Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Up to 30k Membership Rewards points for using International Payments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Up to 30k Membership Rewards points for using International Payments

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DangerAvoider
... earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® points on your Membership Rewards® eligible American Express® Card ...
Originally Posted by DangerAvoider
...signed up today with my SPG AMEX Business card ...
SPG cards do not participate in Membership Rewards, is there also a version for Starpoints?

Last edited by mia; Feb 21, 2014 at 2:05 pm
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:05 pm
mia

Moderator action

DangerAvoider's thread has been transferred from MilesBuzz and appended to the established thread discussing this offer.

Last edited by mia; Feb 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: platinum card
hey guys,

My business never was approved in 2011 3 years later I was going to try again do you feel its still a good deal? They have the 30k promo again.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
I applied. Will update once I hear back from AMEX
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:34 pm

Looks like not many feedback on this promotion except that it's difficult to open the account.

It's 2018 and the offer is still the same and available.
I applied to open an account and it took few days but was opened and linked to my AMEX gold.
I made my first transaction, and I've seen them post 1 point for a $30,000 wire transaction.
I called them and they responded promptly and said that the single point was to validate my MR account and that I should receive my Bonus MR shortly.
It's been 8 days since my transaction and I have not yet had any additional points posted....

Additionally, for those who are looking to make a quick transaction for the sake of the bonus points, first, there is now a $500 minimum transfer to qualify and second, if the banks see your transaction, they MAY freeze your account and request mountain load of documents to support your transactions. I do several international wire transactions a year for many years now, but had this happen to me once where they
froze the account and it took me over a week to unfreeze it. SO, tread lightly....
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by shingu79
Looks like not many feedback on this promotion except that it's difficult to open the account.

It's 2018 and the offer is still the same and available.
I applied to open an account and it took few days but was opened and linked to my AMEX gold.
I made my first transaction, and I've seen them post 1 point for a $30,000 wire transaction.
I called them and they responded promptly and said that the single point was to validate my MR account and that I should receive my Bonus MR shortly.
It's been 8 days since my transaction and I have not yet had any additional points posted....

Additionally, for those who are looking to make a quick transaction for the sake of the bonus points, first, there is now a $500 minimum transfer to qualify and second, if the banks see your transaction, they MAY freeze your account and request mountain load of documents to support your transactions. I do several international wire transactions a year for many years now, but had this happen to me once where they
froze the account and it took me over a week to unfreeze it. SO, tread lightly....
I applied as a sole prop, and got grilled as follows:
Please reply to this email with the items below:
· A copy of your active business license with DBA (Doing Business As, Trade, Assumed or Fictitious) name registration for “yugi Consulting.”
· You indicated on your application that your business does not have a website. Please explain how your business operates and advertises.
· How many payments do plan to make each month, on average?
· A brief description of your line of business and how you will be using our Foreign Exchange International Payment services.
· 2-3 of any of the documents below in your business name and dated within the last 3 months that demonstrate your need for our Foreign Exchange International Payment services.

· Contracts· Invoices
· Service agreements
· Previous international wire receipts
· Business plan
· Marketing Materials (i.e. Brochures, Fliers, etc.)

How did you succeed to apply? I intended to do some personal wires to Canada.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
I applied as a sole prop, and got grilled as follows:
Please reply to this email with the items below:
· A copy of your active business license with DBA (Doing Business As, Trade, Assumed or Fictitious) name registration for “yugi Consulting.”
· You indicated on your application that your business does not have a website. Please explain how your business operates and advertises.
· How many payments do plan to make each month, on average?
· A brief description of your line of business and how you will be using our Foreign Exchange International Payment services.
· 2-3 of any of the documents below in your business name and dated within the last 3 months that demonstrate your need for our Foreign Exchange International Payment services.

· Contracts· Invoices
· Service agreements
· Previous international wire receipts
· Business plan
· Marketing Materials (i.e. Brochures, Fliers, etc.)

