Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Extended Warranty after card cancellation [but still holding another card]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extended Warranty after card cancellation [but still holding another card]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Good thing I came across this as I was prepared to charge the iPhone X on the Platinum that I'll most likely be closing sometime next year.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:09 am

The primary reason that I've kept my Amex is because of this extended warranty offering. I read the terms of my other cards...most were supplemental/in excess. I usually buy an extra year of extended warranty on phones, laptops, and the alike, and Amex adds their extra year on top of that not to run in parallel to the last year.

I checked my visa signature and those are all in excess/parallel. Looks like Citi adds two years and its like Amex, to start at the end of the extended term. Anyone have any feedback (success versus failures) using Citi's extended warranty feature in comparison to Amex's?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by frudd38
Good thing I came across this as I was prepared to charge the iPhone X on the Platinum that I'll most likely be closing sometime next year.
A lot of the comments in this thread talk about the coverage being canceled if the card is closed.

Is there a difference if the card is downgraded instead of closed?

I have a Plat I’m considering closing at the end of this month before my annual fee hits and am
trying to decide which card to purchase an iPhone X on. If it would make a difference, I might consider downgrading (instead of closing) to the cheapest card that would preserve my account (Green or whatever?), since the account would technically not be closed and I would still technically be a cardholder.

Probably a moot point as I’ll go with the AppleCare and likely won’t have the phone more than two years, but you never know.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Hello, trying to revive old thread. Any recent data points if you close Amex card but still have another Amex, will extended warranty benefits still apply? I have Amex Plat, looking to close. Still have Amex everyday, Marriott Bonvoy, Delta. Amex. Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
Does extended warranty work if the card is cancelled?

I looked around the forum and on the extended warranty thread and couldn't find a clear answer, so your thoughts would be useful.

I'm buying a new laptop but am worried about using my Amex Platinum as I intend to cancel it this year. I have a Visa Infinite with a similar benefit. Would you use the Visa Infinite in this case?

I will remain an Everyday cardholder. (I could also use that card I guess.)
Old May 24, 2020, 10:27 am

I just called them about similar situation.
First ladt i spoke to said it wont cover... I then read her the T&C's
Coverage will terminate automatically on the earliest of the following:
1. the date You no longer maintain a Permanent Residence in the 50 United States of America, or the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands;
2. the date We notify You of our determination that Your enrollment or claims information contains an intentional misrepresentation or intentional fraudulent statement or intentionally fails to disclose material information;
3. the date You terminate Your Account and are no longer a Card Member;
4. the date Your Account is cancelled by American Express; or
5. the date the Plan is not available in the location where You maintain a Permanent Residence.

Your Account is defined the credit card , but card member is defined as ANY amex card. she spoke to her manager and said it should be covered
learnedpaw likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Just thought I’d add my data point to keep this thread somewhat up to date - I called today to ask if I’d lose my extended warranty if I canceled the card used for the purchase and was told so long as I have an Amex card active I would still be covered. So same conclusion reached by raftamaf 11 months ago.

I am guessing I won’t be able to call up long ago statements on a canceled card so I do plan to take special care with the credit card statement showing the purchase along with the store receipt.
ryandelmundo likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Terms on the Plat Card:

Are benefits still eligible when the Card Account is not Active?
Yes if the eligible payment is made for a Covered Purchase prior to the effective date of the benefit cancelation

I was looking as my Apple Watch was acting up this afternoon and after checking I appear to have used an AMEX that I no longer have. Hopefully I'm not the test-case for this but will make me feel better as I usually make sure I use a card I'm going to keep for purchases where I want a warranty. My not-working iPhone FACEID will be the first test as soon as I get back to the States (which I bought with a card I still have).
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Terms on the Plat Card:

Are benefits still eligible when the Card Account is not Active?
Yes if the eligible payment is made for a Covered Purchase prior to the effective date of the benefit cancelation

I was looking as my Apple Watch was acting up this afternoon and after checking I appear to have used an AMEX that I no longer have. Hopefully I'm not the test-case for this but will make me feel better as I usually make sure I use a card I'm going to keep for purchases where I want a warranty. My not-working iPhone FACEID will be the first test as soon as I get back to the States (which I bought with a card I still have).
So did it work out?

I see the same terms on the Hilton Surpass card here and it seems pretty cut and dry that even if you close the card, the purchase is eligible for an extended warranty claim.

Looks like a few years ago Amex denied some posters upthread because they had closed their cards, but seems pretty certain now that even if you close the card you don't lose the extended warranty coverage?

Does anyone disagree? Am I missing something?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by abcx
So did it work out?
No my watch started working again.

I did file a claim for my iPhone and got $650 for the warranty claim and an additional bit for tax! Thank you Chase Freedom.

It was a bit tricky as I paid with Apple Pay and the receipt doesn't have a matching number for the credit card as Apple Pay generates a random number. Took several frustrating calls until someone figured out the issue, and then said "oh don't worry about it."

So those paying with any card including Amex (as this is an Amex thread) just to save any hassle later might be best not to use Apple Pay or similar when you're making a purchase that you want with the extended warranty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.