Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Use Points for Tix from US to Italy [Consolidated]

Best Way to Use Points for Tix from US to Italy [Consolidated]

Old Dec 5, 17, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA PP, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott LTPP, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by djc225 View Post
what is currently the best way to spend amex points to Rome. I'll likely be flying out of the NYC airports. would like something like a business class ticket for around 100k miles. Does that exist? I've been looking but not seeing anything. Travel early June 2018

I see that delta has 60,000 miles RT to Rome for main cabin but it seems like I could find a better deal?
Aeroplan charges 110K RT in business. This would be on variety of *A partners (AC, LH, TK, etc). You can also book one ways for half price.
ANA charges 88K RT in business. This would also be on *A. The catch is you need to book a round trip.

There is also Alitalia, but i'm not to familiar with them.
Old Dec 19, 17, 12:49 pm

Programs: united, americam, usair
Originally Posted by dukerau View Post
Use united.com to search. Anything that shows on there as a saver level award (except Aer Lingus flights) will be bookable with ANA or Aeroplan miles at their prices. In other words, the price shown on United.com doesn't matter. If saver is available you'd pay 55k one way with Aeroplan or 88k round trip with ANA. Obviously ANA is preferable if you can find round trip availability. If you can only find one way though Aeroplan allows you to book that for 55k one way and you could use Delta or another program for the other way.
can someone help explain how this works? so if i find a trip with delta how do i get it for 88k round trip in business class with ANA? Do i have to call ANA and ask for united partners? I'm not seeing anything on the ANA website because it says economy only and/or not enough points ( i still need to transfer from amex)
Old Dec 19, 17, 1:16 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by djc225 View Post
... i find a trip with delta how do i get it for 88k round trip in business class with ANA? ...
You cannot book a flight operated by Delta through ANA because they are members of competing alliances.

ANA belongs to Star Alliance. United Airlines also belongs to Star.

The suggestion is to look on united.com for Saver award availability. You must find Saver availability, no other type can be booked through a partner program. If you find Saver availability on united.com you should be able to book the same flights through ANA. DO NOT TRANSFER points to any airline until you have verified availability of award seats on your specific dates.

It typically takes about 48 hours to transfer points from Membership Rewards to ANA. You will probably need to contact ANA by telephone to ask if they will hold the seats for you pending transfer.
Old Jan 2, 18, 11:51 pm

Question Which airline to transfer AMEX to for SAN-FCO?

Happy New Year, everyone!

I need help before transferring AMEX points to book main cabin/econ award tickets for 4 from SAN-FCO Nov 16-Nov 25, 2018. Schedule is not quite flexible, unfortunately. I did a lot of research and found the following. The restriction is that the return flight, has to depart after 11:30AM to allow enough time to transport (disembarked at 7AM) from port to airport.

1. BA & ANA charged too much for fuel fee, etc. since only Lufthansa available. Also, ANA does not hold reservation, takes 48 hrs to xfer.
2. AA does not have saver flights to fit those dates/times to be able to book via Etihad.
3. Delta would cost $65K + ~$940 for same flights available via Flying Blue ( 50K + ~$550) for return on Nov 26. Last week, for Nov 25 return at 12PM depature from FCO, Delta was available at $60K MR then on Friday it jacked up the price to >100K/ow + $350 fee/pp. (
4. Aeroplan? I forgot my password... It seems to require higher MR for this itinerary.

Any recommendation for a decent MRs spending + fee for the return on either Nov 25, Nov 26. Preferred Nov 25 since it would cost us 1 extra day off + $150 hotel + $200 transport between port, city & airport to stay over to Nov 26.

I am a bit nervous w/ booking FB award flights. It seems to have frequent issues per FB forum. Crossing my fingers if I have to use it.

TIA!
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by kimba View Post
Happy New Year, everyone!

3. Delta would cost $65K + ~$940 for same flights available via Flying Blue ( 50K + ~$550) for return on Nov 26. Last week, for Nov 25 return at 12PM depature from FCO, Delta was available at $60K MR then on Friday it jacked up the price to >100K/ow + $350 fee/pp. (

TIA!
Correction: Delta: 260K + $940
FB: 200K + $550
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by kimba View Post
Correction: Delta: 260K + $940
FB: 200K + $550
it looks like FB is your best bet, 50k + $138 PP is not a terrible deal.
kimba likes this.
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200 View Post
it looks like FB is your best bet, 50k + $138 PP is not a terrible deal.
I am actually trying to look for better option to fly back on Nov 25-- after 11AM. That price was for for Nov 26.

For Nov25, I could find only Delta w/ a hefty tag: ~104K + $300/pp!
Old Jul 26, 19, 12:23 pm

To Italy with AMEX [Have 1,000,000 points]

First time posting. I would like to travel to Italy from Atlanta using AMEX points. What is the best way to do this? Best time of year? Etc. I've only been to Europe once. There will be 2 adults on this trip. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jul 26, 19, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Italy is a decently large and varying country. Getting to Rome or Milan will be easier than to the Amalfi Coast or Sicily. Use trains within the country. Summer will be the most difficult time to go via award travel and I find it is either overly crowded with tourists or lacking from locals going on their own vacation. Falls or Spring will probably be the best overall times.

Prices to Italy have been very low so take a look at cash prices via sites such as google.com/flights and compare to what Amex Travel is asking in points. The Amex Travel rate may be more than OTAs which can then be price erased at 1cpp.

Alternatively, you can transfer points to a participating airline transfer partner. Use Award Hacker to see what is possible then you have to do your own searching for award availability.
Old Jul 26, 19, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MrPeru Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by MrPeru View Post
First time posting. I would like to travel to Italy from Atlanta using AMEX points. What is the best way to do this? Best time of year? Etc. I've only been to Europe once. There will be 2 adults on this trip. Thanks in advance for the help!
When? In the next few months? Next year?
Do you have any existing frequent flyer miles?

Award hacker (a very general guide) ---> https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=ATL&t...=0&c=y&s=2&p=1

Credit card transfer links
Old Jul 27, 19, 6:44 pm

Hi! Thanks so much for the quick reply. Here is a little more information. We currently have more than 1 million AMEX points. I just want to make sure that I understand the advice. Should we go to the award to hack her website and follow whatever is there and we will get the best information about how to use these points to get to Italy? Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 19, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrPeru View Post
Hi! Thanks so much for the quick reply. Here is a little more information. We currently have more than 1 million AMEX points. I just want to make sure that I understand the advice. Should we go to the award to hack her website and follow whatever is there and we will get the best information about how to use these points to get to Italy? Thanks.
The awardhacker web site just shows how many ff miles are/may be needed for a particular trip. It may not be 100% accurate and does not show award availability. Is general information only.

You can use Amex points in the Amex travel portal at $0.01 per point* to buy a flight. (* check the rate- I may be incorrect)
Or transfer the Amex points to a frequent flyer program and try to get awards using ff miles, taxes & cash copayment if required. Getting 2 x business class long haul awards can be hard. Awards are not guaranteed.

Do you have any existing frequent flyer miles?

Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews
Old Jul 28, 19, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @MrPeru.

Please follow the redirect as we relocate the thread to our AMEX forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jul 29, 19, 6:23 am

You have plenty of points to get to Italy. What is your preferred departing airport and destination airport?

Search this Thread