Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Extended Warranty after card cancellation [but still holding another card]

Extended Warranty after card cancellation [but still holding another card]

Old Feb 10, 13, 1:30 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

webazoid's question has been appended to the established thread on this topic.
Old Jun 19, 14, 4:30 pm

Anyone know if the amex extended warranties continue even after canceling the credit card? (Eg if I get amex gold and buy iphone 6 then cancel before 1yr is up does my extended warranty no longer exist?)
Old Jun 19, 14, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by anorexicwallet View Post
Anyone know if the amex extended warranties continue even after canceling the credit card? (Eg if I get amex gold and buy iphone 6 then cancel before 1yr is up does my extended warranty no longer exist?)
No, it doesn't continue.
Old Jun 19, 14, 10:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Actually as long as you have another American Express Card the extended warranty coverage will still be in effect. I have had the fee free Costco Amex for many years and change my other Amex card for bonuses every year or two and have used the extended warranty benefit many times. I get the credit applied to my Costco AMEX, no matter which AMEX I used.

Beware of these offers in actually getting the points. I am still fighting with AMEX as I had a similar offered I applied for in March and have not gotten the bonus points and AMEX says they have no record. I just sent them a copy of my offer and we will see what they say now.
Old Jun 20, 14, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by holocker View Post
Actually as long as you have another American Express Card the extended warranty coverage will still be in effect. I have had the fee free Costco Amex for many years and change my other Amex card for bonuses every year or two and have used the extended warranty benefit many times. I get the credit applied to my Costco AMEX, no matter which AMEX I used.

Beware of these offers in actually getting the points. I am still fighting with AMEX as I had a similar offered I applied for in March and have not gotten the bonus points and AMEX says they have no record. I just sent them a copy of my offer and we will see what they say now.
Good to know.
I will save my offer/application letter and scan it just incase my points dont show up. But also after I activate the card will confirm on the phone or through secure message as well.
Old Jun 20, 14, 9:37 am

I called amex last night to ask this question and they told me that any purchase I made would have the extended warranty nulled if I no longer had that card in possession. I wonder If that's just the canned answer they told me and not actual reality....
Old Jul 30, 14, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by anorexicwallet View Post
I called amex last night to ask this question and they told me that any purchase I made would have the extended warranty nulled if I no longer had that card in possession. I wonder If that's just the canned answer they told me and not actual reality....
I just got denied because I had closed the Amex account that the purchase was made on (I do have other Amex accounts still open).
Old Jul 30, 14, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by dustbuster View Post
I just got denied because I had closed the Amex account that the purchase was made on (I do have other Amex accounts still open).
What are the other Amex products you have? Do they have the extended warranty benefit?
Old Sep 18, 14, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by hytekjosh View Post
What are the other Amex products you have? Do they have the extended warranty benefit?
I just had this happen as well. Denied because the specific card is closed.

I have plenty of other Amex cards, all with extended warranty.
Old Sep 24, 14, 11:44 am

I just got the Business Plat card and called the line and was told if I cancel the card, the warranty is nulled. Need to make a purchase today and my new Chase Ink Bold is not here yet either. UGH!
Old Nov 15, 14, 10:54 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Amex Plat extended warranty dead when card is canceled?

Just want to confirm that I am correct in my assumption that the extended warranty benefit on the Amex pers. plat card is canceled when the card is canceled? Even if I have other Amex cards that are active...

I stupidly used my plat card last year to buy an iPad when I knew I was going to be canceling the card in a few months (should have used my Chase SP). My mistake didn't occur to me until I canceled the card but it was too late at that point and of course said iPad has crashed and died after a mere 18 months... Apple does not want to replace it. I will persist with them but I am not hopeful for a resolution in my favor.

A cautionary tale for those of us who churn, don't use a card you don't plan on keeping when buying electronics!
Old Nov 16, 14, 4:44 pm

Amex and Wells Fargo

Going to cancel my AMEX SPG card. Still have a AMEX network card with Wells Fargo Propel, which I believe still utilizes AMEX for warranty.

Am I still protected on my older AMEX SPG purchases?
Old Nov 16, 14, 6:35 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by medellinfein View Post
...I believe still utilizes AMEX for warranty.
Not if this is the current document:

https://www08.wellsfargomedia.com/as...ts_summary.pdf

See page 14:

Terms of Service for Retail Protection and Extended Warranty
Wells Fargo Propel 365 American Express® Card
Virginia Surety Company, Inc.
Covered Card means the Wells Fargo Propel 365 American Express® Card

Last edited by mia; Nov 16, 14 at 7:20 pm
Old Nov 17, 14, 11:55 am

Looks like i got bad info from the WF banker who signed me up. Thanks mia
Old Nov 18, 14, 11:49 am

I've been an Amex card holder for a number of years. Purchased a computer back in 2011 on a Gold card, got a Platinum card after, and eventually canceled the Gold. The claims representative stated that I am ineligible for coverage because I canceled the original card product even though I still have an active card product that provides the same or better benefits.

edit: after some research, I purchased on a Platinum that was downgraded to a Gold that is still technically the same account #, and the gold has the benefits so I should be OK. I've moved all of my spend to a card with 2% cash back and wanted to cancel my Amex but I will be keeping it because of the things I've purchased over the years I want the extended warranty coverage for. To me the annual fee for the Gold is worth it just for that.

Last edited by mysterym; Nov 7, 15 at 12:19 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: