Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Up to 30k Membership Rewards points for using International Payments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Up to 30k Membership Rewards points for using International Payments

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:23 pm

One of the guys at MileValue dinner told me about this yesterday. He apparently did this a year ago. I will get more details and update the thread.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by dbh1
So I found a charity in India that seemed deserving so I sent a test payment there. I am looking for other charities though that accept wire transfers.

Also, the security and lockouts, etc are annoying, but 30k points will be nice.
I don't mean to be flippant, but in all seriousness it's hard to think of anything that looks more like terrorist financing than sending wire transfers to foreign charities. I'd tread very carefully on that one
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:27 am

did anyone try this recently, and got the 30k miles? and how was the process to get the approval, any tips and ideas will be highly appreciated.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by troyhouse
did anyone try this recently, and got the 30k miles? and how was the process to get the approval, any tips and ideas will be highly appreciated.
I called to start the process this week. It was after business hours, so the agent just took my info and told me that someone will get in touch with me the day after. It's been 4 business days since I called and I haven't heard from anyone.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
I saw the 30K offer while logged in (reading the statement online), and submitted the application Nov 10. I was contacted via phone Nov 12 to confirm my application, then contacted on the morning of Nov 14 by FXIP verification to make sure it's me, and my account was ready to go at 2pm Nov 14.

The rates were semi-competitive (much better than banks, worse than FX services like USForex), but I just told them and they were able to match + beat the best rate I had by a little bit.

Placed our first FX ~4pm. The entire experience has actually been really great (which surprised me given the previous posts).

A++, would use again.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:29 pm

All wires in and out of are watched by certain USA agencies for the right reasons

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I don't mean to be flippant, but in all seriousness it's hard to think of anything that looks more like terrorist financing than sending wire transfers to foreign charities. I'd tread very carefully on that one
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:48 pm

I've applied for this and my application is currently under process. However, the thing is, I don't have any MR earning card. I only have Amex BCP & Delta Gold Skymiles. Is any one of these cards MR eligible?

Basically, I'm not very familiar with MR system as I'm not an Amex guy (more of a Chase guy). I googled it but didn't find much info there. If I'm awarded 15000 miles by Amex International Payments, what's the best use of those miles? Should I apply for any CC to get the most of these points?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cowboyguy
I've applied for this and my application is currently under process. However, the thing is, I don't have any MR earning card. I only have Amex BCP & Delta Gold Skymiles. Is any one of these cards MR eligible?

Basically, I'm not very familiar with MR system as I'm not an Amex guy (more of a Chase guy). I googled it but didn't find much info there. If I'm awarded 15000 miles by Amex International Payments, what's the best use of those miles? Should I apply for any CC to get the most of these points?
I would convert them into BA/CX/DL miles.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Is any one of these cards MR eligible?
No. American Express may open the FX account, but I don't believe you would qualify for any reward.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No. American Express may open the FX account, but I don't believe you would qualify for any reward.
No. They (Amex) said that Delta is a MR eligible card.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I would convert them into BA/CX/DL miles.
How can I convert them to BA? Are they stored somewhere in the time when I haven't converted them?

My Delta Gold skymiles are reflected in my Account Overview page of Delta card. Where are MR points reflected?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No. They (Amex) said that Delta is a MR eligible card.
This is factually inaccurate. Membership Rewards points can be converted to SkyMiles, but a SkyMiles credit card cannot have a Membership Rewards account. Perhaps they mean that they will award you SkyMiles in lieu of Membership Rewards points, or perhaps the customer service agent is simply confused.

You can read a complete list of eligible cards in the Membership Rewards Terms:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...rmsSplash.aspx
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:31 pm

30k AMEX MR for International Payments!

Stumbled upon a banner at the AMEX website that led me to this:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...0120000000tzDQ

Apply for the FX International Payments service and you can earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® points on your Membership Rewards® eligible American Express® Card when you make your first FX transaction and an additional 15,000 points when you make 3 additional FX transactions within 90 days of first foreign currency payment1. Also, you can earn 1 point for every $30 you wire internationally ( subject to limit of 4,000 points per transaction)2. Same currency wires (e.g. US Dollar to US Dollar) are not eligible for points.

Fees for American Express OPEN Card Members
American Express OPEN Card Members are eligible to receive a waiver on transaction fees on qualified foreign currency wire payments for the first six months. Afterwards, it's just $10 per FX transaction3.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:57 pm

30k AMEX MR for International Payments!

So it looks like without a business account you'd be paying $15*4=$60 minimum for 30k?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:01 pm

Yup, looks that way. I signed up today with my SPG AMEX Business card so I'll report back my findings with the fee waived.

But can't really beat 30k points for $60.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.