Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Extended Warranty after card cancellation [but still holding another card]

Old Dec 24, 2010, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond

As I consider cancelling my Gold card in favor of cheaper alternatives, I have been trying to figure out if the extended warranty I get for electronics will continue to work. So far I see various reports and speculation online and hear various things from CSRs.

From personal experience, I did have a regular Gold (or maybe it was a Premier Gold before the Premier Rewards came out) on which I purchased an iPhone. 2 months out of the iPhone warranty it broke, Apple said I was out of luck, and I was able to get a refund pretty easily on my closed Gold card and subsequently a check for the balance. However I don't know if this was only because I had "upgraded" (actually I applied for a new Premier Rewards Gold for the bonus and later added it to my account).

I wonder if this would work if I "downgraded" (i.e. paid less annual fee) for an SPG or a Blue card. Or would they then tell me I can't get a warranty payment because I no longer have the card open?

It wouldn't be terrible for me to gradually move major purchases to a Blue card while keeping the Premier Rewards card open (the 2x/3x points pays for the fee, though I am forfeiting potential 2-3% cash back on other cards as a cost). My other option at this point is to just apply for a Platinum card hopefully with a 50k bonus to pay for membership and a Blue card at the same time, while all the major purchases in the last year on my Gold card either run out of warranty or go obsolete, and during that time make any purchases where I'd want the extended warranty on my Blue, which I can always keep around even as the Platinum/Gold card benefits dwindle.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: Continental Gold, Hyatt Silver, SPG Gold, Nobody @ (AA/NW)
Talking Blue does it well

I had a camera that my friend flung out of his hand accidentally on my Blue Cash card (no annual fee) and they literally had the $ refunded to me less than 24 hrs after I called them for the accidental damage for 90 days rule.

It has given me a savings on fixing a laptop before as well - I have had literally no issues with Accidental Damage or Extended Warranty with amex. So personal experience, having never faced an issue, do not even see need to get Gold/other card for that purpose (other reasons abound).
Old Dec 24, 2010, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by globalcitizen
I had a camera that my friend flung out of his hand accidentally on my Blue Cash card (no annual fee) and they literally had the $ refunded to me less than 24 hrs after I called them for the accidental damage for 90 days rule.

It has given me a savings on fixing a laptop before as well - I have had literally no issues with Accidental Damage or Extended Warranty with amex. So personal experience, having never faced an issue, do not even see need to get Gold/other card for that purpose (other reasons abound).
I presume you had purchased those items on the Blue card though? My issue is that I have items purchased on a Gold card, which I want to cancel, but wonder if cancelling my Gold card would invalidate the warranty. For example, I purchased my current iPhone on my Gold card in September of this year. If I cancel my Gold card now, while keeping an Amex card on file (Blue), then my iPhone breaks in December of next year when the iPhone is no longer on the manufacturer's warranty, will Amex balk at giving me a refund because I am no longer an active member of the card on which the phone was purchased? I assume if I upgrade, they wouldn't care (which is what happened last time).
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
Question

Has their been any conclusion to this? If you buy on a Platinum then downgrade the Platinum to a Blue Card with no annual fee, I assume you lose the upgrade "Loss" protection, but do you retain your extended warranty protection since the Blue Card would have that as well? Or is it possible to "Merge" Amex cards when canceling and have the benefit roll onto the merged card (e.g., an SPG amex)?

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:45 pm

I think there's a thread somewhere that asked the question in the situation of an upgrade from gold to plat. My recollection seems to be that if you upgrade your card, you get continued protection. But if you applied for the plat separately -- either to get more bonus points or because you hadn't held the gold card long enough for an upgrade -- you'd get an entirely new card number and would lose protection for items purchase with the gold card if you cancel it.

All that said, my memory is not what it once was, and I could have all, half or none of this wrong. Someone with better search skills may be able to find the discussion.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Please read the Certificate of Insurance included in the membership package.

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....7_03_03_09.pdf

I read it as: so long as you are a Cardmember (in good standing, any US AMEX card), the coverage is in effect.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
Please read the Certificate of Insurance included in the membership package.

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....7_03_03_09.pdf

I read it as: so long as you are a Cardmember (in good standing, any US AMEX card), the coverage is in effect.
I agree that is the better reading but it also is ambiguous. Account is a defined term meaning "Your American Express Card Account," which is not a defined term in this agreement but likely could be elsewhere like in the cardmember agreement. Simple phone call should resolve the doubt.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by lkar
Simple phone call should resolve the doubt.
call the claims line and ask, not just any amex rep...
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:45 pm
In memoriam

Recently had a computer accessory that died within the two year Amex extended warranty period (1 yr mfg warranty). But, I had closed the card I bought the product with.

Called Amex, told no problem, they immediately credited purchase price to one of my other, open accounts.

Didn't even want the defective product back, so it is now in the recycle at next computer recycling event pile.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by crazypalooza
call the claims line and ask, not just any amex rep...
Agreed..

I would get it from the horses mouth.. please post back your answer..

inquiring minds like to know..
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Silver
Does anyone have a definitive answer on the question raised by the OP?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:13 am
In memoriam

Yes.

Read my post 8 just above.

Time to close this thread.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Yes.

Read my post 8 just above.

Time to close this thread.
As long as you have any open amex card, you are fine.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by amrom
As long as you have any open amex card, you are fine.
Shut down the Amex card you purchased with.. then it sounds like the extended and additional warranties are no longer..

I'm going through the same dillemma of purchasing with a card where services are contracted.. but the contractor hasn't fulfilled the services.. so if I go to court and get the judgement, I guess it'll be important to keep the card open so that the charge can be reversed?.. at least this is my assumption..
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Shut down the Amex card you purchased with.. then it sounds like the extended and additional warranties are no longer..

I'm going through the same dillemma of purchasing with a card where services are contracted.. but the contractor hasn't fulfilled the services.. so if I go to court and get the judgement, I guess it'll be important to keep the card open so that the charge can be reversed?.. at least this is my assumption..
If you actually have a court judgement, I would assume you would reasonably expect payment by certified check or the like, but maybe an expert on civil procedure could chime in.

If you are just using your credit card's charge back procedures, leaving it open would probably give you more clout with your card company for them to reverse the charge even though they, in theory, should treat it the same way. The law basically states that the credit card companies can't force you to pay for something you didn't get. Again, maybe the appropriate attorney on these boards can expand upon that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.