging in and without cookies to identify my card type, I see lower offers than when I login and the system identifies me as a Platinum cardholder. Platinum (and Centurion, I assume) still receive one extra point per dollar.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Air-Kayaker (former United MP)
Extra Points on Purchases - via MR site only?

I just signed up for MR and could not find the answer to this on the MR website:

On the MR site several partners show extra points for purchasing (example rental car companies = 3x points).

Do the 3x points get applied automatically, or is that only if the booking is made thru the AMEX MR site? (I prefer to book my rentals directly on the vendor's site).

TIA.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:41 pm

You at the Membership Rewards site, and then click through to purchase at the vendor's site. It's mostly automatic, but when it does fail to work at planned, AMEX are pretty good about crediting the points manually.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:59 pm

I should have clarified

I understand that if I am at the MR site I click thru to the specific vendor site, i would get the 3x points for that purchase.

I am asking *must* it be done this way to get the 3x points, or will the 3x points be credited automatically if i were to simply goto the vendor site directly. Seems to me if I am using the card for the purchase, the 2012-ish thing would be that it is all linked and credits the MP acct regardless through which site the purchase was originated/processed...for that matter at-the-counter purchases would also count for 3x, yes?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Yes

Yes it must be done in order to get the extra points..basically they are getting a finder's fee for referring you to the website to do your shopping..you have to click through their link for them to get credit for your potential sale. As a thanks, they award you additional points per dollar if you submit an order. If you are familiar with "cookies" on your computer, they use cookies to keep track of you and who referred you to vendors site. That is how they track you for the extra points.

I hope this helps! If you think about old fashion mail-in rebates, it works similarly..you have to not just buy the item, but also fill out the slip letting the vendor know where you purchased the item from (include original receipt), etc..Eventually you then (hopefully :-) get money back...In this case, you eventually get additional points.

Originally Posted by WhiteOut
I understand that if I am at the MR site I click thru to the specific vendor site, i would get the 3x points for that purchase.

I am asking *must* it be done this way to get the 3x points, or will the 3x points be credited automatically if i were to simply goto the vendor site directly. Seems to me if I am using the card for the purchase, the 2012-ish thing would be that it is all linked and credits the MP acct regardless through which site the purchase was originated/processed...for that matter at-the-counter purchases would also count for 3x, yes?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:46 pm

ok thanks for the quick clarification.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:03 am
mia

Originally Posted by WhiteOut
Do the 3x points get applied automatically,
It's important to understand that when American Express says "3X" they mean "two bonus points". You earn one point for using the card, and two bonus points for using the shopping portal. The portal points take many weeks to post, and currently there is no way to see pending points to verify that your transaction was recorded correctly. Be sure to read the terms of each individual merchant offer because discounted purchases are often disqualified. All in all, it's a mediocre shopping site.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by mia
It's important to understand that when American Express says "3X" they mean "two bonus points". You earn one point for using the card, and two bonus points for using the shopping portal. The portal points take many weeks to post, and currently there is no way to see pending points to verify that your transaction was recorded correctly. Be sure to read the terms of each individual merchant offer because discounted purchases are often disqualified. All in all, it's a mediocre shopping site.
Yes, I really wish Amex would take a page from Ultimaterewards...
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:47 am

Bonus Mall Questions

Is there a general bonus mall thread? I can't find one, although I'll allow my searches are not great. Might be a good idea.

In any event, I wonder if anyone has any experience with paying for a purchase in part with a gift card? I have an apple purchase I need to make and would like to get the 6x points. I also have a $100 apple gift card. If at check out, I apply the gift card to bring the total down $100 and then use my Amex to charge the remaining, say, $500, will I get the 6x on the $500?

Also, is there anywhere to see pending bonus mall points or transactions? I really find the entire Amex MR points summaries very unweildy and difficult to track, considering the delay in posting. The numbers shown on my statements rarely match the numbers shown online, and I find it very difficult to check that bonuses and the like are posting correctly.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:53 am
mia

Originally Posted by lkar
is there anywhere to see pending bonus mall points
Not any more:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...oint-mall.html
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
4x points on MR website

Has any one used the 4x points feature to make reservations by going through membershiprewards/earn website and got the points awarded? How long does it take for them to be posted? I have used that website and its been more than 6 weeks and the points have not been posted. And the CS reps have no idea when and how many will post other than to say it will take 6-8 weeks. Appreciate if any one can shed some light on this. Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Did you use your premier rewards gold card (3x on travel + 1x on MR site = 4x)?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
I used the Amex Platinum card and I was not talking about 3x on travel + 1x from MR website. If you shop at certain vendors through Amex MR website you get 4x points. And the website lists links to most hotel chains, rental car and other companies. I am thinking this is similar to the Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall. I used both of them over the last 6 weeks and neither one posted yet but I have seen lot of posts about the points posting for using Ultimate Rewards mall. I dont see similar posts about Membership Rewards. I am trying to see if I should continue to use MR website or use something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.