Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Up to 30k Membership Rewards points for using International Payments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Receive up to 30,000 Membership Rewards points

* You can receive 15,000 points when you activate your FX International Payments account and an additional 15,000 points when you make 3 FX transactions within 90 days of account opening.3
* Get 1 point per $30 in eligible FX transactions.
* Plus, OPEN Cardmembers enjoy no transaction fees on eligible international wire transfers for the first 6 months, then just $10 per transaction.1
* Business Platinum Card® members and Business Centurion Card® members receive preferred fee pricing.

http://www201.americanexpress.com/bu...ional-payments
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Looks like its for business bank accounts only.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: Lotz
I applied and faxed all documents a week ago. I have a business checking and an AmEx business card.

No response yet and their phone number never answers live.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:24 am

I'm interested in this as well. Did you hear back from them yet?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
I have received this offer twice in the last 8 months or so. When I read the fine print though you only get the 15k points when you activate your account. By activate, you must make the first transfer is the way I read it.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:55 pm

Interesting. Has anyone worked with this yet?

I have an business Amex account with OPEN, and a business checking account. I have a vendor in Canada, to which I pay a small amount each month (about $100-$200). I currently just pay with my regular Amex card & they do the currency conversion.

Think this would this work if I switched to paying with wire transfers for 3 months? 30k for just doing that would be sweet!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:23 am

Does this only apply to business AMEX cards? I'm really interested in this, as my wife does a lot of wire transfers to China (at like $15 a pop), but I only have a personal AMEX at the moment...
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:10 am

It doesn't seem to restrict it to business Amex, though it does say through a business checking account.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by emeraldtx
It doesn't seem to restrict it to business Amex, ....
Portions of the offer apply only to Business card accounts:

Special offer for OPEN Cardmembers: if your business applies for FX International Payments and is approved by American Express, American Express will waive its standard transaction free of $15 on international wire payments for the first six months, and will charge a transaction fee of $10 thereafter. This offer may be discontinued at any time. International wire payments in the same currency (for example, US Dollars to US Dollars) are not eligible for this offer. American Express will waive the standard transaction fee of $10 on international wire payments for Business Platinum Cards®
OPEN = Business
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:18 am

Has anyone applied and received the bonus points yet? I'm trying to determine the following:

It requires SSN, ID info and approval, do they pull your credit?
The first transaction you need to complete in order to activate your account, says it can be in USD, can it be from and to a US bank? not exactly an international payment, but?

what is the minimum amount you need to transfer to qualify?

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Bonesaz
Has anyone applied and received the bonus points yet? I'm trying to determine the following:

It requires SSN, ID info and approval, do they pull your credit?
The first transaction you need to complete in order to activate your account, says it can be in USD, can it be from and to a US bank? not exactly an international payment, but?

what is the minimum amount you need to transfer to qualify?

Thanks
It doesn't mention a minimum on the page regarding the bonus, and as per the FAQ:

Is there a minimum/maximum limit per transaction?
No, however we adhere to the US government banking regulations and local banking regulations in foreign markets. If a transaction raises minimum/maximum issues, we will contact the account owner immediately to help in resolving it.

I have no clue about whether that first transaction can be within the U.S. I will find out though! I'm sending in the application & crossing fingers for approval. I would rather do the activating-transaction within the U.S., as it would make it easier to get the foreign transactions complete.

I'll let you know how it goes, and if anyone has info on the credit-pull or first transaction, would love to hear it!!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by emeraldtx
It doesn't mention a minimum on the page regarding the bonus, and as per the FAQ:

Is there a minimum/maximum limit per transaction?
No, however we adhere to the US government banking regulations and local banking regulations in foreign markets. If a transaction raises minimum/maximum issues, we will contact the account owner immediately to help in resolving it.

I have no clue about whether that first transaction can be within the U.S. I will find out though! I'm sending in the application & crossing fingers for approval. I would rather do the activating-transaction within the U.S., as it would make it easier to get the foreign transactions complete.

I'll let you know how it goes, and if anyone has info on the credit-pull or first transaction, would love to hear it!!
Definitely post your results here, I'd like to sign up but don't have anyone to send a foreign transaction to activate the account.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
..oops....deleted...

Last edited by MrHalliday; Mar 27, 2011 at 1:06 am
Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:34 pm
evq

Programs: EVA Air Diamond, Fairmont Premier
I filled out the app last week, but still waiting for points...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 7:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have merged the thread started by MrHalliday with the existing discussion of this offer. Please review the previous discussion before posting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.