Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Use Points for Tix from US to Italy [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to Use Points for Tix from US to Italy [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Also look at Delta. I found 4 business class tickets to Italy / Greece for 100,000 each. Taxes were ~$120 each. We are leaving in about 2 weeks but I booked these about 8 months ago.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:11 am

Italy (Europe 1) would be 60k/90k Aeroplan miles for economy/business round-trip per ticket. Greece (Europe 2) is 75k/105k. That means, with your 160k miles, Aeroplan is only good for economy class if you want to go both to Greece and Italy. Not a good use of miles at all, especially given the fuel surcharges. Better pay cash for tickets.

On the other hand, if you are OK leaving Greece out, and going to Italy + another one or two countries in Europe 1 (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.), then you are only a little short of two business class tickets tickets, which would cost you 90k each. With Aeroplan, you are allowed two stopovers in addition to destination, so you can visit three places.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I suggest searching for award flights at united.com to see what comes up. If you find low-tier award seats available, you should be able to book them by transferring your MR points to the Aeroplan program. But note that Aeroplan assesses hefty cash surcharges for redemptions on some carriers. Check the FT Aeroplan forum for more info in the event that your search on united.com yields some low-tier award seats.

You may find it difficult to find low-tier award seats to/from Europe for summer travel at this late date. Good luck!
Thank you! I'll check United and see whether I can dig up anything.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by echino
Italy (Europe 1) would be 60k/90k Aeroplan miles for economy/business round-trip per ticket. Greece (Europe 2) is 75k/105k. That means, with your 160k miles, Aeroplan is only good for economy class if you want to go both to Greece and Italy. Not a good use of miles at all, especially given the fuel surcharges. Better pay cash for tickets.

On the other hand, if you are OK leaving Greece out, and going to Italy + another one or two countries in Europe 1 (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.), then you are only a little short of two business class tickets tickets, which would cost you 90k each. With Aeroplan, you are allowed two stopovers in addition to destination, so you can visit three places.
Thanks, chino! That's interesting. One question though - is it not possible to only use the points to cover business class tickets for the first half of the trip if we decide to keep Greece in the mix?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by jandersinc
Also look at Delta. I found 4 business class tickets to Italy / Greece for 100,000 each. Taxes were ~$120 each. We are leaving in about 2 weeks but I booked these about 8 months ago.
I really need to look into this. I wish we could think to plan our trips well in advance! It sure would make life easier. If you don't mind my asking, what cities are you flying into and out of in Italy/Greece?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
I suggest searching for award flights at united.com to see what comes up. If you find low-tier award seats available, you should be able to book them by transferring your MR points to the Aeroplan program.
Just wondering because I have no idea/or I am missing out on something here... Why does one need to find award flights on united.com to see what comes up, when you can just look on aeroplan.com? That way you know exactly how much the fuel surcharges are.

Also, wouldn't transferring to ANA be cheaper because it has way less surcharges (I think)?

Last edited by SuperKirby; Jul 11, 2013 at 7:23 am Reason: ETA
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Aeroplan does not collect fuel surcharges on flights operated by most Star Alliance partners, including US Airways and United Airlines. See the Wikipost in this thread for a list:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-travel.html

Aeroplan use a zone based redemption system. ANA uses a distance based redemption system. The best value varies by origin/destination city pair.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Aeroplan does not collect fuel surcharges on flights operated by most Star Alliance partners, including US Airways and United Airlines. See the Wikipost in this thread for a list:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-travel.html

Aeroplan use a zone based redemption system. ANA uses a distance based redemption system. The best value varies by origin/destination city pair.
THanks mia, i forgot about ANAs distance based system.

Is there an advantage to looking for award availability on united.com vs Aeroplan? They seem to be the same for me, and for the OP, using Aeroplan.com would make more sense that way you can see actual surcharges, right?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Originally Posted by MissC
I really need to look into this. I wish we could think to plan our trips well in advance! It sure would make life easier. If you don't mind my asking, what cities are you flying into and out of in Italy/Greece?
Into Athens, out of Venice.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by jandersinc
Into Athens, out of Venice.
Got it. Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:16 am

NYC - Italy best use of MR

I have 780k MR, what's the best way to use MR NYC to Itay in september on either J or F? If I'm flying J or F don't mind paying Fuel surcharges such as Aeroplan.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by ual902
I have 780k MR, what's the best way to use MR NYC to Itay in september on either J or F? If I'm flying J or F don't mind paying Fuel surcharges such as Aeroplan.
Others will certainly have comments about using miles on the major alliance carriers. My guess is that one of the easier flights for availability for redeeming awards miles and most comfortable from a standpoint of quality of service might be JFK-MXP on Emirates. As an off route and a non-major alliance carrier, I bet they might have some good award availability and you could redeem MR to Emirates. Since some premium revenue travelers will likely board in MXP for Dubai, I assume that means that the airline will not have to hold back every premium seat out of JFK for travelers flying through to Dubai. In addition, alot of travelers flying out of JFK for Italy will not necessarily be trying to fly to MXP. I would also think that Emirates J and F will surpass the quality of some of the other carriers.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:29 am
mia

Moderator action

I have appended your question to an established thread on this recurring question. While the specifics of everyone's trip are different, the basic process of searching for awards on the three Alliances is substantially similar.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:22 am

500k MR - Best Use in Florence and Rome?

I've been reading FT for many years now, but haven't really had the need to post (search is a beautiful thing). I'm going to Italy on my Honeymoon next year and I'm having difficulty maximizing my points for hotels stays.

I've booked two first/biz class roundtrip tickets on Alitalia using my Delta miles. I have 500k MR points and I'm trying to use them for hotel stays in Florence and Rome (we're doing Florence, I already booked Banfi for 4 nights in Tuscany, Rome, Amalfi Coast and either Capri or Sicily).

It seems like in Florence, the best chain/corporate option is the St. Regis. Unfortunately I only have 20k SPG points and we all know it's not worth transferring MR to SPG. In Rome, the St. Regis again gets great reviews but I have the same problem as above, and while the Waldorf Astoria also gets good reviews, staying outside of the city is not ideal.

At this point I'm tempted to just book travel via the AMEX travel portal and just use Pay With Points. I know the value is terrible, but I can't find any good MR transfer partners in Florence or Rome. At least in the travel portal there are a variety of good options. The GF has 75k Chase UR but there are no Hyatts in Florence or Rome either, which is by far Chase's best hotel transfer partner.

Anyways... If someone has had a great experience with Florence, Rome, or the Amalfi Coast using MR points for hotel stays, I'd love some recommendations. Maybe there's some airline partner that I can transfer points to and then from there to a better hotel partner, I don't know.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:58 am
mia

Welcome to Flyertalk. Don't overlook Best Western hotels. The brand includes different types of properties in Europe than it does in North America, and you may have a more authentic experience than if you stay in an international business chain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.