How did you succeed to apply? I intended to do some personal wires to Canada.
It maybe because our business account has been active for over 15 years with real business expenditures as well as active business checking account.
They did not request all the requested documentations and information you were asked for.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
It maybe because our business account has been active for over 15 years with real business expenditures as well as active business checking account.
They did not request all the requested documentations and information you were asked for.
Do you have business account with Amex? I have one with Chase and one with BofA.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:29 pm

May 22 18:
I've a legit business & wire money to Italy 3-6x/yr. Been receiving Amex offers for years. Finally decided to apply b/c local bank is a PITA to deal with when it comes to wire transfers. It takes them 30+ min for a transfer that should take 10 min tops. Plus, I can't fax request over anymore, need to do transfer in person.
I filled out application, received reply from Amex asking for some bit of info, I gave it to them, I think they asked for secondary email.. Whatever, it was easy. They also called to verify business.
Amex FX International Payments website is really well-designed - easy to navigate and allows me to store payee info - it's a pain to enter IBAN and other numbers time after time. Good, secure site.
Today, I went to my bank, where they took too much time to give me the rate for 53,990. euro transfer: 1.209 plus $50 wire transfer fee Local bank works with Mellon, I think.
Checked Amex FX same on my phone at same time. Amex rate for 53,990 euro transfer: 1.199
Will use Amex in the future. Excellent website, no wire transfer fee, competitive. And I get MMs.
Will check periodically to make sure Amex still tops local rate.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by acker
May 22 18:
I've a legit business & wire money to Italy 3-6x/yr. Been receiving Amex offers for years. Finally decided to apply b/c local bank is a PITA to deal with when it comes to wire transfers. It takes them 30+ min for a transfer that should take 10 min tops. Plus, I can't fax request over anymore, need to do transfer in person.
I filled out application, received reply from Amex asking for some bit of info, I gave it to them, I think they asked for secondary email.. Whatever, it was easy. They also called to verify business.
Amex FX International Payments website is really well-designed - easy to navigate and allows me to store payee info - it's a pain to enter IBAN and other numbers time after time. Good, secure site.
Today, I went to my bank, where they took too much time to give me the rate for 53,990. euro transfer: 1.209 plus $50 wire transfer fee Local bank works with Mellon, I think.
Checked Amex FX same on my phone at same time. Amex rate for 53,990 euro transfer: 1.199
Will use Amex in the future. Excellent website, no wire transfer fee, competitive. And I get MMs.
Will check periodically to make sure Amex still tops local rate.
Actually, XE.com had better rate than AMEX FX. So, if you are just taking the given rate, you can ask your sales rep over at AMEX FX to lower the rates for you. Do a comp rate between xe.com and amex fx....it's few hundreds to thousands dollars of difference and I was able to have my sales rep lower my amex rate.... so I ended up getting lower exchange rate, MR points, etc.... I'm happy.

Be forewarned, it does take several weeks to months for the MR points to post.....but they do post, eventually...
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:07 pm

Actually, XE.com had better rate than AMEX FX. So, if you are just taking the given rate, you can ask your sales rep over at AMEX FX to lower the rates for you. Do a comp rate between xe.com and amex fx....it's few hundreds to thousands dollars of difference and I was able to have my sales rep lower my amex rate.... so I ended up getting lower exchange rate, MR points, etc.... I'm happy.

Be forewarned, it does take several weeks to months for the MR points to post.....but they do post, eventually...
Wasn't there big WSJ article that AMEX would initially offer low FX rates to lure customers, and then jack up the rate? Basically every time one needs to check the rate and compare it to others.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:19 am
mia

.... XE.com had better rate than AMEX FX. ....
Were you looking at the rates that XE offers through their Money Transfer service, or the fictional "mid-market" rates that they (and others) publish for guidance?

All figures are live mid-market rates, which are not available to consumers and are for informational purposes only. To see the rates we quote for a money transfer, please sign up or log in to your XE Money Transfer account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.