Las Vegas Hotels - FHR experience [2010 -2014]

Closed Thread

Old Jun 18, 12, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Alaska MVP75; RC Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Enigma368 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Sounds like Encore is the one for me to try out. For the 3 nights I would stay it is $720 with Amex FHR before tax or I can get it for $430ish on hotels.com after discounts and cashback.

Are the FHR benefits in Encore worth an extra $290 for 3 nights? I know I'd get $240 in breakfast credit but in reality I would never normally spend that much on breakfast so its not really saving me $240. Can the breakfast credit in Encore be used for all day breakfast at Encore's 24/7 restaurant(someone said this was possible in another hotel)?

I think I will probably just book through hotels and lose out on the breakfast and upgrade(dont really care about spa). Unless someone advises me otherwise?
I found the same $430 deal on Amex Travel (not FHR), and you get 2x MR points if you reserve there. I didn't think the amenities were worth the extra $300 for FHR; I can certainly find a way to use that money in LV.
Old Jun 19, 12, 4:56 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
At the Skylofts received an upgrade from a 2 bed to a 3 bed (6000 Sq Ft) for two nights in May.
Old Jun 20, 12, 12:09 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I am staying at the Encore this weekend booked through FHR a month ago. My average nightly rate, with taxes, is $301/night for Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon. But there is a 4th free night promo now through 8/25, so that effectively reduces my nightly rate to $225 (all in).

Is it even worth asking for the upgrade?

Also, the FHR rep tells me that the 4th night 'free' will be a credit on my folio at checkout. I know the first two nights are more expensive than the second two, but she said the credit will be 1/4 of my total room bill (not including incidentals, of course). Any experiences on this? I don't want to argue with the desk and then have to call FHR if they credit me the lower priced, 4th night. That's about a $120 difference.

Also, where is the continental breakfast served? Is it only cold dishes, and does the restaurant/hotel allow an add-on fee for hot food?
Old Jun 20, 12, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat, US Air Silver, JPM Palladium
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
I am staying at the Encore this weekend booked through FHR a month ago. My average nightly rate, with taxes, is $301/night for Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon. But there is a 4th free night promo now through 8/25, so that effectively reduces my nightly rate to $225 (all in).

Is it even worth asking for the upgrade?

Also, the FHR rep tells me that the 4th night 'free' will be a credit on my folio at checkout. I know the first two nights are more expensive than the second two, but she said the credit will be 1/4 of my total room bill (not including incidentals, of course). Any experiences on this? I don't want to argue with the desk and then have to call FHR if they credit me the lower priced, 4th night. That's about a $120 difference.

Also, where is the continental breakfast served? Is it only cold dishes, and does the restaurant/hotel allow an add-on fee for hot food?
In my experience, they always acknowledge you booked through FHR and will go through the perks. They will automatically upgrade you if available.

RE breakfast, you have a choice of 3 (I think) restaurants, and room service. Its the full menu served during breakfast time, $40 per person per day.
Old Jun 20, 12, 12:51 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by kethee View Post
RE breakfast, you have a choice of 3 (I think) restaurants, and room service. Its the full menu served during breakfast time, $40 per person per day.
Thanks for the info. Is that a flat credit per day for breakfast that comes off at the end of the stay? IOW, if we order room service how much of that is included?
Old Jun 20, 12, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Thanks for the info. Is that a flat credit per day for breakfast that comes off at the end of the stay? IOW, if we order room service how much of that is included?
I stayed at Encore last November and there were only a couple of breakfast places where the FHR perks were available. I'm not 100%, but I can't remember room service being part of the FHR program. In any case, I ate at the Society Cafe every morning and the entire amounts were deducted from the bill at check-out.
Old Jun 20, 12, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat, US Air Silver, JPM Palladium
yes it comes off at the end of the stay, same thing for room service. I ate at the cafe near the pool (forgot the name) each day except one where I ordered room service about 30 past the breakfast cutoff, and they still gave it to me.
Old Jun 20, 12, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
You need to eat at the specific resturants at breakfast time and then they just take the credits off. If you eat at 5pm, even in the same resturants, they won't give you the credits.
Old Jun 20, 12, 7:01 pm

They are fairly flexible at the Encore - I usually eat at the Buffet restaurant at the Wynn for breakfast which costs $19.99 (excl sales tax/tips) and get a coffee or other drink at the Cafe to takeaway. Never had a problem with them crediting that back in final bill.
Old Jun 20, 12, 7:03 pm

@ Encore, Room Service is terrific and a great use of this credit. It's Vegas; why wake up early?
Old Jun 21, 12, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
booked Aria $149+tax using WOW12 promotion, figuring out the tax and $25.00+tax resort fee would end up costing $200 for the room. I would then have $300 of resort credit to play with since the $500 resort credit can be used towards the credit of the room.

I checked in at the Invited guests/VIP line since I used AMEX Platinum travel services and usually you can use those lines if you booked via PTS. I kindly reminded the agent if the WOW12 promotion was coded in my reservation (i even called a few days to confirm as well). He said it was coded and that I could charge anything to the room, like in room dining, restaurants, spa, nightclub expenses, all EXCEPT retail.

I used my credit at the Skybox Sports Bar (3-6pm happy hour!), The Buffet, Chill Zone, View Bar, Sirio Restaurant (they have a great pre fixe menu for $49pp), and Cafe Vettro

Here are a few tips on blowing leftover resort credit: Jean Phillipe has a bakery and gift shop that you can purchase gifts and take them to go. It won't count as retail since it's not coded as Retail. I bought a bunch of Fiji waters at Chill gelato (no tip needed)

When you review the bill summary on the TV monitor, it will only display the TIP amount. Lets say you spent $40+tax on the buffet, it wont show on the TV screen because it gets taken off immediately. Lets say I spent $100 and left $15 tip on Sirio restaurant... it will just say SIRIO - $15.00 . Be sure to take pics of all your receipts and just add them up on a piece of paper for reference.

I will answer any questions anyone might have.
Old Jun 21, 12, 3:56 pm

what card do you have? us based? personal or business?
Old Jun 21, 12, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by flyinghigh2011 View Post
what card do you have? us based? personal or business?
us plat personal
Old Jun 21, 12, 11:10 pm

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by jammanxc View Post
us plat personal
Careful to have a backup plan when you arrive (reports have been hit or miss with the staff's attentiveness and enforcement of the WOW deal for only non-US cards). Amex will not back you up if they charge your card when you've left, either... :-(
Good luck.
Old Jun 22, 12, 12:56 am

For those staying at encore, their room service is second to none. I would highly recommend using your credits at least once if staying there

Search this Thread