Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Las Vegas Hotels - FHR experience [2010 -2014]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Has anyone recently stayed at THEhotel at Mandalay Bay through FHR? I'm thinking about booking, but all the reviews have been slightly dated. The alternative is the Palazzo, but that's gotten some mixed reviews. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by littlemookie
...the reviews have been slightly dated.
I think there is one at post 641 and another discussion starting at post 601, 608 and 609.
Old May 9, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I did read those posts, but those appear to me to be basic data points than a review. I was hoping someone would chime in if I should choose THEhotel over Palazzo.

Apologizes on the word "outdated" in my prior post.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:26 pm

I did read those posts, but those appear to me to be basic data points than a review. I was hoping someone would chime in if I should choose THEhotel over Palazzo.

Apologizes on the word "outdated" in my prior post.
What are you talking about?
Mia was nice enough to link a bunch of MB reviews, including mine from a week ago.
Not sure how much more input you need ...... ???

Palazzo is not a great FHR property ...... But depends on the comparative rates, what you're doing, etc.

As I said above, THE hotel is a very good deal. Snagging a 800 sq ft suite + the amenities for < 300/nt is good value IMO
Old May 9, 2013, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by scott1212
the remodeled rooms at MGM Grand were decent enough, but I had to wait in line almost 3 hours just to check in
Great review. Thanks.

Are you serious about the MGM checkin time? I will ensure I am never booked at MGM if that is anywhere near normal!? The flight from Chicago is less time!??
Old May 9, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
mandalay bay's THEhotel reviews from this year

http://travel-summary.com/hotel-revi...-resorts-rate/

http://first2board.com/pointssummary...review-part-1/

http://first2board.com/pointssummary...review-part-2/
Old May 10, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Visa Signature, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Great review. Thanks.

Are you serious about the MGM checkin time? I will ensure I am never booked at MGM if that is anywhere near normal!? The flight from Chicago is less time!??
FYI...you can check into MGM at the airport, often with no wait.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:00 pm

Has anyone recently stayed at THEhotel at Mandalay Bay through FHR? I'm thinking about booking, but all the reviews have been slightly dated. The alternative is the Palazzo, but that's gotten some mixed reviews. Any advice greatly appreciated.
I stayed at TheHotel on FHR this week. Rate was excellent. $40 per person was very generous for breakfast. Front desk said could alo be used at lunch but ymmv. Room was well worn. I assume maintainance is being deferred in anticipation of remodel into Delano.

I'd suggest requesting a room that does not face airport to cut plane and helicopter noise.

I cant comment on Palazzo since i have never stayed there.

In summary, thehotel can be a value but it isnt a great hotel.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Great review. Thanks.

Yeah, I was serious about the wait, and after waiting hours to speak to a checkin clerk, many people then waited another hour or more in the belldesk line to have their bags held since their rooms weren't ready! It was unbelievably frustrating. MGM Grand is simply grossly inefficient, at least when it comes to checking in. It was insanely bad on that Sunday, but over the next several days I continued to observe unacceptable lines to check-in. Thankfully, I was able to check out on-line.

A friend flying in that day tried to check in for MGM Grand at the airport (I had sent him a text urging him to do so), but said they were closed. This was mid-day on a Sunday.

I can list a dozen other things that made MGM Grand terrible during that stay, but I don't want to relive it. Suffice it to say, there are much nicer properties on the Strip and they're often not much more expensive. MGM Grand is simply too (physically) big for its own good; I think it isn't cost effective for them to staff it at "full" capacity, yet they strive to hit full capacity as often as they can.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by scott1212
Yeah, I was serious about the wait, and after waiting hours to speak to a checkin clerk, many people then waited another hour or more in the belldesk line to have their bags held since their rooms weren't ready! It was unbelievably frustrating. MGM Grand is simply grossly inefficient, at least when it comes to checking in. It was insanely bad on that Sunday, but over the next several days I continued to observe unacceptable lines to check-in. Thankfully, I was able to check out on-line.

A friend flying in that day tried to check in for MGM Grand at the airport (I had sent him a text urging him to do so), but said they were closed. This was mid-day on a Sunday.

I can list a dozen other things that made MGM Grand terrible during that stay, but I don't want to relive it. Suffice it to say, there are much nicer properties on the Strip and they're often not much more expensive. MGM Grand is simply too (physically) big for its own good; I think it isn't cost effective for them to staff it at "full" capacity, yet they strive to hit full capacity as often as they can.
this is what you do.. go to the Preferred/VIP check-in desk and tip them $20 for them to check you in there and perhaps score an upgrade with that same $20 ($20 trick).. never wait in line again
Old May 20, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I was wondering I know with Bellagio you get the $85 olives coupon, can we use that coupon at a later date? or can i give it to a friend to use?
Old May 20, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
I was wondering I know with Bellagio you get the $85 olives coupon, can we use that coupon at a later date? or can i give it to a friend to use?
Dated from what I remember
Old May 20, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
so as long as I use it purchase it during those dates? so anyone can use it
Old May 20, 2013, 6:21 pm

Palazzo has a better location IMO, but I'd take THEhotel for a cheaper rate and MUCH better benefits. I wrote a review about THEhotel but haven't gotten around to the Palazzo one yet.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:25 pm

Does anyone know if you can use the $100 FHR F&B credit at Palazzo at a restaurant in the Venetian?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.